NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Nov 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #166 of 424
Quote:
I got the portable. I ordered the lower powered battery but I don't mind charging and never really listen more than three or four hours a day. I did upgrade to the AD8610, though. I also ordered ALO Audio's The National. Really curious how the two do in a face off! 

looking forward to hearing you thoughts on both imackler... if you could do it by end of Nov' it would be brilliant.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #167 of 424
Order placed. I used to have the V2 before but this one seems to be an improvement. Should be a good companion for my O2 and ODAC. Neco advised me that it's going to be Wednesday before I see this.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #168 of 424
NECO soundlab's BOSSFET V3 is available at ebay.
I'm not sure how long the link would be valid.
FYI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-V3-high-spec-mosfet-headphone-amp-/140880923045

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #169 of 424
can smbdy put me a link to buy the neco v2

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #170 of 424
Seems currently out of stock. NECO handcrafts his amplifiers so they will be back in stock in a week or so.

Check out his ebay profile and items for sale page.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/neco_soundlab/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

or directly send an ebay message to NECO requesting a link to purchase.

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #172 of 424
I've received my V3 portable couple of days ago. Outstanding and it's easily on par with the O2. Would do a critical comparison with my HE-5LEs and Z1000s in the next week or so.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #173 of 424
I've done the comparison between the V3 and the O2. To keep it short, my thoughts are below:

1. The V3 is smaller. By enough that it matters. The O2 would be a fine size if it had a 1/4" jack (earlier Neco portable amps were in a case the same size as the O2, but included a 1/4" jack), but it doesn't.

2. The V3 has better bass (without the bass boost feature being turned on). It's not an enormous difference compared to the O2, but it is definitely there.

3. The V3 has the optional bass boost feature, and it is well done. This isn't a huge difference, but it's an option you have with the V3 that you don't have with the O2. I find the bass boost useful with some Grados, for example.

4. The V3 has a "cleaner" front panel. The PSU jack is on the back, there is no gain switch, etc. My biggest gripe with the O2 is that the front is extremely busy and annoying when you have all the cables attached. Even the V3 has room for improvement. I wish the input jack were on the back, for example.

5. The V3 (or at least mine) has a better volume pot, I think.

6. My V3 has the upgraded battery, which is amazing. I don't use my V3 "on the go", in the sense of while moving. But I do use it when at my desk at work, and at home when I'm not near one of my dedicated listening stations. So while I don't actually need it to have any battery at all (I am always within reach of an electric outlet), I love not having to worry about the battery or power cables or anything. The battery just lasts forever. I think I've charged it maybe 3 times over a span of several months. It. Just. Keeps. Going. And going. And going. And going.... I also love the auto-shut off feature when charging. This is a huge win for the V3 all around.

7. The V3 can be charged off USB, the O2 cannot. Another big win. USB outlets for charging are all over the place and universal. This is another big win for the V3 in my book.

8. The O2 is MUCH more convenient when it comes to changing gain settings. The whole setting the jumpers thing is old and annoying on the V3, if you ask me. It is high time that Neco make this more convenient (and DIP switches behind a plastic cover over a hole on the amp aren't convenient, either -- I'm talking about a switch or a button).

9. I believe the O2 is cheaper, although I can't remember offhand. With the options, I think the V3 is more expensive by a fair amount. But in my view it is totally worth it.

Best regards,
Adam

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #175 of 424
I ordered a V3 from Neco. He is awesome great guy and he gets things out quickly. It should be here soon, he is shipping it Wednesday.

Thanks for all the info on this site.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #177 of 424
I've just received my v3 from Neco, he's using a new PCB now and you have the choice between having the gain or bass boost as the dip switches available underneath and the other is then available via jumpers inside if that makes sense?

Shelton.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #178 of 424
Quote:
I've just received my v3 from Neco, he's using a new PCB now and you have the choice between having the gain or bass boost as the dip switches available underneath and the other is then available via jumpers inside if that makes sense?

Shelton.

I'm glad Neco is trying to make this product better. I've never needed to change the gain on my V3 but the thought of replacing jumpers makes me...jumpy.

I wonder if you have a new PCB if it should be called V4? Was anything else changed?

If anyone is wondering the E12 sounds remarkably similar to the Soundlab. I think the Soundlab is slightly sweeter in the midrange and maybe the E12's bass hits a little harder, but overall sound signature is very similar.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #179 of 424
I'm not sure if anything else has changed, I don't think so.... I missed out just before xmas so had to wait til now to get my grubby little mitts on one lol

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #180 of 424
Quote:
I'm not sure if anything else has changed, I don't think so.... I missed out just before xmas so had to wait til now to get my grubby little mitts on one lol

Missed out on the E12? I think only like 20+ people have one until the wider release late winter. I really wonder how it will affect the big amp makers (ALO); from my ears, I think guys like Neco will have a hard time keeping pace with the mass production of Fiio. Its a glad and sad thing.

If price were not a consideration, I'd pick the Neco on sound (more details in my previous post), and maybe on soundstage. Form factor and price (if Fiio keeps it at $120), I'd pick the E12. But who really picks price around here!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back