Need Cans for my Lifestyle
Mar 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PLSkillJBeebs

New Head-Fier
Howdy, new guy here. I'm a media nut. I love my music above all, movies are a close second and games are fun when I'm bored. I love rock and hip hop type genres. Movies and games in my opinion have very similar sound profiles (not sure if used right). I want a headphone set that can handle what i need for the price wifie set (damn it) my shameful price point is around 350.

I'd like something that's easy to manage ill be using then mostly at home I plan on begging her for some noise canceling headphones for traveling some other time.
I'd like them to be able to be used with mobile device cases. I've read a lot of complaints about headphones with the screw on 1/4" because it makes the 1/8" too shot. I almost bought a few cans but I realized that it wouldn't work for my needs sadly. I'd like a detachable cable if possible too. I'd like a shorter cable but its not the end of the world. I've had a look at a few AKGs as well as some Beyerdynamics and a few others. I'm very picky, but hell I'd say everyone here is other wise we would all be raving about Bose. Lol.
Frankly I'm new to the audiophile market and spending a ton of money to jump in to the pool with the rest of you audio junkies is a bad idea.
So folks lay your opinions on me before my wife buys me some qc15s for my birthday in a month...save me.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Hm... so in short ya need portable phones <$350 for movies/music/games before your wife buys ya a qc15.

Oh... this is gona be tough. I would recommend open phones for movies since they generally seem to do better w/ spacial placement. But you're going portable, so more than likely you need isolation. 

MDR-1R and the Custom One Pro both fit the bill and for what you want. If you decide to go w/ the COP and stretch $50, you can also get the MA900 for movies/games. They also handle music very well, but I don't think they'd have that preferred bass impact compared to the open phones.

Oh, and lucky you, I just checked the price on the MDR-7520 and it's currently $359. Last time I checked it was $400 (a few months back). It'd be a pretty decent steal for music, but I'm not sure about movies/games. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Mad Dogs by Mrspeakers with a FiiO E10. Later on get a Schiit Magni.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 11
DT770/880 (depending on the sound you like) + O2 amp

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I'd like them to be able to be used with mobile device cases. I've read a lot of complaints about headphones with the screw on 1/4" because it makes the 1/8" too shot.

Not a big problem here. Buy yourself a short adapter you'll normally find for cellphones. Those short 1/8" extension cords will let you plug any sized 1/8" plugs to it. Otherwise you can consider enlarging the headphone port opening on your case, if applicable, with a dremel or something. For larger plugs though, like the notorious Grado ones, you'd still need that extension cable.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Hello!

I like MDR-1R for modern music and I am thinking that you might as well! But I don't think 1R is great for movies and gaming, maybe a pair of Sony MDR-MA300? Those two Sony should play well with your needs. As for cable, I am not a professional with it. Sorry can't help with that!

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 11
+1 on the mad dog, my ZMF should be coming in later this week, cant wait to test it out.

P.S I bring my mad dog out in public with a cmoy, I do get talk from my co-worker, so if aesthetic is your thing, you might want to look at the ZMF or Sennheiser momentum which I think is very good. If you dont mind on-ear I would get the Thinksound On1, I had it for 2 weeks and it sound fantastic. If it werent for the on-ear I would definitely pick it.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 11
  +1 on the mad dog, my ZMF should be coming in later this week, cant wait to test it out.

P.S I bring my mad dog out in public with a cmoy, I do get talk from my co-worker, so if aesthetic is your thing, you might want to look at the ZMF or Sennheiser momentum which I think is very good. If you dont mind on-ear I would get the Thinksound On1, I had it for 2 weeks and it sound fantastic. If it werent for the on-ear I would definitely pick it.

You bumped a year old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back