Need Phones with < Bass Than Porta-Pros
May 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

REDH0RN

100+ Head-Fier
I never thought I would say such a thing 
basshead.gif
 . My Porta-Pro cans still sound good to me and can be driven nicely directly from my BlackBerry. But, I now desire a pair with a more
natural presentation. Requirements are:

A) Not more than $80

B) Not more than 4ft cord and terminating in a mini plug

C) Fairly durable. I'm not rough on equipment but will be using on-the-go

D) Not lacking in natural bass

E) Efficient enough to be driven from BlackBerry

I had a pair of Senn PX-100's in past and have heard the gen II 100's and 200's 
have not lived up to the sound quality of earlier generation. My 100's were good
sounding, but weak in construction. They broke soon after handing down to my
teenaged son.

Please toss some ideas at me...

May 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 11
I used to own some  Senn PX-100's B4 the cable broke . 

I feel the the Yuin G2a (clip ons ) fitted with a headband for extra ear compression ) are more balanced & responsive then the PX-100'S . PX-100's being smooth and more graceful whilst G2a's being more edgy and dynamic.

The Yuin G2a's could even be used as cheap monitor headphones.They really do give a relatively accurate reproduction .Though sibilance can creep in ,using the headband  & or adding some extra bass with a decent EQ can smooth it out .They are very EQ friendly .

The bass is precise and has impact and has a quick decay, with no  color added on the lower frequencies trail as can happen with headphones that use a resonant chamber like the iGrado's
The Mids are slightly forward and responsive.
The Highs ,though not as crisp as I'd like, are certainly engaging .

I haven't heard the Porta-Pros's, though from what I've read they are probably colored to be a warmer sound than the G2a's . But as I said I haven't heard them, so that is only a theory, as the G2a's are most probably  more neutral than the average consumer sound  .

Quote:

The actual Headphones are durable with a decent rubber tangle free cable . 

May 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I never thought I would say such a thing 
basshead.gif
 . My Porta-Pro cans still sound good to me and can be driven nicely directly from my BlackBerry. But, I now desire a pair with a more
natural presentation. Requirements are:

A) Not more than $80

B) Not more than 4ft cord and terminating in a mini plug

D) Not lacking in natural bass

E) Efficient enough to be driven from BlackBerry

I had a pair of Senn PX-100's in past and have heard the gen II 100's and 200's 
have not lived up to the sound quality of earlier generation. My 100's were good
sounding, but weak in construction. They broke soon after handing down to my
teenaged son.

Please toss some ideas at me...

The PX100-II is generally said to be the same or worse as/than the original, but the opposite is said for the 200. The PX200-II is wayyyyy better than the first gen. I liked it a lot. Be sure to check out Joker's gazillion portable headphone review thread. It has like a gazillion portable headphone reviews. I def suggest the PX200-II as a really portable set of headphones, they have much better sound and build quality than the first gen. Their bass is very natural, and they have a surprisingly good soundstage. Just wish they had more treble, but some may prefer them as is.

May 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Sorry, did not specify. Open or closed would do. Closed may be a better option since lately I
have been listening a lot on campus. Generally thought the compact closed offerings paled in comparison to the performance of open phones.

May 26, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Sorry, did not specify. Open or closed would do. Closed may be a better option since lately I
have been listening a lot on campus. Generally thought the compact closed offerings paled in comparison to the performance of open phones.

Can't help you there as I haven't heard any  compact closed headphones .If I was in your circumstance I'd try and have a listen to the PX200-II and any others that fall into the same compact category . 

May 26, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 11
You might also look into the Meelectronics Ht21.  Solid mids and highs with very light bass.  The only downside is the are not for the active person.  They are very loose. 

I would also second the Senn 200ii's.  They are pretty solid sounding with bass leaning towards the light side. 

May 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
You might also look into the Meelectronics Ht21.  Solid mids and highs with very light bass.  The only downside is the are not for the active person.  They are very loose. 

I would also second the Senn 200ii's.  They are pretty solid sounding with bass leaning towards the light side. 

Would not like light bass. PortaPros are a over emphasized in lower region. Ideal would be bass that is accurate, but not prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back