Need help finding comfortable headphones in ~$50 range for music and gaming.
Sep 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 21
Heya,

For mostly gaming, I'd go SR850. And there's mods out there to get velour, or more comfortable pads on them. It's going to reveal more, it is more detailed. So for gaming, I'd give it an edge. If you can manage the $118 price range, the Fischer Audio FA-011 is the one I'd suggest though. It's a heck of a lot of headphone, wood back, so good, so good.

Very best,

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 21

Points taken. I'm just trying to figure out which is the more ideal all-around headphone with more of am emphasis on gaming (meaning it needs to synergize with CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone, but still want to make the owner go listen to music every now and then) for the sub-$100 price range, mostly because recommending vintage Stax Lambda setups all the time to people in need of advice is rather impractical due to availability issues (not to mention cost and possibly being overkill for gaming).

I've also noticed that when people talk about "detail", there's an emphasis on the treble implied. This whole time, I thought it meant fast transient response across the board (even being able to pick out and analyze bass notes, as people claim to be able to do with the Ultrasone Pro 900) and generally revealing of even the subtlest nuances, no matter where they are on the spectrum. I guess it's that most of the nuances tend to be in the highs and mids.
I'll chime in on this as well.

My set-up consists of a X Fi Titanium Fatality Professional for PC Gaming and a EarForce DSS Dolby Headphone Processor for 360/PS3. At the recommendation of MalVeauX and Dsnuts I purchased the SR850s about 2 weeks ago, and received my HTF600s today.

In my short time with the 600s, I can tell you that they are definitely smoother than the 850s while the 850s are more crisp. The 600s have the edge in bass and I'm sure it will be an even bigger gap with burn in. The 850s have the wider sound stage.

At the moment I prefer the 600s by a great deal for music. The 850s can be harsh with the highs at times when it comes to music. The 600s are just so smooth and balanced with all genres of music I've thrown at it. It can pump the bass when the hip hop tracks call for it, or it can give you the mellow sounds of a violin when listening to an orchestra. MalVeauX and Dsnuts weren't lying when they said this set of cans sound much bigger than their price. I could easily see these going for $150+.

The 850s are the better gaming headphones. The highs aren't harsh at all in games when using my soundcard and dolby headphone processor. The wide sound stage is definitely noticeable and it really delivers an unmatched crispness/detail to games that hasn't been matched by anything I've heard. Another plus is the 850s pack enough bass so you won't feel like you're lacking when you want to feel the explosions. The 600s however do hold their own when it comes to gaming. Some will prefer it because of it's emphatic bass and warmer sound.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

Is there a difference between the HTF600 and the HTF600-S​ , or is it the same thing? I see some different sites list them both ways.

Same thing. Step monitors.

Get 'em. You won't regret it. It's a single bar tab's worth for a long time of really good fun warm music.

Very best,

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 21
Just bought the last pair of HTF600-S's Amazon had in stock for $41.92 with Prime 2-day. Hopefully they don't lower the price when they get them back in stock. I'll post what I think of them once they get here on Friday. Thanks for the help!

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Just bought the last pair of HTF600-S's Amazon had in stock for $41.92 with Prime 2-day. Hopefully they don't lower the price when they get them back in stock. I'll post what I think of them once they get here on Friday. Thanks for the help!

Get the beyer velour pads too. Worth it.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back