Need help to find a good starter headphone!
Jan 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Fryde

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone! 

First of all  I know that this kind of threat comes up a LOT but bear with me please. 

I would like to start a debate of what kind of headphone you will recommend within my specifications.

- It will be my first really serious investment in a headphone! 

What I want in my headphones:

1. A headphone with good isolation (for when I'm reading)
  2. Good bass response (like the sennheiser HD 201)
  3. Great for LP records
  4. Good for rock, folk, indie and sometimes electronic (but elektro music isn't that important, but I do listen to Porcupine Tree)
  5. Comfortable ! something I can wear in several hours
  6. Something that don't need an headphone amplifier, one who can be plugged right into my Denon DRA-275RD or my Sony STR-
    DE875
  7. budget at 138$ to 224$, now I live in Denmark (that's why the bad spelling) so the prices is different here (a LOT) in Denmark headphones is a lot more expensive for some reason, but give me your suggestions and I will try to find them cheap in UK or something :)

[size=medium]What I have been looking at:[/size]

1. Grado SR60i/80 (but very expensive and no noise canceling)
  2. Shure SHR440/840 (the 840 I have heard so much posetive feedback on, but a little expensive)
  3. Superluz HD-668 B (I don't know much about these but there have a reasonable price)

- That was a little description of what I'm looking for. Please help me find the one headphone that I'm looking for :) 

//Fryde

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 22
Yes.

I live in an arpartment with 2 other guys which isn't that quiet all the time, so it would be nice with a set which isolate so I can focus on my homework.. And the doors is of very poor quality and doesn't keep alot of noise out.  

But they doesn't need to be completly isolated (if u mean it will cost me sound quality and more money)

No I do not need an active noise canceling, but just some cans who isolate the music. 

- I'm pretty green at this stuff.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
  1. An noise canceling headphone (for when I'm reading)
  2. Good bass response (like the sennheiser HD 201)
  3. Great for LP records
  4. Good for rock, folk, indie and sometimes electronic (but elektro music isn't that important, but I do listen to Porcupine Tree)
  5. Comfortable ! something I can wear in several hours
  6. Something that don't need an headphone amplifier, one who can be plugged right into my Denon DRA-275RD or my Sony STR-
    DE875
  7. budget at 138$ to 224$, now I live in Denmark (that's why the bad spelling) so the prices is different here (a LOT) in Denmark headphones is a lot more expensive for some reason, but give me your suggestions and I will try to find them cheap in UK or something :)

Maybe the SRH840 for your needs, but some people find them uncomfortable. All depends of your head morphology, i haven't problems with them.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 22
I don't know if you can get them cheap where you are, but I'd recommend the Fischer Audio FA-003. Since you said the HD 201 had good bass response to your ears, the FA-003 would be a great step up in quality of the bass, if not quantity. Also, the FA-003 has great isolation, and you can barely hear anything around you even when it's extremely loud. They sound pretty nice for the price, too, and can be easily driven by the equipment you mentioned.

Sincerely,

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 22
They sound very interesting! I
checked the prices on the net, and I couldn't find them in my country, but I can order them from UK for around 205$ .
A price that I can afford to pay ! :) I will diffently consider those headphones, I have read a lot of posetiv reviews of ithem!

But I can't help thinking after reading this review of the FA-011, that they also sound very great, but as you said the FA-003 is good at isolating the sound in which the FA-011 isn't that great. 

But what about the soundstage, is the differens a big one? 

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 22
A few that haven't been mentioned:  Audio Technica ATH-M50, KRK 8400 and Sony MDR ZX700.

Do a bit of reading here at head-fi on them and see how well they fit your needs. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 22
KRK KNS 8400, best price in the U.S.A. is $120, which is (currently) 94 Euros.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 22
The issue with isolating headphones isn't cost, but comfort. To isolate well, the usually need to clamp with plenty of force. Closed circumaural(surrounding the ear)headphones will also make your ears very hot with extended use. For these reasons, many prefer an IEM(in the ear earphone) when they want good isolation without the clamping force or hot ears. It does take some time to get used to having these in your ears.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
They sound very interesting! I
checked the prices on the net, and I couldn't find them in my country, but I can order them from UK for around 205$ .
A price that I can afford to pay ! :) I will diffently consider those headphones, I have read a lot of posetiv reviews of ithem!

But I can't help thinking after reading this review of the FA-011, that they also sound very great, but as you said the FA-003 is good at isolating the sound in which the FA-011 isn't that great. 

But what about the soundstage, is the differens a big one? 

The soundstage is amazingly large for a closed can in the price range, similar to many open headphones.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
  1. Superluz HD-668 B (I don't know much about these but there have a reasonable price)

Superlux HD-668B semi-open headphone, so not great for isolation.
But they have a good sound for the price.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 22
I would go with beyers or some akgs. grados 225i are the best for its money but are really expensive but they are crystal light clarity  for the sound mids and highs

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I would go with beyers or some akgs. grados 225i are the best for its money but are really expensive but they are crystal light clarity  for the sound mids and highs

The website Bountii usually list the lowest mail order prices on lots of stuff.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for your opinions!

I'm trying to find a shop around here who sells most of the headphones mentioned!  
and I will check the site out (bountii) :wink:

Quote:

I don't know much about AKG's headphones, do you have some particular in mind?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back