Need New Cans (Isolation and fast bass) Suggestions?
Feb 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I recently sold my HD 25-1s and I feel like a sinner for doing so. They are my favorite headphones ever, but the on ear design really bothers me.

I need my fix, and am currently without any decent headphones. I need suggestions. I need cans that can handle fast bass, for DnB. Which is one of the harder things I've had to look for.

Anyway, budget is about 300 USD, and I'd love any suggestions. Thanks guys.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Ultrasone Pro 750 - I use it and the bass is punchy, deep, and I love it lol. Also it isolates very well. You may be able to pick up one for <$300 on eBay, even less used.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Those 750s look stunning...and very, very enticing as they go.

I think I'll jump on some reviws and strongly consider those. They'd be paired with an E7 and probably an LOD iPod. Ay other suggestions out there?

Oh, and how is the size of the 750? They look compact enough, just wondering.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Those 750s look stunning...and very, very enticing as they go.

I think I'll jump on some reviws and strongly consider those. They'd be paired with an E7 and probably an LOD iPod. Ay other suggestions out there?

Oh, and how is the size of the 750? They look compact enough, just wondering.

They're not small.. looks to be ~10cm in diameter (each cup), but I've used them whilst on the go and they're a-ok. I think it's because they fit my head well, and support well on the top, so they're stable. I pair mine with my E7 and iPod/iPhone using a LOD and the results are fantastic.

I'll tell you straight up - some people complain about sibilance with the Ultrasones. I personally don't find this an issue. HOWEVER if you music is encoded in poorer quality (128kbps and less) then the Pro 750s will highlight the issues with the quality. 192kbps and above will sound excellent, it's just the Pro 750s are almost too accurate in the sound reproduction. Ultrasone seems to be a "some hate it, some love it" situation.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I wish I could try a pair of these before buying.

There's an eBay seller that's highly rated and selling new, but OPEN BOX 750s for 240 USD. Seems like a pretty good price point.

After reading reviews though, I am also considering the suggested TMA-1s. I'd never heard of AIAIAI or the TMAs. But I haven't been here in awhile, either.

This is a really tough decision because I plan on keeping these headphones for a long time without another purchase.

I REALLY like the aesthetics of the 750s more, but the TMAs seem like 'that headphone everyone endorsed'.

It's so hard to pick new cans without being able to hear them first.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 11
I can't give you an opinion on the TMA-1s as I've never used them, but they do seem to get good reviews. A solid competitor to them is the HD 25-1. These two headphones are more portable (than the Pro 750s), and I actually just picked up an HD 25-1 today for portable use. If I were only able to afford one I'd personally go Pro 750s.

IF you primarily want something for on the go, then I'd go smaller (TMA / HD25), but if it's 60%+ home/library/etc use then I'd opt for the Pro 750s (or a competitor to them).

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't mind a little larger for portability. The 750s seem like a decent size, and fine for portability. I think I'll give them a shot.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Bought open box for 240 USD. I'm so excited that I almost payed for better shipping!

Been WAY too long since I've had a decent pair of cans on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back