Neumann NDH 30
Sep 8, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #3,316 of 4,939
It seems like what this does is "downgrade" your balanced amp signal to SE so it works with a SE headphone. Whatever advantage the balanced output offered would be lost in that case.
I think that’s exactly what it does, presumably so that if you have a device which only has the 4.4 balanced output you can still use a single ended cable was it.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #3,317 of 4,939
I'm not even sure why Ifi decided to make those unless they are made specifically with one of their ifi amplifiers but still, I don't think that's possible. There are 3.5mm BAL out there like that of the Shanling M0 Pro which I have a 3.5mm BAL to 4.4mm BAL adapter.

BAL to SE possible
SE to BAL likely to be impossible
I suppose that ifi used ONLY ONE of the minus (-) signlas for ground connection to the 3.5mm female. Maybe they used the other (-) signal for the second 3.5 female (explaining why the made a double female connector). Their note almost suggest this but not in a crystal clear way. This way the two minus (-) signals never meet each other. @Maxpain is right to be confused, we all are by this strange (but maybe innovative?) connector. However, it really seems like a solution to a problem that creates another problem.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #3,318 of 4,939
I am definitely confused about it...especially when someone said that it could hurt my amplifier which is one of the ifi's also.

I am also curious now...so I will contact them through their support form and ask them if it is safe to use with the exact amp.

Ultimately my goal was not to get balanced signal from the amp but use the 4.4 output because according to what I am experiencing the 3.5 one is more noisy and and unclear than the balanced one.

I also searched Neumann website and they don't have listed any balanced 4.4 cable for the ndh30 maybe it will come later.

In any case tomorrow I will be auditioning them and I will post my first impressions!

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #3,319 of 4,939
I am definitely confused about it...especially when someone said that it could hurt my amplifier which is one of the ifi's also.
The adapter just takes the positive of the left and right channels with a common ground to the chassis, the left and right negative are not used. The voltage output will be reduced, halved probably, but shouldn't cause any issues with the amp.

what I am experiencing the 3.5 one is more noisy and and unclear than the balanced one.
It's possible but normally they should be the same once volume is matched unless the single ended signal is going though some additional circuitry for some odd reason.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #3,320 of 4,939
I suppose that ifi used ONLY ONE of the minus (-) signlas for ground connection to the 3.5mm female.
Hi headstef..That would cause a problem with the amp as it is part of the active signal processing and not a ground.
Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 10.59.19 AM.png

Here is the schematic from a Bryston BHA1, the ifi may be similar.
Bryston BHA1 schematic. (detail of the XLR and single ended outputs)
Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.29.04 AM.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #3,321 of 4,939
Hi guys,
quistion. On one cup on my headphones the holder has noticeable slightly more tolerances to wiggle than the other side. Dont know if its a issue or just tolerances an sooner than later both start to wiggle slightly more or less anyway? What is your experience on this topic on yours? Both super equal tight?

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,322 of 4,939
Hi guys,
quistion. On one cup on my headphones the holder has noticeable slightly more tolerances to wiggle than the other side. Dont know if its an issue or just tolerances a sooner than later both start to wiggle slightly more or less anyway? What is your experience on this topic on yours? Both super equal tight?
I’ve found differences between L and R sides to be normal.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #3,324 of 4,939
Hi headstef..That would cause a problem with the amp as it is part of the active signal processing and not a ground.

Here is the schematic from a Bryston BHA1, the ifi may be similar.

The adapter just takes the positive of the left and right channels with a common ground to the chassis, the left and right negative are not used. The voltage output will be reduced, halved probably, but shouldn't cause any issues with the amp.

It's possible but normally they should be the same once volume is matched unless the single ended signal is going though some additional circuitry for some odd reason.
Is it possible to use only the positive signals and a common ground? Positive signals in balanced topology only carry half of the waveform. What kind of sound can be reproduced if the negative part of a sinewave (half part of signal) is missing? I don't really know much about balanced topology, this solution makes me wonder. :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #3,325 of 4,939
Is it possible to use only the positive signals and a common ground? Positive signals in balanced topology only carry half of the waveform. What kind of sound can be reproduced if the negative part of a sinewave (half part of signal) is missing? I don't really know much about balanced topology, this solution makes me wonder. :thinking:
The left positive has one half and the right positive has the other half ?

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #3,326 of 4,939
Is it possible to use only the positive signals and a common ground?
It is still just an alternating current and not a waveform as such powering a passive device,
Positive signals in balanced topology only carry half of the waveform.
.......unlike a balanced electrical signal incorporated between active devices to reduce noise, the signal going to the headphones is only a grounding scheme... by not having a common ground, "in theory" it reduces any leakage between the left and right channels.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #3,327 of 4,939
This weekend I am going to audition the ndh30's and If I like them I will be getting them.

Now I would like to run them balanced from my zen can signature because its SE output definitely degrades quality (not just volume)....tested with the 660s which doesn't require much power...at least to my ears....

Now there are various 3.5 to 4.4 adapters out there.....

Would it be a good idea to run the ndh30's with their stock cable with such an adapter to my 4.4 balanced output of zen can?

Would that work and if so....would I be getting anything better assuming zen can is designed to sound better through that output? I don't mean power but cleaner sound as hd660s sounds so much cleaner on that output
You will short out your balanced amp. Don’t try to cheap out and just get a new 4.4 cable.

Sep 9, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #3,328 of 4,939
You run R+ as your R, L+ as your L and tie R- and L- together as ground. Ground on 4.4 is not used IIRC. You get the full signal but with 6db decrease in voltage because you are effectively halving your voltage.

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,329 of 4,939
I’ve found differences between L and R sides to be normal.
Thank you for the feedback. I think I'm being a bit too picky. Other than that, I'm super happy.
Got my black ones yesterday. Looking damn good. Here is a side by side pic with my 660S2. My biggest (luxery)concern now is that I like both.

IMG_7619.jpg

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #3,330 of 4,939

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back