Need portable headphone based on my weird tastes
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

trevinthefionaapplefan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fiers,

I first made a post like this a few months ago. I'm starting a new thread because I'm still looking for my dream headphone, but now I have more knowledge about what I want.

I'm looking for a closed back headphone that can be driven by my phone, and under $400.

I've tried lots of headphones this year and have been moderately-to-severely disappointed by all of them. Hopefully someone can make a strong suggestion for which headphone I will love based on how I've interpreted these headphones below. Here's my findings:

Oppo PM-3: clear, clean sound, but stressfully, frustratingly, painfully boring.

B&W P7: good sound, not great, and uncomfortable.

Sony MDR-1A: this headphone sucks. Bad isolation, flabby bass, mellow sound.

V-MODA M-100: genre-specific, not enjoyable like people describe it. Bass is not musical, just hard-hitting.

Meze 99 Classics: Too much bloated bass. Messy sound. Very comfy.

Sennheiser HD1 (Momentum 2.0): Decent mids and bass, but treble is far too recessed for me.

ATH-M50x: Punchy bass, but these have such a thick, muted sound unlike anything I've ever heard.

So, what do I like? Well, before trying all those I was using Beats Studio 2.0 (wired) as my main headphone everyday. I love the emotion, energy, punch, and enjoyment that they give. I'm just shocked because to me they sound way better than any of those headphones I listed above. They have big durability problems though, and I don't want another beats headphone. I know they're not as neutral or professional as those ones above, but I'm looking for an enjoyable, emotional reaction to music. My $20 Sony NC headphones sound just as good (to me) as the HD1, B&W P7 and MDR-1A and some others I listed.

I'm just really frustrated and disappointed with this whole situation. Maybe I'm just depressed.

If anyone knows a headphone with similar sound to the Studio 2.0s or a headphone that is really fun, emotive, and portable, please let me know. Thanks.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 13
I've tried lots of headphones this year and have been moderately-to-severely disappointed by all of them. Hopefully someone can make a strong suggestion for which headphone I will love based on how I've interpreted these headphones below. Here's my findings:

Oppo PM-3: clear, clean sound, but stressfully, frustratingly, painfully boring.

B&W P7: good sound, not great, and uncomfortable.

Sony MDR-1A: this headphone sucks. Bad isolation, flabby bass, mellow sound.

V-MODA M-100: genre-specific, not enjoyable like people describe it. Bass is not musical, just hard-hitting.

Meze 99 Classics: Too much bloated bass. Messy sound. Very comfy.

Sennheiser HD1 (Momentum 2.0): Decent mids and bass, but treble is far too recessed for me.

ATH-M50x: Punchy bass, but these have such a thick, muted sound unlike anything I've ever heard.

Maybe look into the Audio Technica MSR7 and B&O H6. Look for reviews comparing either to the P7.

Note also that headphone fit can alter the sound depending on the earpad compression, so that adds to all the other factors that makes a subjective review highly relative compared to the kinds of graphs that InnerFidelity would produce for example.

So, what do I like? Well, before trying all those I was using Beats Studio 2.0 (wired) as my main headphone everyday. I love the emotion, energy, punch, and enjoyment that they give. I'm just shocked because to me they sound way better than any of those headphones I listed above. They have big durability problems though, and I don't want another beats headphone. I know they're not as neutral or professional as those ones above, but I'm looking for an enjoyable, emotional reaction to music. My $20 Sony NC headphones sound just as good (to me) as the HD1, B&W P7 and MDR-1A and some others I listed.

I'm just really frustrated and disappointed with this whole situation. Maybe I'm just depressed.

If anyone knows a headphone with similar sound to the Studio 2.0s or a headphone that is really fun, emotive, and portable, please let me know. Thanks.

Those three are kinda hard to get together...closest would be the Westone UM30Pro if it sounds anything like the old UM3X. Problem is, while it's portable, it's not a headphone.

There's the Grado RS1e...but while it's a headphone, it's not exactly portable given the open back design.

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 13
I think the OP ruled out the H6 the previous time this was posted. Could be wrong though. Not sure what their is to not like about it. It's a fantastic can

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 13
I think the OP ruled out the H6 the previous time this was posted. Could be wrong though. Not sure what their is to not like about it. It's a fantastic can

Yeah I know I know, but people have told me the same thing to even higher degrees about the P7, 99 Classics, and M-100, and I don't care for any of those. Is there anything in particular about the H6 that makes you think I'd like it more than those headphones?

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah I know I know, but people have told me the same thing to even higher degrees about the P7, 99 Classics, and M-100, and I don't care for any of those. Is there anything in particular about the H6 that makes you think I'd like it more than those headphones?
Without trying to explain why you may like the H6, let me put it this way. I've either owned or tried every can you've posted in your original list, and for the most part, I agree with your assessments. With the Classics, the information you gathered was clearly regarding these headphones with the original pads.
As for both the H6 and the Denon - for the most part you're getting a clear, detailed, and relatively balanced sound. Both headphones are just a bit North of neutral in the bass department. That being said, they both offer plenty of energy and liveliness, making them fun in addition to the clean sound. The treble and mids are about perfect for my tastes, but there are plenty of reviews online to read for greater detail.
As for the reviews, I'd recommend staying here. Read the reviews, as well as the original introduction threads. Reviews from elsewhere can be all over the place. Obviously not everyone is going to be in complete harmony, but you can establish a pattern. These are the best closed back portables I've heard in the price range. The H6 also has a good Soundstage, considering it's a closed back. Both feel and sound premium. I'll leave you with that. Not much else I can add. I believe the Denon is still available on Amazon with that lovely return policy. The H6 is not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back