Need help with my new Senns (?)
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hotto

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

New to this excellent forum. I am a regular iPod and laptop user who decided to discard my ear buds and now look for a solid pair of larger phones, opened or closed. Primary use is longer trips and casual listening, so comfort is very important (cushions). Also, i do have a smaller than average sized head which should be taken into consideration.

I have done a good amount of research and found myself pleased with sennheisers range of phones. Particularly these models are interesting at the moment: the hd280 pro, 380 pro, 555, and 595. Since i am a newbie however i dont intend to spend too much, a maximum budget of $120 is set.. Also should be added that i will not be using an amp.

I listen to all kinds of music, but primarily rock and pop. I'm not a bass-head but do appreciate great sound listening which probably is why I have started to lean towards the Senns. (however, I have read terrific reviews about AKGs, Beyers and Grados, but the first two seem too expensive and the Grados feel somewhat uncomfortable).

Would someone be able to help me further in this matter? I am really excited about my future phones and willing to do extensive research in order to find the best fit!

ThAnk you all ,and please come back to me with your advice and experiences! I will be reading the forums meanwhile!

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:

I have done a good amount of research and found myself pleased with sennheisers range of phones. Particularly these models are interesting at the moment: the hd280 pro, 380 pro, 555, and 595. Since i am a newbie however i dont intend to spend too much.. Also should be added that i will not be using an amp.

You should really state a set budget so people can possibly recommend other options.

I'm a newbie, too, and from my experience, it is better to just go ahead and buy the best and most expensive pair that you can absolutely afford. If you start off with cheaper "starter" phones, you'll just keep contracting the highly contagious strain of upgradeitis and keep going up the headphone ladder until you end up with the really awesome pair anyway. The only difference in the latter scenario is that you also end up with a bunch of entry-level phones you spent a ton of money on that will just collect dust. So yeah, just because you're a "newbie" doesn't mean you try and spend the least amount of money (which is how I personally started off doing, and kind of regret).

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 12
^ Not always true. In fact, the journey up the ladder of audiophilia is fun itself. Plus, if you choose headphones that are well-respected here and take good care of them, you can recoup most of your investment by selling them to fund better purchases. Also, buying lower end versions of Grados, Sennheisers, AKGs, Denons, etc. will let you experience a multitude of different sound signatures and see which is the best fit for you. Then, you can upgrade with that in mind (or test your willpower to not upgrade
wink_face.gif
). Just my opinion...

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 12
Well I would then like to state my budget to a maximum of $100. I am aware that there are many deals out there, and I visit Ebay frequently among others.

I do agree with the fact that buying a HQ pair of phones will last a long period of time, but I still don't have the need of getting a pair of HD800 really. I am however interested in value, and that is why I limited the alternatives to the ones mentioned above, which I have read offer a great value for what you pay.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 12
While we're deviating from Senns, I suppose I'll also suggest the OP look into the Shure SRH840. It costs about $150 new, and I really enjoy it. Reviews of it have been stellar and you should definitely look into it if you are considering brands other than Senns.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Well thank you for your replies. I will go to a music store in the next few days and try out the recommended ones (together with a couple of Senns, of course..) If there are any more suggestions or comments on the above mentioned Senn models, I am happy to listen.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Shure SRH-440 with 840 pads (increase comfort), enjoying these a lot right now, after 15 hrs burn in the hot treble dies down and they sing!
I heard the 840 and these and went for the more neutral of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back