Nakamichi SP-7
Jan 14, 2005 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

JerryK

New Head-Fier
I've owned a pair for about 15 years, and like them a lot. The foam pads are no longer being made, but the yellow Sennheiser 414 pads work just fine as a replacement. My question is: how do these phones rate sonically? I'm thinking of buying a set of Sennheiser HD-580's, and was wondering if I'll notice some or much difference. I've never heard of anyone else that owned these!

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryK
I've never heard of anyone else that owned these!

...and I never knew Nakamichi made headphones! I believe you have a real rarity on your hands there. Some of the best headphones in the world were designed/built 20 years ago, so not much has really been learned in that time (although the quality of less expensive 'phones has improved quite a bit).

Jan 14, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 97
Quick search brings up: This thread
Quote:

More old school goodness :

STEREOPHILE'S RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS 1993

Headphones & Headphone Accessories

A Class

Grado HP 1 $$$
Koss ESP/950 $$$
Stax SR-Pro 3 *
Stax SR-Lambda Signature *

B Class

AKG K-1000
Stax SR-34 Professional $$$
Stax Gamma
Stax Gamma Professional
Stax ED-1 diffuse-field headphone equalizer *

C Class

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro *
JVC HA-990 Digital Reference $$$
Sennheiser HD540 II *
Sennheiser HD560 II

D Class
Nakamichi SP-7

(Note 580 were B class, and 600 were A class... not that Stereophile is the end all be all of reviews.)

And also judging by the pic used here: Ebay auction. I don't think they will hold a candle to the 580s, be it in sound, build quality, or comfort.

Jan 14, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 97
A search for these on the web does not turn up a whole lot. I did, however, find a a review in Dutch which points out that SR-60 pads fit and lists a new price of 267 Dutch Guilders, which appears to be approximately the same in € (so it wasn't that cheap). Now I'm not exactly good reading Dutch, but sound appears to be good throughout, along with comfort. Further searching turned up a possible resonance problem. Already listed in a 1983 catalogue. Some more similarities to Grado stuff. Not in the same league as '580s, but certainly not bad. Interesting cans, definitely...

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 97
Hi Jerry, and welcome to the money pit ! With SP7 and 580 on nakman's profile, he may be eligible to give short opinion. :sp7smile:

Quote:

My question is: how do these phones rate sonically? I'm thinking of buying a set of Sennheiser HD-580's, and was wondering if I'll notice some or much difference. I've never heard of anyone else that owned these!

Sonically, SP7 sound surprisingly good for 80's phones, but still not as refined as modern cans, and they exhibit some midtreble peak that can get fatiguing after long listening period. If you really love SP7's very forward sound then Grados sr80 etc would be the natural upgrade path: better bass and details, with lesser midtreble peaks.

Going to 580 I noticed immediate all around improvement - they are no ordinary phones ... but more like real speakers. However, this particular laidback sound signature apparently not to everyone's taste. So it would be better if you can try them first. I'd strongly suggest trying HD595, they're more refined than my sr80 - yet with forward presentation relative to previous senn kings 580/600. Imo second best to more expensive hd650.

On comfort, you'll either find senns to be amazingly comfortable, or, have a deadly vice grip compared to 'loose' SP7. Otoh Grados are very much like SP7, they sit on your ear.

Btw radio shack 'large' replacement pads will fit these SP7 very well. I'll find the part numbers if you need it.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
...and I never knew Nakamichi made headphones! I believe you have a real rarity on your hands there.

Nak in fact made some other 'studio' phones and, if listed, sold for even higher price on ebay - they look like 80's revox phones. SP7 are more like its consumer phones.

I just read that headwize thread and wished I haven't edited my post above prior to posting - I mentioned that SP7 drivers and baffle arrangement are quite similar to sr80. So there's somebody else who thought they look alike ! Biggest difference is in the bass area - probably due to sr80's longer cavity, as I noted difference between 225 and lower models is mostly in the housing.

