need recommendation for office headphones
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

darckhart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I am looking for something comparable to grado sr60 in sound quality and price, but needs to be CLOSED as i dont want to disturb my neighbors. I've used sr60 for many, many years and am comfortable with their sound. I'm willing to put up with their shortcomings since it's only for use at work with mp3 player. (I listen primarily to classic rock, alt rock, and electronic.) Also, they should be comfortable because I wear glasses and plan to use for 2-3 hrs at a time. I looked at some beyerdynamics and audio technicas (yes exceeding the price range, but just like the style), but would like some better recommendations. Oh yea, no IEM.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 8
i saw the closed heaphones roundup article on this other headphone site. seems like sennheiser hd25-1 II are very good. also some shures, but they all check in around the 200$ mark which is not something i want to throw down for the office.

hm this thread seems to throw out a few more choices: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507900/closed-back-grado-equivalent

seems like 200ish is the target, so i mite have to shop around for deals.

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 8
there really is no closed back grado equivalent, unfortunately.

after all, the way grado achieves their sound is partly due to the very open design

that being said, there are some pretty good closed cans in the $100 to $150 range.
however, each has its own quirks...

research:
audio ath-m50, ath-a700
shure srh440, srh840
creative aurvana live!, denon d1001
etc.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 8
I've used SR125i's in my cube for the last year.  No one's complained. 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 8
My favorite closed headphone are Denon D5000 / D7000 (sound nearly identical).  And I've tried a few.  But personally I can't wear huge headphones at work because it makes it obvious that I've checked into planet Miles Davis..  SE530 are what I use at work.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I just got DT770 250Ohms. It has amazing sound, and it isolates from both inside and outside well. My coworker said he does hear a little sound out, but I actually played it loudly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back