Neumann NDH 30
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #2,372 of 5,008
Warning - off topic post. I hope that nobody minds me asking this here, but I know there are people reading this thread regularly that have much greater knowledge of these things than I do. I also have some idea of those peoples tastes as they are on this thread! Would anybody have some recommendations for a simple DAC for a computer set-up? Looking to spend a couple of hundred Euros, preferably no more. Would be going into a Lehmann BCL amp. Something from Topping? Would also consider a genuinely worthy DAC/amp in the same price range. It’s not my main system, it’s just for a decent way to listen to audio from the computer in the house, so I’m just looking for something good and clean sounding, not the last word in audiophilia . Thanks in advance.

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #2,374 of 5,008
Would anybody have some recommendations for a simple DAC for a computer set-up? Looking to spend a couple of hundred Euros, preferably no more.
Hi Mike...similar to Topping, SMSL make good stuff...their little DO100 might be the ticket.......
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-do100-review-stereo-dac.34198/
"Conclusions
This is a flawless performance from SMSL. Every test is aced, leaving no room for any complaint whatsoever. When you consider that this state of the art performance is offered at relatively low cost, it is quite an achievement. There is no excuse left to not opt for full transparency folks.

It is my pleasure to recommend the SMSL DO100."

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #2,376 of 5,008
Hi Mike...similar to Topping, SMSL make good stuff...their little DO100 might be the ticket.......
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-do100-review-stereo-dac.34198/
"Conclusions
This is a flawless performance from SMSL. Every test is aced, leaving no room for any complaint whatsoever. When you consider that this state of the art performance is offered at relatively low cost, it is quite an achievement. There is no excuse left to not opt for full transparency folks.

It is my pleasure to recommend the SMSL DO100."
Thanks, Rob. That looks interesting. Not sure I want/need the bluetooth, but otherwise looks promising!

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #2,378 of 5,008
Warning - off topic post. I hope that nobody minds me asking this here, but I know there are people reading this thread regularly that have much greater knowledge of these things than I do. I also have some idea of those peoples tastes as they are on this thread! Would anybody have some recommendations for a simple DAC for a computer set-up? Looking to spend a couple of hundred Euros, preferably no more. Would be going into a Lehmann BCL amp. Something from Topping? Would also consider a genuinely worthy DAC/amp in the same price range. It’s not my main system, it’s just for a decent way to listen to audio from the computer in the house, so I’m just looking for something good and clean sounding, not the last word in audiophilia . Thanks in advance.
I love multibit dacs, but they tend to be pricey. I love the Bifrost 2/24, if you can find one used in your price range. I haven't heard it, but the Modi Multibit 2 might be worth a look. Soekris has some killer dacs. If you want something cheaper or more basic can't go wrong with a basic Modi, it's small and sounds good. I don't have a lot of dac experience, I tend to focus on amps more. But my favorite dac besides the Bifrost 2/24 is my Holo Audio Cyan. It's discontinued now but maybe there's a used unit floating about? It also has a very decent amp built in. Nothing special, and not the most powerful, but it gets the job done on reasonably efficient headphones. I love Chord stuff, the Mojo 2 looks promising.

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #2,379 of 5,008
How about this Mike, it's only 25x your budget!
1685634885684.png

Alternatively, I would make a fine print of it and frame to hang it on the wall!
Ok, silly humour but I was impressed by the design and performance of its little brother (amp only) at the recent Athens Headphone Show. I listened to it with the HD-800S:
1685636517881.png

Seriously now, I would look for a new or used Musical Fidelity V-90 dac. It is a bit dated (accepts signal "only" up to 96 kHz) but it is very versatile and had very good reviews. It is/was available in black or silver.
1685637915747.png

1685637153970.png

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,380 of 5,008
Topping and SMSL have very good offerings with SOTA specs, second hand ADI-2 DAC is also a possibility. JDS Labs Atom+ is also superb for the price!

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,381 of 5,008
Topping and SMSL have very good offerings with SOTA specs, second hand ADI-2 DAC is also a possibility. JDS Labs Atom+ is also superb for the price!
Personally, I tried them both and sold them both (obviously not all of them! :) . I discovered that my feet tap with a warmer sounding Dac/Amp. All good !

Leo

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #2,382 of 5,008
Would anybody have some recommendations for a simple DAC for a computer set-up?
Looking to spend a couple of hundred Euros, preferably no more

Personally, I tried them both and sold them both (obviously not all of them! :) . I discovered that my feet tap with a warmer sounding Dac/Amp. All good !

Leo
So true..not everything that measures great... sounds great musical, such is being human. : )
Given Mlke's priorities though the SMSL and Topping probably fit the budget for their intended use.

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #2,383 of 5,008
So true..not everything that measures great... sounds great musical, such is being human. : )
Given Mlke's priorities though the SMSL and Topping probably fit the budget for their intended use.
Yes, I'm very aware of that, and it's partly why I asked for recommendations. But you're right, for my budget and intended use the SMSL or Topping would undoubtedly be perfectly good. The other alternative I have would be to bring the HDVD800 into the house for the computer set-up and push the boat out and go for something like a Topping D90SE and use that with the Lehmann for the computer set-up in the studio. The HDVD800 is obviously a DAC/amp, but I suspect that the budget SMSL and Topping DACs measure far better than the DAC in the HDVD800, but whether they sound better might be a different matter.....?

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,384 of 5,008
The HDVD800 is obviously a DAC/amp, but I suspect that the budget SMSL and Topping DACs measure far better than the DAC in the HDVD800, but whether they sound better might be a different matter.....?
Well we are a fickle bunch..so if we think it sounds better, it will, maybe, possibly, and vice versa.....who can really definitively say, maybe the $200 unit performs as well as the $2000 one or even the $20,000 unit...which one is the most rewarding.....life is complicated. lol

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,385 of 5,008
Well we are a fickle bunch..so if we think it sounds better, it will, maybe, possibly, and vice versa.....who can really definitively say, maybe the $200 unit performs as well as the $2000 one or even the $20,000 unit...which one is the most rewarding.....life is complicated. lol
Yeah... you're a great help......! :wink: :o2smile::beerchug:

I just listened to the headphone output from my MOTU 828MKII digital audio interface (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/motu-828-mkii) in the studio and compared it to the HDVD800 (same files from the computer). I have to say that it sounded remarkably good. Not quite as refined, perhaps, but no less enjoyable TBH. I'm quite tempted to just bring the Sennheiser into the house and be done.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back