The day finally came when my old speedlink medusa home edition headset died, and I think it is time to treat myself to a decent replacement. I remember at the time they were described as being impressive for the price range (£50), but I assume things have moved on since then!
Coming from a gaming background, not an audiophile background, I started exploring all the options that are available - starting with the 'gaming' headsets and moving onto audiophile headphones. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, and I am amazed by the amount of knowledge contained here.
I have found audiophiles who are gamers, and who have reviewed audiophile headsets, gamers (not audiophiles) reviewing gaming headsets and audiophile headsets (e.g. ATH-A700 and AD700), but not audiophiles reviewing gaming headsets.
The reason that I ask is that I want to know if anyone has had any experience of the Logitech G930 headset, and how it compares to something like the ATH-A700. The G930 has been receiving rave reviews, but most audiophiles don't seem to have even considered trying them, so I have no relative perspective.
I am assuming that the G930 are not a patch on decent headphones, but I would like to hear anyone's actual experiences.
I play for fun (but it can get pretty competitive on, say, bfbc 2 online) on both PC and PS3 and I also watch a lot of blu-rays while using my headphones, as well as music.
The two setups that I am seriously considering (unless the G930 really are as good as some people say) are:
PS3 -> mixamp 5.8 -> DT770 / MMX300 / QPAD QH-1339
and swap to PC -> X-Fi Sonar -> DT770 / MMX300 / QH-1339 when on the PC.
PS3 -> mixamp 5.8 tx -> mixamp 5.8 rx ->
} Fiio E9 / preferably matrix m-stage amp as it has switchable inputs -> K701
PC -> X-Fi Sonar ->
Further points that I have questions on (although these are probably better asked in the dedicated forums):
- Does the DT770 pretty much = MMX300 = QH-1339 (as I have assumed)?
- Should I consider the PC-360s or PC-350s?
- Fiio E9 with an input switch added or matrix m-stage amp?
- I realise that my soundcard is not up to much, so I am thinking about the X-Fi Titanium HD as an upgrade. Is this able to take the game 5.1 / 7.1 audio and 'do' the dolby headphone magic on it? If not what sound cards can, or is the only way to do it through optical out to a mixamp?
- Would the MMX300s benefit from the Fiio E9 or the m-stage amp?
I am very open to comments and suggestions, as while I think I now have an idea about these things from reading the forums, to be honest I really do not anything!