Need help picking a new set of headphones
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jason Reilly

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some new headphones because I have been using some Sony MDR XB950AP's for the past few years and had all 4 pairs I've owned break on me in the same way and I'm tired of the poor build quality. I'm currently using some turtle beach headphones and the music quality is god awful. Anyway I've been looking at the Sony MDR A1's and Audio Technica ATH 50x's and I listen to Pop Punk Music and Hardcore/Metal Core and just wondering if either of these would good for this type of music.

If you guys want to suggest any I have two conditions they need to be comfortable to a point where I could where them for at least 5 hours straight with out any pain and have some Bass to them, I like high detail music but I'm a little bit off a bass head.

I know I seem fussy and that because I am haha, Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 13
Right. Well, in your price range and with your interests I would personally recommend something a little different. I like the SoundMAGIC HP151 very much. It is a slightly v-shaped headphone, meaning it will to some extent or other emphasize both bass and treble and that could potentially meet some of your bass needs. It is not a bass head can, but it has more than adequate bass for most people. It is a very solid can. It is 120 GBP on amazon.uk today. Another possibility for you is the Samson Z55, which has more of a bass emphasis. The Samson is not available on amazon.uk, so you will have to dig around for it. Of these two, my preference is for the HP151, which is just a terrific headphone. The SONY and the M50x are both pretty good, I just think the HP151 is better.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Hi, I'm new here. Right now I'm a fan of the Sony MDR V6, a thirty year old design currently going for around $80 in the states. Goes LOUD, has plenty of deep bass that does not impinge on the lower mids, requires little power but responds well to external headphone amps [particularly in the lower registers], detailed sound. Disadvantages include a long, non-removable cord. Very durable.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi, I'm new here. Right now I'm a fan of the Sony MDR V6, a thirty year old design currently going for around $80 in the states. Goes LOUD, has plenty of deep bass that does not impinge on the lower mids, requires little power but responds well to external headphone amps [particularly in the lower registers], detailed sound. Disadvantages include a long, non-removable cord. Very durable.
If you're considering going with MDR V6, I suggest getting his cousin, the MDR 7506 instead. Some say they sound the same, but I found the 7506 to be a bit more neutral and spacious sounding. Both have a bit of treble peakiness, so some songs may sound a bit harsh with either. Just my experience with them.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 13
If you're considering going with MDR V6, I suggest getting his cousin, the MDR 7506 instead. Some say they sound the same, but I found the 7506 to be a bit more neutral and spacious sounding. Both have a bit of treble peakiness, so some songs may sound a bit harsh with either. Just my experience with them.
My understanding is that the same drivers are in both sets of headphones, with the 7506 having a little more happening in the presence range to aid in monitoring dialog. Matter of taste I suppose. In either case, the "treble peakiness" in my V6's pretty much went away when I started using a Fiio 12a headphone amp. It makes me think that the Sony "Studio Monitor" [V6 & 7506] phones are better than they're usually given credit. I suspect that the V6's and 7506 are accurately rendering the inherent distortions of most headphone amps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 13
My understand is that the same drivers are in both sets of headphones, with the 7506 having a little more happening in the presence range to aid in monitoring dialog. Matter of taste I suppose. In either case, the "treble peakiness" in my V6's pretty much went away when I started using a Fiio 12a headphone amp. It makes me think that the Sony "Studio Monitor" [V6 & 7506] phones are better than they're usually given credit. I suspect that the V6's and 7506 are accurately rendering the inherent distortions of most headphone amps.
Wirecutter, in their face off of best headphones under $200, compared V6 and 7506, and said the V6 had more bass and a peakier response, whereas the 7506 had a smoother, flatter response. Makes sense, since 7506 are marketed as "Professional." They also said 7506 "produced a sense of place, whereas the MDR-V6 evoked a small room." http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

Steve Guttenberg of cnet also compared them and noted similar differences in their sound.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 13
If you can get the Sony MDR 1A within your budget I'm pretty sure that you'd be happy. They got plenty of positive feedback at the original $300 price, as I'm sure you've seen.
I tried multiple pairs of sets in that price range before buying my Sony for $150, but price wasn't an issue. For comfort nothing beats them, IMHO, truly excellent for long periods. Plenty of bass without being OTT basshead, plenty of details without being treble heavy. Balanced and powerful. They are popular for good reason.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Wirecutter, in their face off of best headphones under $200, compared V6 and 7506, and said the V6 had more bass and a peakier response, whereas the 7506 had a smoother, flatter response. Makes sense, since 7506 are marketed as "Professional." They also said 7506 "produced a sense of place, whereas the MDR-V6 evoked a small room." http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

Steve Guttenberg of cnet also compared them and noted similar differences in their sound.
And here's what he said:

"Comparing the MDR-V6 with the Sony was interesting. The two headphones look almost identical and sound similar, with a few key differences. First, the V6 produces a little more bass, but the MDR-7506 is leaner, and its treble range is accentuated. The MDR-V6 sounds more laid-back and mellower, while the MDR-7506 crisper and livelier. I'd go for the MDR-V6, but others may prefer the MDR-7506."

So, it really boils down to nuances/personal preferences here. By all means audition before you buy, if possible.

Worthy of note—these are hard to break. I picked up my second pair at a thrift store three years ago for $3.50. I replaced the foam earpads last year [$10.00]. The 7506 headphones are nearly identical in their construction and materials, so they should be as least as durable as the V6 model. Both sets of headphones should be equally comfortable, which is certainly more comfortable than most other headphones I've owned or used. I typically wear mine at work for at least seven hours a day, five days a week.

Also worthy of note—my portable system consists of a Fiio x1 glued to a Fiio 12a headphone amp. No question that I was getting better sound from the X1 than from my previous DAP, a 6th generation I-Pod Nano. But the sound didn't really open up until the x1 was connected to the Fiio 12a Mont Blanc headphone amp. The X1 appears to be rolled off or somehow smoothed out in the upper registers compared to the other portable players I've connected to the V6's. The effect reminds me of the sound of tubes in a circuit. All by itself, there was not all that much going on in the bottom octaves and there was some sonic confusion in the lower midrange. But using the 12a headphone amp there was a bass punch and power I did not hear before and the sound overall got bigger and clearer. As I posted before, it's not so much that the V6/7506 is harsh in the treble. It's just that these two "studio monitor" headphones are very good at exposing flaws in the signal chain—if your DAP sounds "thin" or nasty in the top octaves over these headphones, it most likely the source that's at fault.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 13
And here's what he said:

"Comparing the MDR-V6 with the Sony was interesting. The two headphones look almost identical and sound similar, with a few key differences. First, the V6 produces a little more bass, but the MDR-7506 is leaner, and its treble range is accentuated. The MDR-V6 sounds more laid-back and mellower, while the MDR-7506 crisper and livelier. I'd go for the MDR-V6, but others may prefer the MDR-7506."

So, it really boils down to nuances/personal preferences here. By all means audition before you buy, if possible.
I was simply trying to point out that some pro reviewers heard a difference between the 2, regardless of their preference. But since you mentioned Guttenberg preferred the V6, I'll add that in his review he also states "I'd go for the MDR-V6 -- I highly recommend it -- but CNET Executive Editor David Carnoy, who edited this review, preferred the MDR-7506. And so did CNET editor Matthew Moskovciak." The listening panel at Wirecutter also preferred the 7506 over the V6, since the 7506 won top honors in that comparison, and the author mentions the V6 would probably be a third or fourth place finisher behind its twin. I agree that one should always listen for him/herself whenever possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back