NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Jul 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #121 of 424
FlySweep, you are insatiable,
tongue_smile.gif
Forget opamp rolling,i rather think Neco has already done that stuff for you..
wink.gif

Best you just leave it well alone and enjoy it .I think it could be one of those situations where you change opamps for a couple of months
and find you end up right back where you started.Done that several times now,wont start that again until altzhimers sets in....
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #122 of 424
Hello I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my question, if not could you please point me in the right direction.
I'm looking into buying my first pair of full sized headphones, the sennheiser hd600, and i would like to them amp them with the neco soundlab V3. I'm also looking at the ODAC to go with the V3. What i was wondering is whether i could use the jack out on my hisoundaudio rocoo ba with the HDMS turned on to power the V3 instead. 
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #123 of 424
If what you said is to send the audio signal out of your rocoo to the input of the Neco V3 yes it's possible. It will allow you to be mobile because both of your devices are powered via battery.

If you want to feed the audio signal to the ODAC no it's not possible. The ODAC only has a USB port for input. So a computer or a Laptop would work.

:wink:

Hello I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my question, if not could you please point me in the right direction.
I'm looking into buying my first pair of full sized headphones, the sennheiser hd600, and i would like to them amp them with the neco soundlab V3. I'm also looking at the ODAC to go with the V3. What i was wondering is whether i could use the jack out on my hisoundaudio rocoo ba with the HDMS turned on to power the V3 instead. 
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #125 of 424
Quote:
If what you said is to send the audio signal out of your rocoo to the input of the Neco V3 yes it's possible. It will allow you to be mobile because both of your devices are powered via battery.
If you want to feed the audio signal to the ODAC no it's not possible. The ODAC only has a USB port for input. So a computer or a Laptop would work.
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #127 of 424
How does the V3 pair with low impedance/high sensivity IEM's? 
smile.gif

It pairs quite well.  I use it with my FXD80 all the time & can use the pot quite liberally.  Neco recommended installing a logarithmic pot (opposed to a linear pot) if I was going to use it was high sensitivity IEMS.. so I've got a lot of control over the volume at low levels.. even on high gain.  Yes, you'll perceive having to turn it up further (b/c of the log pot), but the overall out put is the same as a linear pot.

Just to let you know how happy I've been with the V3.. I sold my long held, beloved Arrow 3G (which I still love and openly recommend) in it's favor..

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #128 of 424
Thanks for your impressions, FlySweep! I'm after a portable amp to pair with my Rockbox'ed iPod Classic and my IEM's (GR07, RE-262 and EPH-100). I had my mind set to buy a JDSLabs C421, but then I found this tread, read it, and started wondering... Has anyone here heard/owns both this V3 and the C421 that can tell me how do they compare?

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #129 of 424
Thanks for your impressions, FlySweep! I'm after a portable amp to pair with my Rockbox'ed iPod Classic and my IEM's (GR07, RE-262 and EPH-100). I had my mind set to buy a JDSLabs C421, but then I found this tread, read it, and started wondering... Has anyone here heard/owns both this V3 and the C421 that can tell me how do they compare?

From what I gather.. the c421 is quite similar to the O2 as far as sound & performance is concerned.  So using that to take a crude, relativity-based approach, I found the V3 (mine has the AD8610 opamps) & O2 to perform quite closely.  I love the O2, btw.. a great, very quiet, highly revealing, neutral amp.  The V3 shares much of those characteristics.. but I found it to sound more spacious, slightly more smooth & musical than the O2.

Note that the V3 is bigger in size than the slim c421 (and the c421 has a built in USB DAC).  The V3 is still quite portable, IMO.. and it's built like a freaking tank.  I love the sleek, understated, aluminum housing & large volume pot.  Plus, the battery life (with the lithium batteries) is insane.  I use this amp on a near daily basis.. and have had to charge it, seemingly, only two or three times since it arrived.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #130 of 424
Quote:

Note that the V3 is bigger in size than the slim c421 (and the c421 has a built in USB DAC).  The V3 is still quite portable, IMO.. and it's built like a freaking tank.  I love the sleek, understated, aluminum housing & large volume pot.  Plus, the battery life (with the lithium batteries) is insane.  I use this amp on a near daily basis.. and have had to charge it, seemingly, only two or three times since it arrived.

C421 is amp only.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #131 of 424
question please... I'm looking for a portable amp to partner my Walkman Z1070 (& hopefully 4.Ai's if I can find a way around the horrendous Customs to UK)... I'm on the pre-order list for the new Pico amp out soon but am wondering if this could be the better option... advice if'n you wouldn't mind, cheers.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #134 of 424
FlySweep, I see there's the option of upgrading the opamp's in the V3, but does that mean it allows opamp rolling after buying it? 

I believe so.. but it might be best to check with Neco.. I would have to crack it open and see if the opamps are socketed (for rolling).  The AD8610 really does pair quite beautifully with the V3 though.. let it burn in for a good 100 hours.  It's a bit bright and thin out of the box.. in time, it'll become very neutral, smooth, and have a nice touch of ethereal warmth that's kind of Burson-esque.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #135 of 424
Quote:
I believe so.. but it might be best to check with Neco.. I would have to crack it open and see if the opamps are socketed (for rolling).  The AD8610 really does pair quite beautifully with the V3 though.. let it burn in for a good 100 hours.  It's a bit bright and thin out of the box.. in time, it'll become very neutral, smooth, and have a nice touch of ethereal warmth that's kind of Burson-esque.

From the pictures I've seen so far, they're socketed... But thanks for your answer! I have to decide which option (the C421 with OPA2227 or this V3) is better to pair with my iPod Classic, as I'm looking for a more musical and warmer sound than what the iPod outputs from it's headphone out! Decisions, decisions... 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back