Need IEM Assistance!
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ripkabird98

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been lurking around here and wanting to take the jump into high end IEM's for a while now, but never did. However, I really am now. I had made this account and then never asked for help, but I am simply getting tired of the poor performance of the earbuds you find at Wal-Mart.

I would LIKE to stay under $150, simply because I am a Student, and I really don't want to go over that right now.

I need something sturdy. I pop in my my 'phones when I go to sleep to listen to music. It will be put onto my end table for a while, it will go into my pocket, etc. I need them to be able to take a small beating without breaking. In no way am I saying I am hard on my stuff or that it will be tossed around, but because of my lifestyle they can't be super fragile, and need to be able to take daily wear and tear like a champ.

They CAN NOT LEAK MUCH SOUND! I listen to music that some people may be offended by, and I listen in public at high volumes all the time. I'm not hiding anything, but I don't want to be responsible for parent's being offended their kids sitting next to me in the waiting room are hearing things they shouldn't, and while my mom knows what I listen to, she doesn't want to hear it herself, so not leaking is very important to me.

I would love for them to be super comfortable! These will be worn for hours at a time!

Looks do not matter at all.

Isolation isn't an super must since I listen at high volumes anyway, but it's a plus for sure.

Stock tips don't matter; I will be purchasing some premium ones with them. I'm thinking maybe Tri-Flange? Any advice on tips would be great too. A place up the road makes custom tips too.

It will be used with my Android phone, PS VITA, Laptop, and iPod.

I don't fully understand all the lingo, so instead, I will simply list some of the routine artists I listen to to get a rough feel for the profile I would need...

Eminem
Hollywood Undead
AC/DC
Ke$ha
Katy Perry
Bring Me The Horizon
Slipknot
Nickelback
Linkin Park
3 Days Grace
Epic Rap Battles of History
The Ghost Inside
Comedy Shows recordings

I know, I know, bad music taste :)

It doesn't matter about having to buy instore or online.

Thanks for all the help!

~Dillon Nelson

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Also looking for comfortable decent sounding in ear phones for use with my iPhone or Galaxy S4 ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Klipsch X10, absolutely no sound leakage, great isolation for public listening, on the train, etc, easy to drive from a phone and incredibly portable, sound is smooth and great for easy listening but details are still there, bass is prominent and no songs should sound tinny or thin, good for all genres of music, also they are absolutely the most comfortable iem you will ever try, they weigh maybe 5g and have ergonomic signature klipsch oval tips, the strain releif is made of soft rubber so they are no problem to sleep with, you can barely feel them in your ears. You can get them sub $100 if you`re lucky, but usually they can cost up to $120, I have some much higher end iems and although the klipsch will not offer $400 sound quality (their original RRP), I always gravitate back to my Klipsch for their comfort and relaxing sound signature. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 12
I would take a look at them as they are in your budget and would sound pretty good in your budget.  The one's you mentioned are also very good though. You may find the R-50s lacking in bass depending on how much you like bass but they are a great sounding earphone. The GR07s are a pretty good all-rounder. Also have you looked at |joker|'s thread? It is a great resource for anyone looking for an iem.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-310-iems-compared-dunu-dn-1000-added-02-12-14-p-862

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 12
The size of the GR07 may not be comfortable for sleeping.

Here is my suggestion, for only $15 -- yes, $15. Phillips SHE-3590 -- they are on eBay or Amazon. Great bass, great highs, just fantastic, AND very small and sit inside your outer ear just right for sleeping. I promise, you will not regret the $15.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 12
The size of the GR07 may not be comfortable for sleeping.

Here is my suggestion, for only $15 -- yes, $15. Phillips SHE-3590 -- they are on eBay or Amazon. Great bass, great highs, just fantastic, AND very small and sit inside your outer ear just right for sleeping. I promise, you will not regret the $15.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Klipsch X10`s are fairly durable, I wouldn`t call them tanks, I have had mine for 3 years without problem, the strain releif has split a bit but Klipsch was nice enough to send me out a new backup pair even though sound reamained flawless, I`ve yanked them out of my ears before by hitting the y split and they still work fine, they seem to be well terminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back