Narrowing down a budget/value comfortable circumaural can for me
Sep 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for the absolute _BEST_ bang for buck can in the budget category .. preferably <$50 (soft limit) but must absolutely be < $100 shipped.

My priorities are the following.

-comfortable, circumaural design 
-easily driven (plugged directly into TV or macbook)
-forgiving, (source material isn't of very high quality, likely compressed mp3s)

These cans likely will never see an amp/dac; but I'd be interested to know if there is any benefit to running them (say, in the future)

Since I'm asking Head-Fi'ers, of course sound quality is of concern; but nobody here asks for a bad sounding can anyway. 

After a little look around, it looks like these three are highly regarded in this price point:

-Superlux HD-668b
-JVC HARX700
-Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

... of course, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thoughts?

Cheerios

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S with these velour pads on.

For music, movies and gaming casual listening; having a warm smooth musical sound, very comfortable, well built and durable, all around a ridiculously good sounding fun headphone to have. I ended up getting two because I wanted to be able to share one pair around to spread the word. They're just so yummy good. Fully recommended. They're $50 shipped at that configuration with the pads. Click my sig for a review on what the pads do to the sound. That said, I definitely feel the HTF600 sounds and feels like a $200 headphone, I would call it a warmer and more musical DT770 by comparison, or a brighter little HD650 by comparison.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 10
Lovely! Thank you!

I was actually reading your incredibly detailed and informative review before I hit "refresh" on this page.

I'll definitely look into em, more specifically - where can I find these guys shipped in canucksland ... 

Quote:
Heya,

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S with these velour pads on.

For music, movies and gaming casual listening; having a warm smooth musical sound, very comfortable, well built and durable, all around a ridiculously good sounding fun headphone to have. I ended up getting two because I wanted to be able to share one pair around to spread the word. They're just so yummy good. Fully recommended. They're $50 shipped at that configuration with the pads. Click my sig for a review on what the pads do to the sound. That said, I definitely feel the HTF600 sounds and feels like a $200 headphone, I would call it a warmer and more musical DT770 by comparison, or a brighter little HD650 by comparison.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Aha your Canadian. Well. There was a few guys that found them for delivery in Canada however the cost of the HP themselves increase to around $60 Canadian. Actually these phones are on sale in the States for $30 and retail for $60..

The velours you can always get later. I would try n track one down, even at $60 Canadian. These are worth getting.Easily. The reason why there is already a following for these headphones is the sheer value of what they are. They don't sound anything like budget cans at all. Shockingly great sounding cans..It is hard to put an actual money value on a can that is this musical and hits them Bass notes the way this can does and add to the fact that the cost on these are comparable to a cheap night of drinking and you got a winner like you won't believe...

I am listening to mine. Worth multiple times more than what they actually cost. Amazing product and one many will discover soon enough.

@Jibbie. Prepare for a nice surprise when you get these..

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
 Amazing product and one many will discover soon enough.

It's really too bad they look so... cheap and terrible. If someone planted the same technology in a different housing and made it look more sleek, the HTF600s would probably sell for a lot more. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Actually you will be surprised at how they look in person. They look clean and when you throw on the velours have a much more expensive look. Beyond that they have a much more expensive sound. Shockingly so actually.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 10
The chrome just makes them look like cheap plastic. The Kickers and Monoprice look a lot better than these Panasonics. Has anyone ever thought of bringing over the drivers over to a new housing or even spraying them black? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
The chrome just makes them look like cheap plastic. The Kickers and Monoprice look a lot better than these Panasonics. Has anyone ever thought of bringing over the drivers over to a new housing or even spraying them black? 
biggrin.gif

Looks are absolutely relative.

I thought the monoprice & kickers looked very cheap.

The Panasonics have higher quality pads, feel a lot more sturdy and better made, and have brushed aluminum backs instead of just rubber with stickers and print.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 10
$60 vs $30 eh? Well, if I can grab em for $30; I'd love to. Any places ship cross border? I actually want to pick up two pairs, a friend needs a set.

Amazon.com wont ship to Canada .... 

Quote:
Aha your Canadian. Well. There was a few guys that found them for delivery in Canada however the cost of the HP themselves increase to around $60 Canadian. Actually these phones are on sale in the States for $30 and retail for $60..

The velours you can always get later. I would try n track one down, even at $60 Canadian. These are worth getting.Easily. The reason why there is already a following for these headphones is the sheer value of what they are. They don't sound anything like budget cans at all. Shockingly great sounding cans..It is hard to put an actual money value on a can that is this musical and hits them Bass notes the way this can does and add to the fact that the cost on these are comparable to a cheap night of drinking and you got a winner like you won't believe...

I am listening to mine. Worth multiple times more than what they actually cost. Amazing product and one many will discover soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back