Need Help Choosing First Pair of Good Headphones
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sbrown2251

New Head-Fier
My budgets around $200-300 dollars, but I'm willing to stretch it a bit if the quality of a pair is worth it.  I listen to a lot of dubstep, so bass is important.  I also listen to indie occasionally, and other electronic often.  I've heard that the Ultrasone HFI 580s might be good for me, but I'm interested in seeing what else might be good. I listen to music out of my laptop and iPhone.  I would be taking these to school nearly every day because I listen to music on the bus and at school.  I also would be using them for long sessions at my computer.

Please help! I'm really overwhelmed as I've never bought headphones
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 20
Go for the 580's

You don't need an amp also

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 20
Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580 and DJ1 are indeed the same. Cosmetic difference, cable difference.

And they're both excellent for what you're looking for.

There's also the Denon 1100, or D2000 to look at (I suggest D2000 in your budget range, just search for a place having a sale, or check for a used one).

Very best,

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 20
Ok, fantastic.  As far as headphones go, is buying used a good idea?  Typically with electronics, I don't buy used, but I don't really know anything about the life of headphones.

Thanks so much.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Ok, fantastic.  As far as headphones go, is buying used a good idea?  Typically with electronics, I don't buy used, but I don't really know anything about the life of headphones.

Thanks so much.

Headphones don't die from normal usage and they take quite a amount of abuse.

Here, as long as the pics took good and the guy details the scratches and possible damages, they should be good headphones

It's just me, but i like to buy new because I like to see my headphones change over time. That's just me.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:

Thanks so much.

Heya,

I get used all the time. It's nice saving $50~$100 on a headphone that is perfectly good. Most of the `like new' and `mint' stuff is literally as good as new. If you're at all worried, you just wash the pads or something. I look at it as a favor, they've been listened to for X hours and didn't break, so they're a good functioning product. And if you're into the burn in phenomenon/mysticism, then you just got some free burn in time performed for you and a discount on the headphone at the same time.

I've had some headphones for over 10 years. I just sold my HD580 the other day for half what I paid for it 10 years ago. It was still in that good of condition.

Just think of them as investments. They resale if they're good/known/popular models.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Heya,

I get used all the time. It's nice saving $50~$100 on a headphone that is perfectly good. Most of the `like new' and `mint' stuff is literally as good as new. If you're at all worried, you just wash the pads or something. I look at it as a favor, they've been listened to for X hours and didn't break, so they're a good functioning product. And if you're into the burn in phenomenon/mysticism, then you just got some free burn in time performed for you and a discount on the headphone at the same time.

I've had some headphones for over 10 years. I just sold my HD580 the other day for half what I paid for it 10 years ago. It was still in that good of condition.

Just think of them as investments. They resale if they're good/known/popular models.

Very best,

Most people keeps their stuff in great condition.

My HD598 have seen 600+ hours and not even a scratch. Like brand new.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 20
Another vote for Denon AH-D1100. They are comfortable, portable and will suit your musical preferences. No need for amplifiers.

If you can find the D2000 for 200 they would be a better deal, but they are not as portable as D1100.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 20
That probably varies depending on what headphones you're looking at. I know you can get good deals there for some of the more popular models, and I've bought stuff from eBay countless times that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (albeit not headphones), but I've found better deals here on Head-Fi's buy/sell/trade section. In fact, that's how I scored my vintage Stax Lambda setup that I thought I'd never be able to afford based on recent eBay results.

Just shop around and keep your eyes peeled for the best deal you can find.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Ok, I'll check out used ones for sure then.  Is eBay pretty much the standard for buying used headphones? 

Heya,

I only buy used headphones here on Head-Fi from other Head-Fi members (unless it's their ebay listing and I know it).

eBay is like no-man's-land and can be anything, I don't buy anything from eBay typically. I either get it new from Amazon or another good store, or used here on Head-Fi. There's very little that you cannot find for sale here week to week.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 20
For 300+ bucks you can check also Pro 900.
If you plan to shop from ebay always check the seller's feedback.
Sellers with more than 99% positive feedback are trustworthy and usually provide a smooth bying experience.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 20
The bass on the D2000's will be much more controlled.  If the rumors are true the DJ1 is the same as the older HFI-580 which was the better sounding Ultrasone at the time.  In the price point the HFI-580 and thus DJ1 is really a great deal.  The bass will be more controlled on the D2000's and the HFI-580's have a little distortion in the upper end.  The HFI-580's also have a little bit more of a bass boost which may be uncontrolled and boomy for some.  The D2000 has a flatter response curve making it better for monitoring, but honestly if you are looking for a budget can the DJ1 should be great.

I would purchase them locally if you can find them, but amazon should work fine.  I mean for $109 you have yourself a nice set of cans.

Let us know how you like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back