Need Help
May 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bokeh

New Head-Fier
I know there are already threads in the forums with similar topics and the cardinal rule of forums is to search first. I have been searching and reading for days, but the number of options and recommendations for an amp that pairs well with the AKG K702 headphones is starting to get confusing. That and some of the topics are a few years old now and I'm guessing that some of the recommendations have changed or the amps are no longer available (Gilmore Lite for example).

Most of the topics I have read so far have either been by users who want to buy an amp under $200. I have a little bit more of a budget. I can afford up to around $500.

Second, I have seen a lot of recommendations for the Heed Canamp, but I have had little to no luck in actually finding any for sale. That and I would really like to hear opinions on other options.

Lastly, I would like to stay away from tube amps as this will be my frist headphone amp, unless someone has an awesome and compelling reason for me to go with tubes. 
tongue_smile.gif

With all of that being said, can you guys/gals help me?
dt880smile.png
 Thanks!

May 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Buy the Matrix M Stage 270.00 shipped. It brought my 701 to another level. Very powerful detailed and an upgrade from my Little Dot MK11. I am also burning in a Deno AHD7000 and this amp is delivering big time. It works with every can I have Shure 840,Denon 10001,701,70000 and D10001 JVC RX900. Recommended very highly. I do not see any reason to spend more. More isnt always better.LOL

May 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 12
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com/Blackbird_Audio_Gallery/Heed_Components.html

Separates give you more flexibility.

May 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm a noob and went for a GS Solo (now ultra linear) after a/b ing with Canamp. Does a sweet job of driving the K701
k701smile.gif

May 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 12
the k.i.c.a.s. caliente does a really great job. and purity audio has them on sale right now for $349 canadian.
great deal.

May 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Bummer, nobody has any suggestions?

How about using a more specific thread topic?
Cause many members around here tend to shy away from these "HELP" threads... ^_^

May 20, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Any of the mid-range solid-state amps should be fine.  However, they wont help if you don't have a good source to begin with.  My very first Head-fi mistake was buying an amp and having it make no difference when using my Macbook Pro as a source.  Buying a suitable DAC rectified this. This, of course, was before a number of the combo DAC/amp units that are available now existed. However, you do compromise at least a bit buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back