Need serious input from true audiophiles...
Aug 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zigalayho

New Head-Fier
        Okay - like many others, I finally decided to dip my toe in the proverbial sea of audiophilia. What I found was a hodge-podge of differing opinions and ideas. So anyway, I had decided that I was going to pan it down to a few ideas and find a place to try them out, right?
Wrong.
       Apparently I live in bo-dunk-hick-ville and there is not one place around me that puts anything better than Skullcandy or Dre Beats out for listening perusal. That put me at the local Guitar Center (you'd think they would have them out, wouldn't you? NO), and with my budget and their advice and availability, I walked out with a pair of Shure SRH240's.
       My first impression was that I had made a mistake. First listen here, they do not sound like the earth-shaking, life-changing, music epicness that I keep hearing about. Am I missing something here? The bass is VERY mild and although they are clear, I really don't think they sound much better than my in ear Bose. Also, I'm finding I'm not too fond of the hot ear.
:frowning2:  
        So here is my question: do I keep these and wait for them to burn in? Or do I take them back and take a chance by ordering online? I was actually going to go with the Grado 60i's, but of course, they didn't have any. Rrrrrrrrr!! I looked at the Audio Technica ATH-m50's, the Grado's and a few others, but I'm confuzzled! I want something with a kick and clear everything, that I can listen to on my computer and iPhone (for now), that will make me have that AAAAaaaaaahhhhh moment and not cause my ears to spontaneously combust.
      Help, help and HELP!!!! 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

Take them back. They're not going to change. You don't like them. Done.

What music do you primarily listen to? Do you need powerful emphasized bass? Do you want a flat response, or neutral headphone?

AudioTechnica M50 is flat/neutral, the Ultrasone HFI 580 is bassy and bright, the Shure 840 is flat/neutral, Grado SR60/80 are bright, mid heavy, forward highs, bass lite.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 9
burn-in won't change sound that drastically, so if you don't like them, send'em back.

Burn-in, IME, will increase detail, and overall how well the headphone can deliver the sound signature, but won't change the signature itself.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, I listen to a lot of different types of music. I like pop, rock, heavy, soundtracks, classical, enigma, jazz, you get the picture. I just want to be able to hear my songs the way they are supposed to be heard. I also find myself turning the volume waaaay up. Are these supposed to be amped?? 

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Well, I listen to a lot of different types of music. I like pop, rock, heavy, soundtracks, classical, enigma, jazz, you get the picture. I just want to be able to hear my songs the way they are supposed to be heard. I also find myself turning the volume waaaay up. Are these supposed to be amped?? 

No,

They're low impedance and very sensitive. They should play at high volume from most devices. What are you playing them from?

Sounds like you want a neutral headphone. Check out the Shure 840 or Audiotechnica M50.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

This is likely because they aren't delivering the sound you expected from them.  Return them and try something different.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 9
What is your price range? was thinking we might be able to help you better with that info.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 9
The AT M50 and Shure 840 have better bass impact than you're experiencing. I prefer the 840 over the M50 because even though it doesn't quite have the bass impact of the M50 the 840's bass is much better defined compared to the M50's bloominess. There are other's that prefer the M50 and that will be up to you to decide. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back