Narrowed my short-list down to 4 of the common favourites but have some specific questions
Mar 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gamingdave

New Head-Fier
I am looking for advice concerning a new purchase of some closed back headphones. The primary use will be in an office environment during the day, but they will also be used for travelling and possibly some late night gaming or film watching. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 which are my current late night headphones and some Etymotic HF2 which I use out and about. I like both of them but the Senns are obviously useless in any sort of noisy environment and a bit shy on bass (I compensate for this with my AV amp when watching films or gaming), and the HF2s can get a little uncomfortable when used for long periods.

I listen to a range of music including country, rock (all sorts), blues, soul, funk, rap, hip-hop and drum and bass with a bit of classical. I don’t listen to jazz or many female vocalists (with the exception of vintage soul like Motown and Stax) and don’t really listen to any pop and no modern R&B (to me R&B is Dr. Feelgood, Tom Jones and Otis Redding). Some listening is done via high quality Spotify but a great deal is from my own rips which are all either 320kps MP3 or FLAC with the odd high resolution download. At work my source will be my laptop, but I am planning on buying a FiiO E17 or E07k to use as an external DAC and amp. Depending how they compare to my current Sennheisers I will also possibly use them at home for films and games.

I’ll say now I do love my bass, but only in a controlled way. In my home cinema setup I have a 500W Monolith+ sub, but it is well balanced in the system and not used to be a dominate the overall sound, rather just to add really well controlled low frequencies with plenty of punch. I tend to like listening to music as intended but when listening on the move I have been known to slightly boost bass and treble to suit and give a bit more of a “fun” sound. I don’t want bass for the sake of it though and wouldn’t want it to either dominate to the detriment of other frequencies or come at a cost (too boomy or too slow). One thing I do appreciate is a decent soundstage.

Having spent the last couple of weeks looking at a lot of reviews online and reading a lot on here I have narrowed it down to a few choices and would really appreciate any input. Here is my list with a summary from what I can gleam on here, and UK prices.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - £140 – completely rebuildable and would appear to have a fun sound with a punchy bass. Most portable of my shortlist, but on ear and with a small soundstage so not great for some of my genres or all day listening.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S - £125 – very well regarded and frequently recommended. A bigger soundstage than the Sennheiser with a good all round sound but can be uncomfortable for all day listening.

AKG K 550 - £150 – I think these look superb, but they are large so the least portable (but do rotate so are transportable). Huge soundstage and super comfy but a solid seal is really important, I have a relatively large head so hope they would fit well. A very accurate sound though some report having issues with a treble spike and a possibly weak bass (though reposts vary on this).

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 - £130 – soundstage second only to the AKGs but still very good. Comfortable for long session, though can get hot. Mids are a bit recessed and require a long burn in but have a more balanced sound once done.

Price wise there is very little in it, though some came out at a considerably higher cost originally, with a lot of the (very good) reviews for the AKGs being written when they cost nearly twice as much. My gut is leaning me away from the Sennheiser as I do want them to be comfortable for all day listening and I do want a decent soundstage. Out of the remaining 3 the AKG and Beyeres are currently highest in my list.

A few direct questions…

When people talk about the AKGs lacking bass (even after getting a good seal) is this something that can be compensated for at all in EQ? Is it just that they are well balanced when run without any EQ, and that even with a slight boost from an amp or software are they still lacking energy or depth?

Compared to the Beyers is the soundstage of the AKGs that much bigger and are they cleaner and more accurate generally?

Are the Beyers that much more “fun”?

I don’t intend to blast my ears all day, but sometimes I do like to pump up the volume. How do these all fair when driven harder?

If I am going to be using an amp (portable one at that) what are the advantages (and disadvantages) to the 250ohm Beyers over the 80ohms?

Generally speaking, how easy/hard is it to compensate for a particular headphones weaknesses at certain frequencies with a bit of EQ?

Over the last few days I keep flitting between the AKGs and Beyers. I’m sure both will sound great but would really appreciate any input into my comparisons. Obviously there are higher quality phones available, but my budget is set at this time and so comments relative to what they will cost me, not what the original retail price are what I am after. I did post this in the mega thread but it seems to have gone unnoticed. 

Cheers

Dave

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 13
  Hi Dave, I don't have a super informed opinion to give you as the only phone on your list that I have actually heard is the AKG but that sounded really good to me. Do you have the option of giving all of these a good test listen? I just went through kind of the same thing with my main phones, luckily I was able to try a whole bunch of headphones from the AKG 550 up to the HD 800's and LCD-2's. I ended up with the AKG 702 65th anniversaries. Trying out all your contenders with a bunch of music you are super familiar with is really the best solution as well as thinking about how comfortable they are going to be in the long run.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Unfortunately there is nowhere local to try various different headphones, certainly not al within one sitting to compare them directly. Hence my asking in here for comparisons. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 13
I'd honestly not even consider the M50 based on your opening words - they're somewhat boomy, have withdrawn mids, sibilant/harsh highs, no soundstage whatsoever (they very much fit into the "wall of sound" genre of presentation), and aren't comfortable (imho; they clamp and they get hot). I know that I'm very much going "against the grain" by not singing their praises from the highest mountain, but honestly I feel the idea of the M50 is a lot nicer headphone than the actual product. :xf_eek:

The AKGs are more comfortable, and will probably be more in-line with what you want. Personally I found them kind of ho-hum, but they don't do anything terribly offensive; as long as you aren't expecting boom-boom shake-the-room bass (which it doesn't sound like you are). I'd honestly think you could buy them, and just be done right now, but that's not all...

