Neumann NDH 30
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #3,346 of 5,008
I would like to shorten my cable. The 3m is too long for me and the 1.2m is too short. Approximately 1.5m is my all-round length.
May I ask how well the original one can be soldered? I have experienced some that were very difficult to solder because of the protective varnish on the threads. Don't want to cut up the original and then upset myself.

I found it pretty easy.

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #3,347 of 5,008
Call me crazy but lately I've been enjoying the 30 most on my "lowly" Vali 2+. The Vali provides a modest lift in the lower mids which adds some nice weight to the notes. I think i'll be exploring the Vali more with all my phones. It might be low cost, but the sonics are solid on this little guy.
I too am continually surprised with this little amp. I spent more $$ on a tube upgrade than the Amp itself. With the right tube it's a little amp no more!

Leo

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #3,348 of 5,008
I found it pretty easy.
Ι have described in older posts how I did it with a bit of modification on a HD-560S cable. The wires were a little difficult to solder even after removing the colored insulating enamel but I managed to do it. Definitely a "roomy" plug is needed.
So my question is: Is the stock Neumann cable made (insulated internaly) the same way? Do the strands need special treatment to become solderable?

Sep 10, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #3,349 of 5,008
I must be in a minority of exactly one in preferring the look of the original 30 with its contrast of black grill and beautifully finished textured and polished silver which also highlights the black ring with the white and orange Neumann logo (we are just talking aesthetics here with regard to the new black version 😉), but, now would be the time to pick up a second pair of the originals. Or it would be if I didn’t already have two……. 😂

But the black 30 screams blacked-out Mercedes G wagon tho. Anyway, black is not a limited run right? Blew my black 30 budget on a work lounge area amp/headphone setup and I'm saving for an upcoming month long vacation 😅

Sep 10, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #3,352 of 5,008
Isn't this equal to short-circuiting the L- with the R- ?
Remember the headphones are a passive device so the "-" on the phones is just the ground to complete the electrical signal path for the direction of the current coming from the amp, reversing the wire from one driver just puts it out of phase.
But anyway, who needs balanced? :darthsmile: Selecting a fine SE amplifier will always offer better sound quality than a balanced amp of the same manufacturing cost.
:thumbsup:
I believe the problem is that many confuse balanced headphone cables to wiring between balanced components, source, amp, etc, which are active devices and subject to grounding and or electrical noise problems,. With balanced cables between components the plus and minus are symmetrical to one another plus there is a ground, this configuration helps cancel any noise and interference picked on long cable runs. Headphone cables which have separate grounds for each driver going to a balanced amp is there just to eliminate any possible cross talk, bleed between channels.
In truth, headphone cables with separate grounds should never have been called balanced, that was a bad idea. lol

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,354 of 5,008
Remember the headphones are a passive device so the "-" on the phones is just the ground to complete the electrical signal path for the direction of the current coming from the amp, reversing the wire from one driver just puts it out of phase.

:thumbsup:
I believe the problem is that many confuse balanced headphone cables to wiring between balanced components, source, amp, etc, which are active devices and subject to grounding and or electrical noise problems,. With balanced cables between components the plus and minus are symmetrical to one another plus there is a ground, this configuration helps cancel any noise and interference picked on long cable runs. Headphone cables which have separate grounds for each driver going to a balanced amp is there just to eliminate any possible cross talk, bleed between channels.
In truth, headphone cables with separate grounds should never have been called balanced, that was a bad idea. lol
Interesting, and, as far as I understand balanced topologies in the way they work between my CD player, pre-amp and active speakers, agreed!
But that raises the question as to whether there is actually a potential difference between having a headphone with internally balanced design and cable (as the Neumann’s have) using a single ended plug as opposed to a balanced plug to the amp? In other words, if the headphone has internal balanced design and a balanced cable, is that alone sufficient to eliminate channel cross-talk (which is the advantage of balance design in headphones), or is it necessary to have a balanced connection to the balanced output of an amp to achieve this? One might presume so, but why then would Neumann bother to make the NDH 30 balanced internally and provide a balanced cable, but then terminate it only with a single ended plug if there was no sonic advantage?

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #3,355 of 5,008
Isn't this equal to short-circuiting the L- with the R- ?
Each one of L- are R- are "mirror" opposites (negative) of the L+ and R+ thus the two (-) can have very different voltages (more correct: different potential) with eachother at any moment (answering my previous question). They can't be used as one. Or I am totally missing the balanced signal logic?
The most appropriate solution is to use a ready made balanced cable or re-terminate Newmann's stock cable with a Pentaccon (or XLR) plug.

But anyway, who needs balanced? :darthsmile: Selecting a fine SE amplifier will always offer better sound quality than a balanced amp of the same manufacturing cost. If one doesn't need balanced for a specific reason (e.g. driving the system with a balanced source), SE is the way to go.
Sorry if I was not clear - I thought I was talking about going from balanced to single ended adapter solution. Didn‘t I respond to the poster saying plugging single ended headphone into balanced output using an adapter will short out his amp?

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #3,356 of 5,008
Interesting, and, as far as I understand balanced topologies in the way they work between my CD player, pre-amp and active speakers, agreed!
But that raises the question as to whether there is actually a potential difference between having a headphone with internally balanced design and cable (as the Neumann’s have) using a single ended plug as opposed to a balanced plug to the amp? In other words, if the headphone has internal balanced design and a balanced cable, is that alone sufficient to eliminate channel cross-talk (which is the advantage of balance design in headphones), or is it necessary to have a balanced connection to the balanced output of an amp to achieve this? One might presume so, but why then would Neumann bother to make the NDH 30 balanced internally and provide a balanced cable, but then terminate it only with a single ended plug if there was no sonic advantage?

balanced, single...​

Headphones Are Not Stereo :)

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,357 of 5,008
One might presume so, but why then would Neumann bother to make the NDH 30 balanced internally and provide a balanced cable, but then terminate it only with a single ended plug if there was no sonic advantage?
To reduce ground channel crosstalk - this is easily measurable.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #3,358 of 5,008
To reduce ground channel crosstalk - this is easily measurable.
So even if the cable is not terminated on the amp end with a balanced plug and is used SE, the configuration adopted be Neumann reduces channel crosstalk. What, then, are the potential advantages of going fully balanced? Obviously it enables you to use it with an amp with a balanced output (which will sound better out of its balanced output than its SE as it’s designed to run balanced), but what are the theoretical advantages?

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,359 of 5,008
but why then would Neumann bother to make the NDH 30 balanced internally and provide a balanced cable, but then terminate it only with a single ended plug if there was no sonic advantage?
Almost all headphones are wired that way, the ground can either continue its separate way the length of the cable like the Neumann or the double entry Senn HD600s series for example and get joined together at the stereo jack or kept separate going into a balanced amp. As I mentioned previously the term balanced should never have been used for headphone cables in the first place.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #3,360 of 5,008
Almost all headphones are wired that way, the ground can either continue its separate way the length of the cable
As an example, here's a mod done by many head-fiers...and that is to just slice the cable and re-terminate it for use with a balanced amp.
Here's one I did with a pair of AKG K701s, and I cut off a foot or more so that I could then make an adapter to convert it back to single ended. (sadly the more recent K700 series are not wired the same, the grounds are combined prior to leaving the headphone), : (
AKG-K701s.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back