Need help choosing to buy best IEM for new year shure SE535, Westone 3, ER4P, or Triple fi
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

danpong

100+ Head-Fier
I have $500 budget and have been reading over 20000 posts for a month now and still can't decide.  I know it will be the biggest price ticket earphone I commit into.  I'm currently use Etymotic HF3 for my iPhone but sometimes the sound is not quite what I expected.  It is a bit more tiring after listen to it for a while.  I tried many tips but still get me exhausted.  I listen to all kind of music from pop, rock, new age(kitaro), to jazz and classic.

what I really want is the top notch sound with great clarity plus it must be "non-fatiguing", which means I can listen to that great sound for over 7 hours just like listen to big stereo set.  I know this might be far fetch but it is what I'm hoping for.  I'm reading up on many products like SE535, Westone 3, ER4P, or Triple fi.  

what I'm looking for is again:
1 non-fatiguing
2 big sound stage nice surrond
3 great and precise detail on mid and treble
4 good punch on bass (doesn't need to be too strong) my hf3 is really lack on this.

I hope I can pack my big polk stereo system in to my ear but that is not a choice isn't it : )

Hope all of you seasoned head-fier can help me 

thank you in advance 

Dan

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 14
If you don't like the HF3, you won't like the ER-4. Same tips.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 14
I had the TF10s and they have pretty punchy type of bass, very textured/detailed as well. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 14
I just got my Westone 3 IEM's and I love them. I tried them a few months ago, and couldn't believe the SQ.

I'm definitely not an audiophile, but since I started using them, I'm hearing instruments and sounds in songs I didn't even know were there.

As for comfort, they come with a bunch of different tips, so I think for most people should be able to find something that fits perfectly. I'm using the mid-size grey tips and I don't even know I'm wearing them after 2 hours...

... as for bass, I've certainly hear headphones with more Base, but not the mids and highs heard with these. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems the level of bass varies depending on which tips you are using.

Good luck, for me there was only one choice. I never dreamed I would spend $400 on "earbuds" but after hearing them, I had never heard music sound so good. I am now officially afraid to try over ear models
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Hm westone 4 sound really intriguing... they said that it will be reveal in ces 2011.  Not sure whether they will sell it there also, if so I might go there just to hear it out and hopefully get it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 14
If comfort is a high priority (it is for most people), I'd say go with either the SE535s or the Westone 3's (though you might want to wait until the Westone 4's come out if you have that much money to spend). Both are excellent in terms of comfort and have a very warm, non-fatiguing sound signature. The 535 also has a replaceable cable, and you can buy one with a mic/remote/volume controls for the iPhone. Not to mention it's one of the best-sounding universal IEMs out there (you DO get what you pay for).

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
If comfort is a high priority (it is for most people), I'd say go with either the SE535s or the Westone 3's (though you might want to wait until the Westone 4's come out if you have that much money to spend). Both are excellent in terms of comfort and have a very warm, non-fatiguing sound signature. The 535 also has a replaceable cable, and you can buy one with a mic/remote/volume controls for the iPhone. Not to mention it's one of the best-sounding universal IEMs out there (you DO get what you pay for).

yes I agree with you.  I really like the detachable design of the SE535.  It looks indestructible.  I plan to have this new IEM for at least 3-5 years until the technologies excel and made way better product than it is now.  I will also wait for Westone 4.  I live in CA so go to CES 2011 is possible for me.  I might just go and give it a try at Westone booth then decide.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 14
can u reshell the westone 3 and the soon to be release 4 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back