Need a good portable amp for my HD 650's
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Blindsay

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
Hi all, Just upgraded from my HD 555's to some HD 650's and for the most part they are hooked to my Onkyo 806 reciever but on occasion I do hook them to a portable device (ipod, laptop, my cell phone) so i wanted to pick up a portable amp for those times. If i could get something good for my headphones for under $100 thats great but i would go up to $200 if needed.
 
 
The FiiO E7 and E17s looked decent but im open to suggestions of others.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 22

tzjin

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2010
Posts
808
Likes
52
The E11 actually has a better amp than the E7. For that price range, I feel that the UHA-4 (includes DAC) and the C421 (amp only) will be your best bets for a truly portable amp, while the O2 will be great for something you can throw in a bag.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 22

Blindsay

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
Quote:
The E11 actually has a better amp than the E7. For that price range, I feel that the UHA-4 (includes DAC) and the C421 (amp only) will be your best bets for a truly portable amp, while the O2 will be great for something you can throw in a bag.

You mention the E11 has a better amp than the E7, but how does it compare to the E17? (id prefer to stick to something i can nab from amazon as i have a gift card for there haha)
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 22

Blindsay

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
Quote:

Well they sure seem to like it haha, i have a $50 gift card so i can get it for only $89 and change, seems like a good deal to me. I get an amp and DAC in 1 portable unit (i like that its pretty small)
 
edit: 30mw going to be enough for my HD 650s? (i see the e17 lists [size=x-small]30mW (300Ω Loaded)[/size])
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 22

GloryUprising

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Posts
617
Likes
33
Quote:
Well they sure seem to like it haha, i have a $50 gift card so i can get it for only $89 and change, seems like a good deal to me. I get an amp and DAC in 1 portable unit (i like that its pretty small)
 
edit: 30mw going to be enough for my HD 650s? (i see the e17 lists [size=x-small]30mW (300Ω Loaded)[/size])

 
Honestly, the FiiOs are ok.  Not GREAT but for your budget I'm not sure you'd find anything to be great.  I have both E7 and E17 and didn't like either.  ALO's National is a decent pairing, but again not great.
 
If you must, PA2V2 sounded better to me then the either the E7/E17, but again not great.  If you go PA2V2, be sure to tell Gary that you want to drive HD650s.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 22

Blindsay

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
Quote:
 
Honestly, the FiiOs are ok.  Not GREAT but for your budget I'm not sure you'd find anything to be great.  I have both E7 and E17 and didn't like either.  ALO's National is a decent pairing, but again not great.
 
If you must, PA2V2 sounded better to me then the either the E7/E17, but again not great.  If you go PA2V2, be sure to tell Gary that you want to drive HD650s.

They would be better than none at all though no?
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 22

Protostar

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 16, 2012
Posts
1
Likes
0
I'm in the same situation as the OP (having upgraded from the 555 to the 650) however, I've refined my search down to two separate AMPs. I've been looking at the JDS Labs C421 and the Leckerton Audio UHA4. The only comparison between the two I've seen, I read on these forums and it was informative however I was wondering if I could get any further input on the subject before I pull the trigger and buy either one of them. I'd also be open to consideration of any other portable AMPs that can compete with the two listed in the general price range, give or take 50 bucks.
 
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 22

Mutnat

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Posts
258
Likes
16
Quote:
The E11 actually has a better amp than the E7. For that price range, I feel that the UHA-4 (includes DAC) and the C421 (amp only) will be your best bets for a truly portable amp, while the O2 will be great for something you can throw in a bag.

 
Quote:
They would be better than none at all though no?

 
I think tzjin has it right.  You had said you would spend up to $200, and the two he mentions are about the best you can do in that price category.  Save your Amazon gift card for a couple of DVD's or Blu-rays or something (a couple of nice concert Blu-rays would sound nice on your new gear!) and choose from those two. That's my suggestion.  Either is going be a noticeable upgrade over the E17.
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 22

Blindsay

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
Yes the DAC is a factor
 
 
If you guys think the UHA-4 is worth it over the E17 ill go that route then. I notice on their page they have options for different op-amps. what one do you think i should get there?
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 22

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Posts
29,296
Likes
1,914
Location
California
Quote:
Hi all, Just upgraded from my HD 555's to some HD 650's and for the most part they are hooked to my Onkyo 806 receiver but on occasion I do hook them to a portable device (iPod, laptop, my cell phone) so i wanted to pick up a portable amp for those times. If i could get something good for my headphones for under $100 that's great but i would go up to $200 if needed.
 
 
The FiiO E7 and E17s looked decent but I'm open to suggestions of others.

Fiio E17 offer a lot, great for plugging into your laptop's USB port, but you can't use the E17's DAC feature with the iPod or cell phone.
The E11 ($65) does not come with a DAC, but I think it puts out a little more juice at 300-Ohm then the E17.
For around $13, off eBay, for the E11, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery charger.
 
For around $60, off eBay, you can get the Dac Destoryer, USB-DAC, that can plug into your laptops' USB port (and the E11 into the Dac Destoryer).
 
$65 + $13 + $60 equals $138.
(maybe another $5 for a cable).
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 22

brokegippo

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Posts
18
Likes
10
I used to use a mini 3 diy amp for my senn hd580s and was impressed with the results.
 
 
Jul 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 22

gattari

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Posts
423
Likes
37
Why not an o2 amp.
I use one from jds and have eccellent result with my hd 650.
But it is not extremly portable and if your primarly interest is portability go for a fiio.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top