Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Superlux HD669

Superlux HD669

Pros: Isolation, cables, replaceable pads, clear/detailed sound across full frequency spectrum

Cons: Clamping power, default pads result in sweaty head, some EQ necessary to fully bring sound to full potential

Summary

I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day.

At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass was slightly subdued and the mids/highs were more prominent; I personally prefer a warmer sound, so it was a bit of a gamble buying them. However, I'm so glad I did - although at first I did feel the bass was a bit quiet, I installed Equaliser APO (http://www.head-fi.org/t/649389/a-free-parametric-equalizer-for-windows-vista-7-and-8-that-doesnt-need-asio-or-vst-it-works-inline-at-the-os-level) and after experimenting first with editing the text file, then finding a GUI (linked in the same thread), I boosted the bass to where I wanted it, lowered the treble slightly and it sounds lovely (to me) now. On my phone I use Google Music, which has a basic equaliser itself, so I did the same thing there and it's all fine and dandy.

For the price, I could not have asked for more.

Now to build a bit on my pros/cons.

Pros

• Isolation. These headphones are fabulous at cancelling out the outside world, and leak very little sound.
  • Cables. The fact that I have a shorter 1m portable cable and a longer 3m one is great. Really useful when I'm home to have the longer one, but having a shorter one stops tangles and confusion when out and about. Although the male jack on the actual headphones is very unusual, Superlux also provide a little clip to hook the headphones to the cable, which although simple makes all the difference - often removable cable headphones can get yanked out very easily.
  • Replaceable pads. As you can see in my cons, the default pads were not my favourite. However, they're easily removable and transfer with any pads for a variety of AKG/Superlux headphones which are available pretty cheap on eBay. Alternatively, there is always a sock mod.
  • Clear/detailed sound. Using these headphones I noticed various things about tracks I had not before. Even with my bass bumped up a bit the clarity has remained in the higher frequencies, giving a clear sound picture.

Cons

• Clamping power. When I first put on these headphones, I was suprised by the strength of the clamp. Being rather light, I didn't think they would clamp so hard. I had to leave them stretched over a set of books overnight to stretch them out a bit. I'm sure they'll wear in a little, but I found it a bit uncomfortable at first, though they are improving as time goes on.
  • Default pads. The default pads are pleather, and because of their fully isolating nature I've found my ears get a little warm and begin to sweat under the pads. I'm sure a sock mod would sort this.
  • Some EQ needed. As I said in my summary, I had to boost the lower frequencies using EQ slightly to get the sound I wanted. I do not feel that these headphones are lacking in bass, but the higher frequencies are certainly louder. I have tried bumping the bass way up as an experiment, and I can say that they could handle as much bass as I could give them - well, but they needed a bit of adjustment to get the bass at the same level as the mids/highs.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Pros: Sound clearity, Isolation, Detachable cable, Lightweight

Cons: No velour pads in the box

I've been using this can for a week now, and I can tell I'm really happy with it. I wanted to buy another model (Superlux HD-681 EVO) but it was unavailable in any retail shop in my country.

I'd prefer a semi-open build, because isolation could be a problem after prolonged use for me, but in the other hand it's great because you can listen music fairly high volumes without any sound leakage.

As I use it in an open office environment, I have to admit it was a good choice to go with a closed back design.

The sound clearity is great, the sound is fairly flat, hights are crispy, and the bass is deep enough to observe all the lows even in soundtracks.

Pros: Not too expensive, Flat, nice build quality, good bass

Cons: The materials are cheap, sharp treble, these cans are huge, not very portable if you want to use it outside.

So, I bought these during my birthday, though I first thought of buying the 688B and I thought the headphones were the size of a small pair.

But I was wrong. Instead of an HD668, I bought these. A really big pair of cans that you can't take out of a studio or a house.

Anyway, the first time I wore these, I already liked them. Though it takes some time to getting used to if you're used to small sized headphones or if you're not used to a sharp treble. You'll get used to them anyway.

For the design, it looks quite plain, it's just matte plastic lolz, matte, cheap, plastic to be exact. tongue.gif

Though this may be the case, the build quality itself is quite good actually. I've dropped it, abused it, and threw it at places and even bring it to school in a small bag.

So overall, I recommend these headphones to anyone who wants to enter the world of good audio.

UPDATE:

Broke after some time, I guess it was because I dropped it too many times. Though I have to find a way to put back the driver unit back in its place and replace the cord.

Pros: Neutral, fast, wide and engaging

Cons: Earpads are not nice, you need to tweak the headpads

I received these when I ordered the 688b blink.gif But still, I'm happy with them.  Bass is somewhat subdued but still present.  Highs and mids are very nice.  I am listening to them now with a portable amp, tcg t-box, and they have benefitted from this.  They draw me into the music. Yay,

Superlux HD669

Quoted from Superlux manufacturer site: HD669 Professional Studio Standard Monitoring Headphones The HD669 are closed-back, circumaural headphones designed for professional monitoring applications. Although suitable for a very wide range of applications, the exceptional attenuation of external noise makes the HD 669 particularly useful for use in a high-noise environment. The balanced, high definition and clarity sound of the HD-669 assures that a professional sound engineer can have full confidence when recording or monitoring. Type: Dynamic, closed-back Driver: Ø50 mm, neodymium Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL (1 mW) Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz Max. Input Power: 200 mW Rated Impedance: 56 Ω (Copper-coated aluminum wire) Ear Pads: Leatherette Cables: 1-meter (3.3 ft.) & 3-meter (9.8 ft.) straight, single-sided; plug-in cable on headphones (mini stereo connector) Connector: Gold plated stereo mini plug Headphone Caliper Pressure: Approx. 5 N Net Weight (without cable): 235 g (8.3 oz)

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Superlux HD669