Need new cans.. closed, comfortable, keeps outside noise out, and lightweight?
Oct 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shyatic

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD 280 Pros which I have liked for a long time, but now that my kids got their hand on it they are broke!

Admittedly, they are heavy on my head which is a huge annoyance, and the cord is so long I can't wind it up or hide it. I'd prefer detachable cables, so that I can switch them to shorter lengths if I need to. This isn't a necessity.

I use them on the train to and from work, to listen to music, or watch ripped DVDs on my Kindle. Also, I wouldn't mind using them for conference calls so an inline mic/volume control/stop&start music button would be amazingly great.

I found the http://en-de.sennheiser.com/hd-429s to be a good fit here, as they are under $100 (which is what I'd prefer to spend) and meet all my requirements. I'm not sure about the lightness though :)

On a related note... I will be wearing these in cold weather instead of earmuffs, so something durable would be ideal 

Much obliged for any suggestions!

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi, you should probably read this first: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

For under 100, the HP700s are well built, decent at isolation, and are fairly comfortable. Hard to find a combo that has all that, plus being lightweight and having removable cables, though. Well, actually, the new UE4000/6000/9000 might have it all, but not a lot of reviews, I guess. You can read more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread

For all the functionality you want, maybe try bumping the budget up by a bit?

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 8
I think having the inline mic/audio controls trumps the removable cord.

I want "OVER" ear headphones, not ON ear... my ears are pretty sensitive so the only headphones I've ever known are those that don't touch my darn ears :)

Hopefully that clarifies :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I think having the inline mic/audio controls trumps the removable cord.
I want "OVER" ear headphones, not ON ear... my ears are pretty sensitive so the only headphones I've ever known are those that don't touch my darn ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully that clarifies
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, the UE6000s are over-ear. That's what I meant by whether or not you could stretch your budget. 

Another over-ear around 100 with mic controls, good comfort, and are relatively comfortable are the Philip Uptowns. Seems to have everything you need. http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-updated-sept-18-2012

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Superlux HD669.

The HD669 is closed, over-ear, and VERY lightweight (236g). I think it's the closed version of the much more popular semi-open HD668B. Anyway, the dissonance between size (the cups are huge) and weight will take about a week to get used to. It has a detachable cord system and comes with a 1m and a 3m cable. You can also combine both. The clamping force is a bit strong but will ease with use. The isolation is great; it's a little too good for my uses. If there's some slight outside noise, I cannot have a conversation with someone without taking my headphones off. And I'm the kind of person who has the volume down at one or two levels above barely audible.

It uses the "wing" design like many Audio Technica headphones. Not sure if that's comfortable for you. I've been using it for slightly over a month now and have not had any discomfort with them.

The HD669's durability is interesting. It's mostly plastic. Besides the headband wire frame (which holds the two cups together), any part of the headphone that doesn't require metal will be made of plastic. That's probably why it's so lightweight. I think Superlux managed to use the bare minimum to make it reasonably durable. On a more practical note, I have been sprayed with water twice while wearing them and they did not go bad. The cans have also been bumped into various things. The only damage to it so far is cosmetic; it's a light paint scratch on the headband.

I also plan on using them as earmuffs, but it's not cold enough here yet for me to test them as such.

It should be around the 30-60 USD range, depending on where you live.

The Superlux HD662s (there are three flavors: 662, 662B, and 662F) might also be worth a look, especially if the HD669's wing design is a comfort issue or you'd like your headphone to function as a hairband in addition to earmuffs. They do weigh a bit more for some reason (285g).

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I have also heard good things about the Superlux HD660. It's design is an obvious copy of the beyerdynamic dt770/880/990 which are some of the most comfortable headphones out there. It's sound is a bit more for fun/normal listening where the 662/669 is more for studio monitoring.

I'm not sure about it's isolation but it is closed. Its a bit heavier then the 662/669 (280g) 

I have also heard that beyerdynamic dt770/880/990 pads will fit and make them super comfy. There isa n ebay seller that makes hand made ones that fit for $10 sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back