Need help about Portable Headphones
May 2, 2011 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mkv1500

Head-Fier
Hello,
I am posting this for a friend of mine. He is not registered here but follows the community regularly. 

He is in need of good headphones. His current reference headphones is Beats Studio by Dr. Dre. He saw one in best buy and liked it. 

Is it a good buy for $300?

Some of his requirements are as follows:

Budget: USD 300 max. 
Isolation: Important. Will be travelling by plane frequently, so needs good isolation from engine noise
Sound Leak: Minimal
Comfort: Extremely high. Should be able to wear it for longer time. 
Looks: Should look good on head. 
Music Type: All kinda English songs, also includes Bollywood(Indian) songs.  Bass is important. 

I am not sure if i should suggest portable headphones or full size cans since i don't know what category is Dr. Dre. But that's his reference point. He will be able to order online, so its not a problem. 

Please advice. he needs to buy them asap. 

Thank You

May 2, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 14
stay away from the beats, most overly priced headphones ever.

as for other suggestions i dont know.

May 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Most portables I use/used are poor in isolation because I want to be able to hear my surroundings.

Only 3 portables come to mind ATM when thinking about good, comfortable portables with isolation are

Sennheiser HD 25-1-II 
- 9/10 isolation. Almost can't hear a thing externally!!
- 8/10 comfort. Comfy for prolonged periods of time. Pads are thick and protruding.
- 8/10 looks. Simple and sleek.
- 9.5/10 sound. Cant get better than this!!!

Beyerdynamic T50p
- 9.5/10 isolation. Same as the HD 25s if not slightly better
- 8/10 comfort. Slightly smaller cups compared to the HD25's. May be a good thing depending on your ears/head
- 9/10 looks. Well built and looks really really classy.
- 9/10 sound. Did not have enough time to comment on it but it sounds really good for the brief time I was with it.

Bowers & Wilkins P5
- 9/10 isolation
- 9.5/10 comfort. Amazingly comfortable..
- 9.5/10 looks. You'll want to be seen wearing these. Build quality is impeccable.
- 8/10 sound. Not as good as the other 2 but good enough to carry its weight.

May 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 14
thank you wilz

that was really helpful.

here are some that i shortlisted for him. if you could care to comment on them i would appreciate it

1. Audio Technicia M50 

2. Sennheiser hd 598

3. Denon AHD 2000

4. Beyerdynamic dt 770

6. Grado SR325i

7. Audio Technica ATH A900 or A700.  

i had considered the one's you listed. so apart from those 3, these are the 7 i short listed. any good any of these?

@randomkid, on hearing his willingness to pick up the beats, i immediately told him the same thing. I guess i was right. 

thanks

May 2, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Immediately cross out any headphones that are open (HD595 and Grados) as they will block out zero noise, and leak waaay too much noise to use on an airplane (not to mention you'd have to turn them up to dangerously loud volumes to hear anything).

Audio technica ATH-A700/900 could be nice, but unfortunately there don't appear to be any (or many) reviews of them here...

The M50s are recommended way too much too, so I don't really want to recommend it, but it could be a solid choice. :p

May 3, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 14
DaBomb is right, Sennheiser 595/598's are open headphones, so (however gorgeous the 598 looks) they must be crossed out if isolation is priority.

Audio Technica m50's are widely and generally recommended for a reason, and they're the most versatile closed headphone out there!! They're not as beautiful as the Bowers & Wilkins or Beyer, but the m50's will pull its weight in performance, durability and comfort, as well as pricing.

However, that being said, in my experience, travelling long distances/hours with headphones on can hurt the ears especially with circumaurals like the m50's which is why all 3 recommendations I gave were supraurals. I tend to feel that supra's give more comfort over longer time. The circumaurals are comfy when you first put them on, and they feel luxurious but after awhile the ears get warm and start to hurt. The larger cups of circumaurals also tend to get in the way of things when you're lying down in a plane.

I cannot comment on the others on the list as I've not tried them. Most of the other models are circumaurals. My aerodynamically challenged ears dont go well with these therefore I've limited knowledge on them cept the ath-m50s.

I will recommend the B&W p5 strongly. It looks classier, esp for a frequent flier businessman (assuming so). Its very comfortable and B&W makes good talking point to other businessmen who might have heard of the brand due to its hifi roots. Its sound performance falls behind the other 2, but not by very much. To common non-audiophile ears that your friend have, they will be more then excellent!

Here is an example of Beats: Solo
http://vagarms.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/justin-bieber-and-justin-bieber-just-beats-gallery.jpg

Now this is Bowers & Wilkins p5
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/10/40/5/192/1922507/460ac75d1484e325_David.jpg

Show your friend these 2 pictures and let him decide.

May 3, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
DaBomb is right, Sennheiser 595/598's are open headphones, so (however gorgeous the 598 looks) they must be crossed out if isolation is priority.

Audio Technica m50's are widely and generally recommended for a reason, and they're the most versatile closed headphone out there!! They're not as beautiful as the Bowers & Wilkins or Beyer, but the m50's will pull its weight in performance, durability and comfort, as well as pricing.

However, that being said, in my experience, travelling long distances/hours with headphones on can hurt the ears especially with circumaurals like the m50's which is why all 3 recommendations I gave were supraurals. I tend to feel that supra's give more comfort over longer time. The circumaurals are comfy when you first put them on, and they feel luxurious but after awhile the ears get warm and start to hurt. The larger cups of circumaurals also tend to get in the way of things when you're lying down in a plane.

I cannot comment on the others on the list as I've not tried them. Most of the other models are circumaurals. My aerodynamically challenged ears dont go well with these therefore I've limited knowledge on them cept the ath-m50s.

I will recommend the B&W p5 strongly. It looks classier, esp for a frequent flier businessman (assuming so). Its very comfortable and B&W makes good talking point to other businessmen who might have heard of the brand due to its hifi roots. Its sound performance falls behind the other 2, but not by very much. To common non-audiophile ears that your friend have, they will be more then excellent!

Here is an example of Beats: Solo
http://vagarms.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/justin-bieber-and-justin-bieber-just-beats-gallery.jpg

Now this is Bowers & Wilkins p5
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/10/40/5/192/1922507/460ac75d1484e325_David.jpg

Show your friend these 2 pictures and let him decide.

I honestly thought the justin bieber beats were a joke when I first saw them and chuckled to myself saying "that would be so funny if they really did make these" then I realized it was real and cried a little inside.

May 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 14
thank you for the information, i have passed it on. waiting to hear from him. 

so basically, p5 is supraurals while m50 is circumaurals. any other good headphones of these two types that i should consider and may have missed?

how are beyerdynamic dt 880? it retails for same price. 

May 3, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
thank you for the information, i have passed it on. waiting to hear from him. 

so basically, p5 is supraurals while m50 is circumaurals. any other good headphones of these two types that i should consider and may have missed?

how are beyerdynamic dt 880? it retails for same price. 

Looks like the DT 880 is a semi-open design, meaning it won't isolate much therefore not much use on planes.  I looked up some reviews and it's apparently a very flat studio monitor, meaning not much bass if that's what he wants.

May 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 14
I cant think of many more....
however, the beauty of the internet allows for..

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-78-portable-headphones-reviewed-sennheiser-px90-px100-ii-added-04-17

May 6, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 14
*** UPDATE *** 

Ordered - Audio Technica - m50. 

thank you all for your opinions. it was very valuable. 

as soon as i get to hear it, i will update with first impressions. 

thanks once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back