Neumann NDH 30
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3,286 of 5,008
Obviously, just very odd though?
Probably just following our real estate market. :joy:
Compared to the US, everything monetary is pretty much worthless in Canada now. Except for lodging in Toronto and Vancouver šŸ˜®

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #3,288 of 5,008
Sure, and it shouldnā€™t sound the same as the 30ā€™s. I paid $190 for the 560S, and considered them to be an amazing bargain!!
That they are, I paid 150 for them. You could have had mine on the classifieds for 110+ shipping :D

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #3,289 of 5,008
This weekend I am going to audition the ndh30's and If I like them I will be getting them.

Now I would like to run them balanced from my zen can signature because its SE output definitely degrades quality (not just volume)....tested with the 660s which doesn't require much power...at least to my ears....

Now there are various 3.5 to 4.4 adapters out there.....

Would it be a good idea to run the ndh30's with their stock cable with such an adapter to my 4.4 balanced output of zen can?

Would that work and if so....would I be getting anything better assuming zen can is designed to sound better through that output? I don't mean power but cleaner sound as hd660s sounds so much cleaner on that output

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #3,290 of 5,008
Would it be a good idea to run the ndh30's with their stock cable with such an adapter to my 4.4 balanced output of zen can?

Despite beeing balanced able on the 2,5mm side there is an usual TRS pinout on the 3,5mm plug. They will not turn balanced by using an 4,4mm adapter. I dont know the zen can but worst case if it has no portection circuit in it is that your balanced output break due to short circuit.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,291 of 5,008
This weekend I am going to audition the ndh30's and If I like them I will be getting them.

Now I would like to run them balanced from my zen can signature because its SE output definitely degrades quality (not just volume)....tested with the 660s which doesn't require much power...at least to my ears....

Now there are various 3.5 to 4.4 adapters out there.....

Would that work and if so....would I be getting anything better assuming zen can is designed to sound better through that output? I don't mean power but cleaner sound as hd660s sounds so much cleaner on that output

If It understand you correctly, I hate to say it but you canā€™t do that, itā€™s possible that you could damage the amp.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #3,292 of 5,008
I don't want to get balanced signal from the stock cable....I want to use the 4.4 output of the zen can with a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.

For example ifi has one...their advertisement said that someone can use that if they want to connect 3.5 cables to 4.4 dac/amps.......

I am not familiar with any technicalities that is why I am asking that. Sadly the SE output of the zen can is significantly worse than the 4.4 one.....

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #3,293 of 5,008
I want to use the 4.4 output of the zen can with a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.
I am not familiar with any technicalities that is why I am asking that.
Please donā€™t be offended by me, but writing something like this in the 21st century is medieval.
The simplest circuit of five wires, and in your example even four and two speakers (drivers), confuses modern people. It seems to me that humanity in its evolution turned back.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #3,294 of 5,008
You canā€™t, or should I say shouldnā€™t, try to connect a balanced output to a single ended pair of headphones. You can go the other way and connect a single ended output to balanced headphones.

The NDH30 are internally balanced, but the cable is singled ended. If you buy (for example) a 3.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter, you risk damaging the amp. I hope I have understood you correctly.

FWIW there is no such thing as ā€˜degradedā€™ single ended as output vs balanced. They are just different topologies, but it just so happens that balanced puts out more power. More power generally means louder, which some folk mistake for ā€˜betterā€™.

The Neumanns will run quite happily single-ended so long as the amp has enough power, and I donā€™t know your ifi device, but I would image it has plenty enough juice single ended for you to be able to make an informed decision on them. The NHD30 are not particularly hard to drive.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #3,295 of 5,008
I don't want to get balanced signal from the stock cable....I want to use the 4.4 output of the zen can with a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.

For example ifi has one...their advertisement said that someone can use that if they want to connect 3.5 cables to 4.4 dac/amps.......

I am not familiar with any technicalities that is why I am asking that. Sadly the SE output of the zen can is significantly worse than the 4.4 one.....
No such thing as it connects via 2.5mm BAL and terminated to 3.5mm SE and can not be re-terminated to any BAL via adapter. Your option is to get their BAL cable or have one custom made from companies like HART.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #3,298 of 5,008
You canā€™t, or should I say shouldnā€™t, try to connect a balanced output to a single ended pair of headphones. You can go the other way and connect a single ended output to balanced headphones.

The NDH30 are internally balanced, but the cable is singled ended. If you buy (for example) a 3.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter, you risk damaging the amp. I hope I have understood you correctly.

FWIW there is no such thing as ā€˜degradedā€™ single ended as output vs balanced. They are just different topologies, but it just so happens that balanced puts out more power.

The Neumanns will run quite happily single-ended so long as the amp has enough power, and I donā€™t know your ifi device, but I would image it has plenty enough juice single ended for you to be able to make an informed decision on them. The NHD30 are not particularly hard to drive.
No such thing as it connects via 2.5mm BAL and terminated to 3.5mm SE and can not be re-terminated to any BAL via adapter. Your option is to get their BAL cable or have one custom made from companies like HART.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

This is the adapter I am talking about...

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3,300 of 5,008
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back