Need Your Advice! Beyerdynamic vs. Audio-Technica vs. Bowers & Wilkins
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nextimaginaut

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm a very, very nascent audiophile who has been searching long and far for a nice pair of headphones upto $300 suitable for both day-to-day mp3 bus commuting and computer use as well as prospective home vinyl listening and couldn't think of any better place to come for a final second opinion than here. After much in-store testing (I've visited literally every headphone retailer in Seattle) and having pored over countless online reviews, I've finally narrowed it down to the Audio-Technica ATM-50s, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed, Beyerdynamic T50p, and Bowers & Wilkins P5 Over-The-Ears models. If you had to pick one, which would you choose and why?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Heya,

Either the DT770 Pro or the B&W P5. Better comfort & sound. Even then, I'd go for the Beyers. I like their cups, good isolation, great bass, great head band and they look good. The M50 is flat (this is a good or bad thing depending on what you like), I didn't find it comfortable (nasty pleather pads). The T50p is a nice headset, but I just don't like how they look and how small they are. I like big Beyers.

Have you looked at the Ultrasone HFI 580's? Shure 840's? Beyer DT660's?

I'd likely go more towards the Beyer DT770 32ohm or the Ultrasone HFI 580. Comfort. Style. Bass.

Very best,

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you both for the replies!

@MalVeauX The M50 is actually one of the most accurate (and least expensive) of the four, both in what I've read and heard in testing them myself. But, as you've noted, they're also the least comfortable, which is something And I hadn't looked at the Shures or Ultratrones, but I'll definitely check them out as soon as I can. For the Beyer DT 770s, I should probably be looking into the DT 770 Premium 32 OHMs (which are somewhat hard to come by in stores now), but could've sworn that I had read in more than one place that the Pro-80s would be fine for MP3s. Is that really the case? And re: the 660s -- I think I ruled them out either due to so-so reviews and/or disliking them comfort and sound-wise while trying them on in-store along with the 880s. What are your thoughts? And what would be the appeal of the 660s?

@FearSC549 The Pro-80s I think can go either way (though please correct me if I'm wrong here), but the 32 OHMs should be fine without (though certainly would have a much better bass with) an amp. Any idea how long the cables are?

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 11
Heya,

DT770 80's pretty much need an amp. The 32ohm DT770's don't need an amp (though may benefit slightly from one). If you're into getting a portable amp, get the DT770 80 and don't look back. It's a beasty headphone but not neutral at all, it's a basshead can with bright forward highs and recessed mids. The DT660 is actually more neutral, so it's not bass heavy, it's more of a flat response, similar to the DT880, but the DT660 is portable in that the cups swivel and it's easy to drive. It's otherwise, the same build as the other Beyers, so comfortable. The DT770 Pro cable is like 6 feet long or something. I just coiled it up with twist ties and put it in my pocket, no big deal.

But I'll just stress again, check out Ultrasone HFI 580's.

And if you want a neutral headphone that is a detail monster, super comfortable, and has swivel cups and portability, look at the new Shure SRH 940.

Very best,

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 11
I say look at the Ultrasone Hfi 580/680 as well. BHphoto has them ultracheap now. They are on the BIG side of portable headphones tho.

But my vote is to the p5. The clamping force absolutely hurts my ears so bad after 45mins of wear. 3 months later they're fully broken in and more comfortable. Sounds better than ever and still look absolutely gorgeous. Great item to use as portables.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 11
@MalVeauX Just read your review of the SRH-490s (which was extremely thorough, by the way) -- they're beautiful cans and easily the most transportable of the bulkier pairs I've looked at, but I'm still unsure that they're what I'm looking for sound-wise, which I really should've been clearer about.

Of all the pairs we've noted together, can you think of one that would be well suited (but not limited) to providing immersive listens to long psych/acid rock/drone pieces (case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfYdAtz5fE) but still provide a good balanced range for classical, hip-hop, rock, r&b/soul, and electronica with a nice but not overwhelming bass emphasis (e.g. this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cxkLZoEFEk as well as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStjmYxetY0). Thank you so much for all the suggestions so far!

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Heya,

Just listened to those linked tracks on my Beyers, Ultrasones and Shures. I think the Beyers & Ultrasones are the way to go for you if you say you want more elctronic, hip hop, etc, along with the acid rock and drone stuff. You need bass and mids. Suggest BeyerDyanmic DT770 or Ultrasone HFI 580. Ultimately, I say go 580, it comes with a carrying case, swivels, etc, so is good for portability and will give you what you need for these genres.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 11
And then just replace the earpads with some velour ones. You're right -- that really probably would be the best (and certainly the most cost effective) way to go. Again, thank you so much. I'll let you know what my final decision ends up being.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 11
M,

Last question -- how tight are the Ultrasones' grip? I haven't been able to find them anywhere in person, and the only grievance I have against swivels are that the frame/cup grip tend not to be so hot (which is one of the major reasons why I've found myself gravitating so much toward the DT 770s).

Thanks!

SW 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
M,

Last question -- how tight are the Ultrasones' grip? I haven't been able to find them anywhere in person, and the only grievance I have against swivels are that the frame/cup grip tend not to be so hot (which is one of the major reasons why I've found myself gravitating so much toward the DT 770s).

Thanks!

SW 

Heya,

I find the grip to be excellent, but that's me. It's not too tight (death grip) and it's not loose (flimsy). The DT770 Pro 80 has a pretty strong grip, stronger than the Ultrasones. I wear my Ultrasones for hours. I find them to be comfortable with velour pads. Then again, I don't really wear any headphones without velour pads. I think both are comfortable. Pro versions of Beyers are tighter. The Premium versions don't seem to grip nearly as much, but they still have a good firm grip, just not a death grip. I think you'll be fine either way comfort wise. Go with whichever seems best to you, they're quite similar, and both will sound awesome for your needs.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back