Need some advice re truly portable Over Ear Headphones
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

infernojim

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I've recently purchased a set of GMP 8.3500 headphones, on the premise that they can be easily driven by a DAP, which they certainly can, sound great, isolate great and are suitable for on the move without amplification.

It would be fair to say that all of the above statements are true with the exception of "suitable for on the move"...

I suppose they technically are suitable, but realistically they are a bit too bulky, the cable is really thick and noticeable and they look quite ugly.

I knew this up front, but I guess what I have learnt is that I really want something that sounds great, and is a Headphone, but is also not too bulky, and is fairly stylish.

Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to judge these things without having seen them, which is where I'm hoping that you can help.

I have tested a set of Sennheiser HD25 1-ii's and to my mind they are just about right in terms of size / style versus excellent sound quality. However, they are a bit out of my reach budget wise.

So, please can you recommend me others, that are:

1) Portable - and similar in size to the HD25 1-ii's - e.g. not too in your face, but stylish without being to bulky.

2) Driveable minus amping - the HD25 has 70ohms impedence and my MP3 can handle that, but don't think it would do well with much higher, so ideally 40 ohms or less would be good.

3) Closed / Good Isolation - will be used walking around / daily commute etc.

4) Sound Signature wise - I'm keen on a fairly detailed sound, but do like a bit of impact, so a decent bass response is key. I guess a very mild V shape would be what I'm after. For instance I have some RE0 IEMs and find these a little too analytical for my taste... they're great, but need a bit more bass for me.

5) Budget less than $100

I have looked at ATH-ES55 / ES7's and these seem like a decent option.

What would you recommend?

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 3
akg midrange?  k518 or k81

just tried them for like 2 minutes in the store,but they seem to fit what your after.

1 check
2 check
3 check
4 ? I'm not the one to ask,but to me they were nice whit a tad extra bass,a nice cheaper alternative to HD-25
5 were I live at least,betwen 50-100$ depending on model.

I recomend saving up for HD-25's :wink: they are worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back