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 97
Nak Man, thanks for all your input! I'd love to find out about those RS foam replacements. My Senn. 414 pads fit nicely, but the bright yellow color is obnoxious. I bought the SP-7's when I was selling high-end audio years ago, and we carried the whole Nak line. (Even got myself a nice Nak lined windbreaker!) I've pretty much decided on getting 580's after hearing my friend's set. I like the open, laid-back sound more than the forward sound of the Nak's and Grados. But different cans for different music, so I'll be happy with both I assume. I'm not crazy about how the Nak's easily slip off my head, but that's a small complaint. They sound pretty damn good. I retired my Senn. 414's after I bought them. Any recommendations on an inexpensive ($150 or less) amp for the 580's? Or do I need one at all? My amp-with phone jack- is a McIntosh MC-502. Thanks again!

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 97
Quote:

I'm not crazy about how the Nak's easily slip off my head, but that's a small complaint.

LOL .. exactly my feeling !

Here is the RS pads, p/n 33-379. You'd need to make a hole in the middle, but I found them tame the HF pretty well, so I leave it like that. HD 414 pads will be too big and not quite aesthetic. =) Unfortunately no RS store in this region as I also need some for sr80.

Quote:

Any recommendations on an inexpensive ($150 or less) amp for the 580's? Or do I need one at all? My amp-with phone jack- is a McIntosh MC-502. Thanks again!

Wow ... great stuff - if I were you I wouldn't care using separate headamps. Your Mac might need some tweak to match 580's impedance better, especially if you hear they're too bassy with not much detail. If you know the diagram, it can be made sound as good as decent off the shelf head amp. Of course some purist headfiers will slam me for that comment, but I have more taste than budget. =)

Very interesting to hear that nak store ! Maybe you can confirm for me about a rumor that only 100 golden zxls were made ? I have this, what, mental disorder, about Nak decks and almost have all the goodies. Unfortunately they need constant TLC to work their best, as 30 mins ago I found out my cr7 refused to auto calibrate.
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Is there much difference between the Senn. 580's and 595's? I can get the 580's for $159 and the 595's for $199.

I find 595 to be very satisfactory for their price, as they resemble top line 650 for much less dough. They have more forward sound and not 'too' laidback, something in between grado / nak and 580, midrange sound fuller and details are better - as well as easier to drive. My only complaint is headband design, somewhat plasticky and don't look as sturdy as 580, although quite rugged. Bass is not as heavy as other top senns but low notes are defintely there plus they sound very neutral.

However, many senn diehards disagree with that opinion, saying they don't sound like traditional senns, a grado wannabe etc etc. If you search the forum for 595 + my nick then you know you're asking the wrong person =) ... it's like repeating myself every now and then, kind of embarassing.
600smile.gif

edit - oops, forgot the bottom line: for additional $40 they're very worth it.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 97
I have a pair of the Nakamichi phones. They seem to me to be lighter in the bass than my Beyer 880's and HD 600's. They also seem to need a bit more juice to drive, but they sound very good. I recently purchased some Grado earpads from Headroom and they work well (but not perfectly) as replacements. The Nakamichi's were a great bargain when I bought them and are still nice headphones.

Jan 15, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 97
Robert...thanks for the info on Grado pads! I think I'll try RS first, since the pads are only $2.99, then check Grado down the line. And NakMan, I think I'll see if my local Sennheiser dealer (Sennheiser headquarters are actually located here in Connecticut!) has the 580's and 595's for me to compare. I'll hold off on researching amps until I hear how they sound with my McIntosh, which powers the SP-7's nicely!

Not sure what "golden zxls" are...explain and I'll see if my friends with more Nak experience might know. I bought the SP-7's because at the time it was the only Nak product I could afford, even AFTER the employee discount. I now have a CR-1a tape deck, which I found used for $30 a few years back.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 97
600smile.gif

I've had my SP-7's for ever, or so it seems. I use them for my digital piano, as well as listening to music in bed. They don't have the bass oomph as the Grados I just test drove today (60's, 80's, and 125's), but since I'm in process of upgrading my portable cans, no money for "at home" cans right now.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 97
Either MetalManCPA or JerryK, would you be interested in selling your SP-7's?

The headband broke on mine and they're pretty hard to find.

FYI MetalMan I have the SR-80s for portable and SR-125s for home. Best I could find for anywhere near the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back