NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Oct 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #151 of 424
Here's the inside. It's clearly a Cmoy done right. It still uses a voltage splitter but a more than basic one. Still means the supply impedance is a bit high and not extremely stiff. I do think this is just as good as 3 channel amps unless you need a lot of current and he may have done a bit more here besides to help with current load. This looks to have electrolytic output coupling caps which can be fine with some tayloring which it looks like he does. They are however not upgraded type electrolytics. That may not be needed with when bypassing. The first thing I did with a recent build I'm doing for review was bypass (parallel to) the output caps. It appears that he's doing the same and may also be doing so on the PS. It's basically pretweaked. I wonder if there's a resister in series to the output. The 8610 doesn't need it but that may not be so for all his options. The diode is likely a zener to protect from overcharging and/or as a simple V regulator for the wall wart. This device is about a smart guy that knows how to build and voice something but isn't ground breaking in any way. That is actually a compliment but at the same time, it can't be a 'best there is' type product, especially when offering voicing options. It can however be a VG sounding amp with a slightly warmer/rounder than real bass into certain loads.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #152 of 424
Quote:
be great to see Ninogui... you thoughts using both the line-out & the headphone-out on the Sony would be real appreciated.

I have a Sony so am well interested

Havent received the the sony line out dongle and the cable so still can´t comment

All I can say for the time being is the neco v3 does all what´s intended to with a great battery life. The bass enhance is very smart meaning it does not push bass in an overbearing way, it just (slightly) emphasizes the really lower freqs. I´d say it´s the best simple analog implementation I´ve heard so far in portable gear. Funny thing on the dip switch plate the on position means in fact bass enhance is off (lol) they´re switched over no biggie really. Even on the AT-M50´s the bass on is not overbearing although I personally prefer to have it off due to the ATM´s signature, which then becomes close to perfect. On the jvc FXT90 I´d rather have it on to push those stiff nanotubes (and if you do you´ll be rewarded)

It has been burning together with the seriously underrated sony A-866 (btw looks so tiny on top of the Neco) coupled to a jvc fxt90. I´d rather post some pics when I get the cables

ps: how do you guys swap the op amps ? components are so tightly fitted together next to the op amps I doubt even with a spider type clamp IC extractor they could be taken out

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #153 of 424
just got mine !! burning in with a modded gen5 iPod and DENON D2k / Ultrasone sig pros.

first impressions are impressive. Incredibly better than my fiio E17, bass is tight, mids are rich, battery life is incredible (LiOn option).

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #154 of 424
Quote:
just got mine !! burning in with a modded gen5 iPod and DENON D2k / Ultrasone sig pros.
first impressions are impressive. Incredibly better than my fiio E17, bass is tight, mids are rich, battery life is incredible (LiOn option).

Will be interested in how it matches with the sig pro once you've got used to the sound.  I personally find those cans can become a little too clean, even bright, with certain SS amps and probably could benefit from the warmth of tubes.  They sound great out of my sansa fuze though.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #155 of 424
Hi guys.

Neco_soundlab anounced on facebook that new BOSSFET V3 headphone amplifier will be available on November 5th.

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #158 of 424
LOL amcananey you're NECO crazy!
Yeah I have sympathy with you my V3 portable is that good.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #160 of 424
I have OPA627s in my BOSSFET, and AD8610s in my V3 portable. I'm not convinced that opamps make a huge difference. Most of the opamps I've tried have sounded good. At some point, swapping out stuff gets old and I just want to listen to my music. The V3 portable does VERY well with the HD600s. Interestingly, I find that the bass on the HD600 with the V3 is very similar to the bass that I get when using a tube amp (both of which are much better than I get on most other solid state amps). I like the HD600 much, much better than the HD650, so it is very hard for me to judge the performance of the V3 itself when comparing those two...

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #162 of 424
Congrats imackler.

Did you order V3 portable or BOSSFET V3?
Anyway love to hear how do you think.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #163 of 424
I'm curious myself...portable or BOSSFET? By the way, I always thought battery life didn't really matter. Then my O2 kept running out of juice and I got annoyed. Then I got the V3 portable from Neco. Holy cow...I only need to recharge every couple of months!!! It is absolutely amazing to just not have to think about charging or battery level (both when using or when charging -- due to automatic charging shut-off). I don't know how he does it. It feels like magic to me...

I can't wait to hear impressions of the V3 BOSSFET....

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #164 of 424
I got the portable. I ordered the lower powered battery but I don't mind charging and never really listen more than three or four hours a day. I did upgrade to the AD8610, though. I also ordered ALO Audio's The National. Really curious how the two do in a face off! 

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #165 of 424
Having read the positive impressions in this thread, and seeing the price, I decided to take a gamble and buy the V3 portable with the AD8610 op-amps and Li-ion batteries for use at work. It has just turned up today and I know I should be leaving it to burn in, but I couldn't resist having a listen. 

I've currently got it setup as follows: laptop running JRiver playing FLAC files -> E-DAC -> Neco -> Denon AHD-5000 (with Lawton earpads). Playing the very well produced "Ghosts" album by Monolake, I'm very impressed with the way it sets up an impressive sound-space. Sounds are buzzing pulsing and shimmering around my head. It's also incredibly punchy - I get the distinct impression that it's keeping a very firm grip on the Denon's drivers. I hadn't expected it to sound this good especially at the price. 

So far so good then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back