Needing guidance with Sennheiser
Sep 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

meshark

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am currently looking to upgrade my headphones. I will be using them on my pc about 90% of the time. I currently own a pair of Shure SRH440's, I know they aren't crazy nice, but they've worked for a while. One of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade is comfort. I just don't like the way the fit, and the padding is pretty lack luster.

I work a big box retailer, so I have the ability to order Sennheiser's at a discounted rate. That being said, I've mostly been looking at their different models. I mostly game on my pc, and listen to music. I don't have to have a mic built into the headset, but have been reading up on the PC350 and PC360.

Some of the other models I've been looking at are the following:

HD518
HD558
HD598

The 598's and 360's may be more than what I want to spend right now. That being said, if its really worth the extra to upgrade 
I can always hold off. Just looking for some general advice.

Thank you for any tips,

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Have you also considered anything from Beyerdynamic rather than the Sennheiser ones listed? something perhaps like the Beyer DT770 as a lot of people use those with a PC, they have velour pads & are quite comfortable, or perhaps the Denon D2000 or the model below that if those are out of budget, all easily driven from a soundcard.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Also take a look at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones, those are a gamers choice from what I hear, I had the chance to try them recently & while they are no match for better headphones they are good for the price & comfort is top notch.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 12
you might also try the 840 pads on your 440s.  I have both sets of pads and the 840 is a significant upgrade in terms of comfort.  You should also note that a Senn is going to sound very different compared to the Shures, which might be why Cliff-Samuels recommended a set of Beyers.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
you might also try the 840 pads on your 440s.  I have both sets of pads and the 840 is a significant upgrade in terms of comfort.  You should also note that a Senn is going to sound very different compared to the Shures, which might be why Cliff-Samuels recommended a set of Beyers.

Yes & not to forget the good ole Beyer velour
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Have you also considered anything from Beyerdynamic rather than the Sennheiser ones listed? something perhaps like the Beyer DT770 as a lot of people use those with a PC, they have velour pads & are quite comfortable, or perhaps the Denon D2000 or the model below that if those are out of budget, all easily driven from a soundcard.

2 kings of comfort. Beyer and Denon.

I'd go with the 598. I prefer them to any other Sennheiser I've heard.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 12
   I'm open to any brand. The biggest reason why I've listed Senn cans is because I can get a fairly steep discount. That being said, the discount is steep compared to full retail. For example retail on the 598's is 350, but it seems like most places online are around 250, while I can pick them up for under 200.

I guess my budget would be around 150-200. Which would include all of the Senn headphones listed above.

For me the padding on the ear parts of the 440's isn't what I dislike. I find the top band to be very uncomfortable. I am also within my return policy, so I'm planning on taking them back. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I personally wouldnt pay much for the 598's but thats because I am not that fond of them, but if you can get them cheap enough they certainly would have no problems with comfort, I wear glasses & they were fine when I tried them, for gaming they would be more than enough.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 12
    I can pick up the 598's or PC360s for around the same price. The 558's and PC350s are about 50 bones less than them, and the 518's are under 100. So I would be comparing the 518's to the ATH-AD700's (I didn't want to list exact prices since it is a vendor accommodation, and didn't know what the guidelines for posting those prices are).  I do not currently have a pci-e soundcard. I did pick up a soundblaster x-fi go! pro. I am using it mostly to move the ports from the back to the front of my tower. I have front 3.5mm jacks, but was getting some distortion while using them. While using the USB - 3.5mm sound blaster the distortion is gone.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Thats the trouble with discounts based on "retail" pricing, the suggested retail price is usually far higher than any street price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back