need new headphones 70 dollar limit
Nov 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

icedog

New Head-Fier
hey guys christmas is coming up and being 15 and turning 16 in 2 months i asked my family for one thing: car money however my family is quite old fashioned and shot down my request saying that if i ask for car money its not working for a car and it dosent build character and blahbity blah so i am now getting things that i dont really need just for the heck of it. so head phones popped into my mind because my current pair are hanging by a thread. literally. (or i guess it would be a wire) the 70 dollar price limit is there only because again my family is old fashioned and would have a heart attack if i asked for headphones for more than that. i would like dre beats but cant afford them but would b open to any suggestions (over the ear or in ear preferably) 

ps. i am now on my 16th pair of headphones since june because i tend to sleep in them and am hard on things.
thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 20
Here ya go:

Sennheiser  HD428, HD448, HD515

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 20
Nov 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 20
Superlux HD668B for Paw Music, after burnin these have a very nice sound, they also are fairly well built and have a removeable cable that enters on one side. I am really taken by their sound, good bass, decent mids, and nice detailed highs after they are burned in properly.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
senndroid said:

I want to keep a Senn in the running, some I'm going to go ahead and throw out the HD448s--this is solid closed phone (so people around you won't hear your music), with stellar, rich mids and clear highs. The lows, though, might need a bit of a boost; I would recommend buying it with a portable amplifier (the FiiO E7 maybe) along with the phones, which would really balance the soundstage. The cans should run you about 100, as should the amplifier. Let me tell you, I've heard the QCs, as well as this combo (my friend has this setup), and the Senns+E7 beats the pants off of the QCs. Honestly, the Bose have no mids.

In sum: HD448 / E7 Amplifier
Pros:
Clear, natural sounding sound, especially in the mids
Light and Comfortable
Cheap (100 is a steal for these cans)

Cons:
Cans need amp for full potential.
Bass can get lost without amp.
Short chord

Don't think I'm missing anything...I have the 595s in the mail right now, sorry you had to rule those out. I can't wait to hear those bad boys.

Also, don't forget to burn your cans in!

These might be your best bet at $69.95 from Amazon: Sennheiser HD448 but the amplifier might be something you could ask for separately.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 20
Creative Aurvana Live I heard are good for the price.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 20
Best headphone without any doubt under $70 that I've heard is the modded Koss UR-55. It's only $50 and super easy to mod. I'm even willing to bet it'd be better then the Creative, but I need to compare them. It's really that good. It's easily driven and has that fun sound signature. It has a lot of bass without taking away from anything else. The mod makes them open though, but it increased the soundstage. So far I don't think there is anything better for even $90, not even the HD-555 or SRH-440. So far the only thing I've found for under $100 that has as good of sound is the modded Grado SR-80. I do find one other  headphone that's $80 a lot better but it requires an amp.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 20
hey gus thanks for all the replies i was wondering if anyone had heard about the

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black)[/size]

also how do these compare to dre beats? im kinda tired of mycousin  raving on and on about how amazing they are... its annoying haha thanks for the help

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 20
Beats are weak, luckily you researched. I know a lot of people that buy the beats and waste their money, there are a lot better headphones out there.

I hear the CALs rank better but might not have the same ammount of base, but if you don't mind open headphone(Everyone can hear what your listening to), Grado SR60i s are good and have bass.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 20
ok well i appriciate the help im almost settled on the shure 440's with the iluv connector but was wondering if there was a better remote/mic combo extender or preferably just a brand new cable with a mic and remote
 ps by remote i mean volume up and down and play and pause thanks!

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 20

If you want the equivalent of Monster Beats Pro (the ones that sell for $240 to $299), for half the price here's what you do:

1.) Buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for around $110 to $140.

2.) Hook them up to something with an EQ.

3.) On the EQ, push every slider that is 500 Hz and less to the +5 dB level.

There, you just got yourself the equivalent of the Monster Beats Pro, for half the price.

I listened to a set of those Beats at Best Buy on Sunday for about 15 minutes at their listening station.  I tried all types of music.  I got my set of ATH-M50s today and listened to them for about an hour.

The Beats have much more powerful bass; too powerful for me.  The M50s have just the right amount of nearly everything for me.  My ears are sensitive to bass, so any headphones with a massive amount of bass will begin to hurt after a while.

The only con I have with the M50s are slightly recessed mids, but with the music I will be listening to with these (techno/goa/trance/Eurodance), that's not much of an issue.

Oh BTW, the Shure SRH440 don't have as strong a bass as the ATH-M50, and definitely nowhere near as that of the Monster Beats.

So, if you are bass-head, you'd be better off with the ATH-M50.

However, if you plan on listening to mainly rock music, classical, jazz, or anything that has a lot of higher freqs, then the Shure SRH440 would be just as good as the ATH-M50 or Beats.

Quote:
hey gus thanks for all the replies i was wondering if anyone had heard about the

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones (Black)[/size]

also how do these compare to dre beats? im kinda tired of mycousin  raving on and on about how amazing they are... its annoying haha thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back