Need suggestion for closed, high impedance phones
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
I love my Senn HD-650, but everyone keeps bitching that they are too loud since they are open.
I'd get something closed like a Dennon AH-D5000, but I'm using a Bottlehead Crack amp, and it's designed for high impedance phones, over 120 ohms.
So, any thoughts about a different headphone I could use when I need to be quiet?

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Quote:
Denon D7000?

Yikes those are spensive! (and only 25 ohm)

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of their ohm rating.

They're comparable in price to the HD650's on amazon, and I thought it'd be worth a mention since I've actually read people comparing the two, and preferring the Denons. Though I haven't tried them myself.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Build a step-down transformer and put it between your crack and your headphones.

Alternately sell your crack and buy sex.

Its hard to say whether sex is really better than crack, because crack does have some solid points over sex, but lets just agree that they are different. 

I have had sex with most of my headphones, and I think most people who know me well could guess that I like it. Crack was best with the high impedance headphones.

Plan C is to go it on your own and build something like the L'espressivo. 

None of that really answers your search for a high impedance closed headphone. 
DT770 250 or 600ohms.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Alternately sell your crack and buy sex.

Its hard to say whether sex is really better than crack, because crack does have some solid points over sex, but lets just agree that they are different. 

I have had sex with most of my headphones, and I think most people who know me well could guess that I like it.

LOL!

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

I have had sex with most of my headphones, and I think most people who know me well could guess that I like it.

Yeah, I remember those pictures
tongue.gif

I've built a couple of SEX amps in the past, and recently had a friend's SEX amp here to compare to the Crack, and the Crack is a little better with the Sennheisers.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 15
NoXter's DT880 closed back mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424842/beyerdynamic-dt880-closed-back

Quote:
[size=large]What changes?[/size]

First: The closed-back DT880 isolates very well! 
biggrin.gif
 For me, who couldn't find a isolating headphone that fits for my taste, it makes an excellent job.

The Bass is stronger than stock, but you get real sub-bass an the bass is in general more precise. The mids get warmer an get more consistence. Vocals sound fuller. Treble is significant lowered. HD650 niveau I would say, but whithout the veil in sound.
The airiness and soundstage of the DT880 lacks a bit with the mod, but compared to HD650 for example nothing you should worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back