Need help with choosing Portable DAC that is an improvement over the ZTE Axon 7
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

spiritshifter

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

So recently i started getting more invested in the hobby and have been experimenting first with getting some budget IEMs before i get something more high end.
I wanted to improve my phone's audio by getting a portable DAC/Dongle.
However i already know that my phone comes with a good DAC, two of them actually specifically the:
AKM AK4961 and AKM AK4490EN

Overall i'd say listening to iems from the headphone jack is a good experience but i wanted to see if i can take my audio to the next level with a portable dac/dongle.

However i wanted to know which dac/dongle will be a guaranteed improvement in sound quality given that my phone already has a good dac from what i understand.

I was looking at the Ibasso DC06 and also considering the Questyle M12.
I wanted to know if either of these will have a significant difference on the sound quality or will they only be a marginal improvement.
Normally i listen to spotify on very high, but recently started getting into apple music to listen to lossless, will having a DAC/Dongle make a difference in sound quality when streaming lossless ?
For IEMS currently i'm using the moondrop Chu's and am considering getting the Arias as well.

What are some dongles that you would recommend for my situation

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 2
Keep in mind that the Chu is not very resolving at all and will make it difficult to judge differences between sources. I have the Chu and listened to it from my phone and DAC/Amps. They do make a difference but I would rather first spend money on better IEMs than on better sources. The Aria should be a solid step up.

When finally going for a better source it may be better to save up longer and go for a solution that will last you a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back