Need help choosing sub-$50 headphones!
May 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sevan1028

New Head-Fier
So I am in the market for some new headphones. I think I have narrowed the search down to these three cans (HD202 vs HARX700 vs ATH-M30), but if someone has another suggestion for a good sub-$50 pair that will work too.

I really don't know too much about headphones, so I figured I would come to the experts in the head-fi community for help. Here is some info that could help:

1. I mainly listen to hip-hop, pop, alternative, rock (in that order)
2. I will ideally use these headphones at home and at work
3. It is very important that not a lot of sound leaks, as I do not want to disturb coworkers
4. Comfort is a huge plus...I read that the harx can get uncomfortable over time, is there merit to that claim?

All that said, can anyone recommend a pair of headphones to me or comment on the difference between the HD202, HARX700, and ATH-M30?

Thanks!

EDIT: I will mainly be using the headphones on my computer and sometimes on my ipod, not sure if this changes anything

May 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 13
If you don't mind open headphones, KSC 75s are a steal. Very enjoyable and detailed.

For closed, I have not heard any of your above options but I have read very good things about the XB500's. Definitely better than HD202's since the bass is a little muddier on the HD202's.

May 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 13
I'll put in a vote for the HAR-X700, I think it sounds a lot better than the 202, can't say about the M30 only listened to it a bit.  700 sounds really good if you mod it a little.  HAR-X is comfy, but it made my ears sweat.

May 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 13
I'll give a vote for the HARX700.

I've had mine for 18 days now and I'm VERY impressed. I also just got the HARX900 which should still be considered since they're $56 SHIPPED, but and they aren't as impressive as the 700's were. Maybe after burn in is complete....but for now the HARX700 gets my under $50 vote.

May 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd go for the HArx700's as well. 

Havent tried the M30's but there's an interesting review here

May 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone heard anything about the M30's?

i use M30s at work (i'm a video editor) and i think they are quite good phones. very durable, comfortable, and very good sound. i give them a thumbs up.

owners seem to agree:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM30-ATH-M30-Professional-Headphones/product-reviews/B00007E7C8/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

May 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 13
Looks like its mainly a decision between the rx700s and the m30.

It probably sounds stupid, but the length of the cable on both seems a bit excessive. I feel as if it may get in the way when I'm on the bus, or walking on the street...can someone comment on that issue?

For that reason, and because...well it looks really comfortable...I'm looking into the sony xb300's. Is there a big difference between the the xb300s and xb500s and the harx700?

May 24, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Looks like its mainly a decision between the rx700s and the m30.

It probably sounds stupid, but the length of the cable on both seems a bit excessive. I feel as if it may get in the way when I'm on the bus, or walking on the street...can someone comment on that issue?

very good point. for commuting, the cable needs to be shorter.

May 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Don't know how I didn't recommend these: Audio Technica ATH-SJ5's. I love them. They're supra-aural (they're a little tight out of the box but they loosen up to be more comfortable as you wear them more), sound good with any genre, and they isolate well. They also look stylish IMO. You can get them for approximately $50 now (they used to be $80 before).

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 13
If you can find the Beyerdynamic DTX 710s refurbished on Amazon for $60 it's well worth the extra 10 dollars; I'd contend they beat out all the other phones listed here, definitely the JVCs and the M-30s/m-40s. They're open-back, but they don't leak too much sound at lower/medium volume levels. 

The biggest advantage is that you can get *any* sound out of them with a little bit of EQing. I guess for pop and hip-hop you'd want something more bassy out of the box, though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back