Nakamichi SP-7
Nov 10, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #18 of 97
They're not rare at all. I worked for Nak in the early 90's, and we sold them by the ton. The driver is made by a Japanese company named Primo, who I understand also supplys (or used to supply anyway) Grado. I use them in bed for FM radio. I like them quite a bit.

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 97
Another nice set which should be on the same level(?) and is the same type of design is Sony MDR-CD6. I heard that it has a very good sound quality.

BTW, Does SP just simply stand for "Speaker"?

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 97
unamped SP-7: they were bright, clear, forward, fast; reminded me of GRADO's

amped SP-7: probably close to GRADO sound

unamped HD580: warm, clear, laid back, slow; classic mellow Sennheiser sound

amped HD580: warm, smooth, tighter, more clear, less slow than unamped HD580

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryK
I've never heard of anyone else that owned these!

I owned a couple of pairs of the Naks in the early 90's. Smooth, inoffensive, a bit bland. The drivers were almost identical to the Joe Grado drivers in the SR200's. Same with the black perforated cap that covers the drivers, except the Naks did not have the hole in the middle of the cap. They also used small flat pads, about 1/4 smaller diameter than the original flat Grado pads (but almost identical to the original SR60 flat pads). Very little grip and the phones just perched on your head and would fall off if you looked down.

I recall when I first auditioned the SR200 in 1993, and I looked at the driver pieces and thought "Gee these are the same as the SP-7".

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 97
If you have a tiny phillips screwdriver you can fix that falling off the head thing pretty easily. I should have grabbed a few more pair when I had the chance. I think employee price was about 10 bucks.

Doesn't it bug you guys that (some) Grados (might) use three dollar Japanese (Primo) drivers?

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpdugan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I am also interested in buying a set of SP-7's...so if anyone is interested in selling, please contact me...

Thanks!

I found a set a while ago...glad to have them....

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #24 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't it bug you guys that (some) Grados (might) use three dollar Japanese (Primo) drivers?

I think it's time that we get some good, high-resolution photos in this thread to compare the drivers as closely as possible. Personally I love the idea that they're the same, but the reported sound difference seems to indicate more than just housing differences, great as those can be.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 97
I agree! Let's put this ugly rumour to bed. Is 2 megapixels on macro good enough? More importantly, who is going to get me a new pair of SP-7s if I can't put them back together again?

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #26 of 97
Hi there. As a french stax collector ( and other brands) and mender, I have an odd story to tell. I bought in a garage sale a nak sp-7. the earpads had been replaced by something which came from a DIY store, for copper pipes. the head band was broken and ill glued. and one driver what making a wierd noise. the sound was very unpleasant, with a big raise in the mids and very poor highs. As I was very surprised NAK could have sold so badly singing cans, and as I had read this post before buying them, I decided to try something. I could notice that once removed from the cans, the drivers sounded way better, depending on their placement and angle on the way to my ears ( further was better). I have quite a good deal of headsets, as I take parts from them to repair others. that is what I decided to do with a stax gamma body and the NAK. I put the drivers in the stax housings. They are a bit too thick, so I had to argue with my heat gluer, to make it stand and give it a try. once I was done with the rebuilding, using the original stax pads, I met a WONDERFUL sound ! especially for classical music.On this, it gives one of the best results I have heard, and can be placed in the three of four best headphones of my collection.
the sound is very pleasant on modern music, too, of course. but sooo good on classical !
I really think that these drivers can gain a lot when placed in other housings !

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 97
Hi there. As a french stax collector ( and other brands) and mender, I have an odd story to tell. I bought in a garage sale a nak sp-7. the earpads had been replaced by something which came from a DIY store, for copper pipes. the head band was broken and ill glued. and one driver what making a wierd noise. the sound was very unpleasant, with a big raise in the mids and very poor highs. As I was very surprised NAK could have sold so badly singing cans, and as I had read this post before buying them, I decided to try something. I could notice that once removed from the cans, the drivers sounded way better, depending on their placement and angle on the way to my ears ( further was better). I have quite a good deal of headsets, as I take parts from them to repair others. that is what I decided to do with a stax gamma body and the NAK. I put the drivers in the stax housings. They are a bit too thick, so I had to argue with my heat gluer, to make it stand and give it a try. once I was done with the rebuilding, using the original stax pads, I met a WONDERFUL sound ! especially for classical music.On this, it gives one of the best results I have heard, and can be placed in the three of four best headphones of my collection.
the sound is very pleasant on modern music, too, of course. but sooo good on classical !
I really think that these drivers can gain a lot when placed in other housings !

Those drivers definitely have potential. I bought a couple of pairs and actually liberated the drivers too. I put them in Grado-style wooden housings. Unmodified, they didn't sound that great. I then made them semi-closed. They got better. Then I did a little surgery. I removed the plate over the face of the driver and drilled a hole in the center. I then put them in open cans. Much better....I haven't done much more with them though. Interesting driver...

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #28 of 97
Hi fleasbaby
that's interesting. didn't try to remove the front plate. Maybe I'll try. thanks for the idea. But I am not sure to understand , you made a hole in the plate and replaced it after, is that it ? if not, where did you make the hole ?

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #29 of 97
Hi fleasbaby
that's interesting. didn't try to remove the front plate. Maybe I'll try. thanks for the idea. But I am not sure to understand , you made a hole in the plate and replaced it after, is that it ? if not, where did you make the hole ?

Indeed, I made a hole in the plate then put it back. I put the hole in the absolute center, so the plate looked like the plate on a pair of Grados when I was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back