Some other models do come to mind, which may or may not be within your budget:

- Kenwood KH-K1000 (these would be my top pick, but may end up outside of your budget)
- Audio-Technica ATH-A900X (the only note I'd make on these - buy them from somewhere that accepts returns fairly liberally, as their fit is temperamental IME)
- Koss MV1 (these are 250R and may not play nice with some portable devices)
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- Bose AE2

Regarding EQ - there's two prevailing schools of thought on this (and of course I'm generalizing):

- EQ fixes everything.
- EQ destroys everything.

Honestly I'm of the mind that the reality is somewhere in the middle. It depends on the headphones, your tastes, and so on as to whether or not EQ will be a good or bad thing. By and large I would not suggest buying a headphone that you don't like out of the box (and I'll add that burn-in is massively overstated as a "thing" as well), and expecting to "cure" it with EQ. But on the other hand, if you want to tweak the sound a bit, EQ can be a great thing. In general it will be better to "reduce" than to "boost" (and a lot of headphones will just fart and gargle if you get too ham-handed with boost).

Basically I'd look at it like shoes - if they aren't comfortable and suitable right out of the box, don't bother with them. Don't buy an uncomfortable, poorly fitting pair of shoes with the intent to spend hours butchering them into something passable - just look at a different option. :xf_eek:

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the reply, ill look into those others but a quick Google doesn't bring up UK sellers for a lot of them. Prices here seem very different from the US and even doing the usual conversion of swapping $ for £ doesn't hold up consistently. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the reply, ill look into those others but a quick Google doesn't bring up UK sellers for a lot of them.

The Kenwood are a JDM product, at least as far as I know. AudioCubes sells them, and reportedly does ship to the UK.

I'm not really familiar with shopping in the UK, but I know Amazon exists - did a quick search on the others, only linking those that are actually sold BY Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363372996&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-MV1-Professional-Headphones-Collapsable/dp/B000JKD24M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363373045&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-®-AE2-audio-headphones/dp/B00478O0JI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363373075&sr=1-1

Couldn't find the A900X, but I think AudioCubes might sell them as well...while we're browsing, let's take a peek...

Looks like they're good to go...
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=3047 (and they're actually right around fair price in the US on them - normally they run a bit more than retail)
And since we're already there, the Kenwood:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2417

Prices here seem very different from the US and even doing the usual conversion of swapping $ for £ doesn't hold up consistently. 

Indeed. :xf_eek:

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Have you considered Mr Speakers Mad Dogs?  https://mrspeakers.com/ head-fi thread here
They're excellent for the money. If you're converting your quids to dollars, you'll be very pleased that as of today they're less then 200 of your squids. A bargain.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 13
I looked at the Mad Dogs but if I get stung on import it could be another £50. Heading towards double my current budget.

Who knows I could end up finding headphones are another new hobby and end up stepping up the ladder. But for now I need to stick within my current limits.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I looked at the Mad Dogs but if I get stung on import it could be another £50. Heading towards double my current budget.

Who knows I could end up finding headphones are another new hobby and end up stepping up the ladder. But for now I need to stick within my current limits.

He has a pair on Special which are returns, therefore used. If they're used you don't have to pay VAT or import duties. (Im an expat) as long as that's stated on the shipping form.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 13
The AKG's maybe your best gamble, although I've heard that some have fit issue's if they had small heads

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I am looking for advice concerning a new purchase of some closed back headphones. The primary use will be in an office environment during the day, but they will also be used for travelling and possibly some late night gaming or film watching.

I have a pair of AKG K550s and I really like them. I originally got them to use with my MacBook Pro during a recent lengthy trip to South America, but now that I'm back in the UK I find myself using them quite a lot.

I haven't used any of the other headphones you mention, so I cannot comment on them.

The AKG K550s have very smooth treble and an excellent soundstage. You write that your head is bigger than average, and this will be a good fit probably with the K550s. The problems are being reported by those with smaller skulls.

I think the K550 bass is really very powerful, but I am not one for overly emphasised bass, I really like quality in bass, not quantity. I know that there are headphones with more bass than the K550s but I don't want them personally.

I found the isolation with the K550s to be excellent. I have used them on aeroplanes and in working situations in South America and they shut out sound very well and the others around me did not get annoyed by sound from them.

For me the biggest negative about the K550s is that they do not have a detachable cable. If they did I could use them with a short cable and then they'd be pretty good for public transport here in the UK.

However as "transportable" headphones, they really are first class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back