Need recommendations for PC gaming headphones.
Jul 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

negrosis

New Head-Fier
TL;DR I need headphones that block outside noise, look good in public, doesn't have a mic attached, costs less than $100, doesn't leak sound, good for bass-heavy music, movies, tv-shows and most importantly pinpointing enemy footsteps/gunshots in FPS gaming. Also will I need a mix-amp, sound card or any additional audio equipment that enhances sound quality?

Sorry I'm a noob. I've read some of the guides and still haven't found what i'm looking for, any help is appreciated!

I've built a new gaming PC and the only thing missing now is the audio system.

The headphones will be primarily for FPS gaming (also for other games occasionally). One thing that would be great is directional awareness (hearing from which direction sounds come from, to pinpoint enemies). I would prefer the headphone to not have a mic, since most recommendations I've seen for gaming headphones just say to get a clip-on mic (which is better since I need it for music while on the bus anyways).

I need the headphones to play bass-heavy music (techno), while on the bus/public transportation (with the ability to block out the loud bus engine sound and have low sound leakage as well).

Also, it would be nice if it didn't look too stupid so that I could actually wear it in public without getting weird looks.

I will also be using the headset for watching movies and tv-shows.

I was also wondering whether I would need some kind of mix-amp, portable mix-amp, sound card or any other type of audio equipment for my PC/headphones in order to create the best quality sound possible.

My budget is less than $100. I've looked at the headphone reccomendations guide and the only thing I could find that fits my preferences was the Sony MDR-V6.

(Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6)

Any reccomendation/tips on buying headphones will be appreciated!

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 5
I went through amazon to look at the best rated headsets a while back to look for a gaming headset with a mic. I came across the G930 but it may be a little expensive for you, plus that's not really what you want. I would recommend the Siberia Steel Series V2. I was about to get it but I spent a little more to get the G930 because of the mic and the surround sound. 

There's a forum that talks about Audiophile vs Gaming Headsets if you want to read up on it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/542320/audiophile-vs-gaming-headphones

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the help
do you know of any resources that can help me decide what to buy
i know i now need a headset with a mixamp and sound card, but is there some kind of buying guide for all of those.
i dont want to blindly overpay for useless things

thanks

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Sony MDR-V6
Asus Xonar DG sound card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back