Nakamichi SP-7
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #92 of 97
probably a marketing mishap, DH-40 / HP-1000 (DH-57) has an obscure thing going for it under the hood, distancing mainstream dynamic design

*I DON'T RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE, it is unwise to mess with sensitive gear:
UYSCm4C.jpg

hKERU1C.jpg

including a creased dome (face), a ring magnet (core), and a (rear) "pistonic" damper (vibrating under extreme, otherwise blow-up volumes).

Without said piston, he described had less "HP 1000 mojo" gentleness, and more Grado harshness.
Can't explain but, above user just, shoved the part back in, and told me recovered all specifications.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #94 of 97
hello there. News...
There was a problem, with the plastics parts of the headphones touching my ears after a while, and it hurts a bit. Unpleasant. So, I solved this issue by removing the original plastic grid of the new chinese body, and by adding a piece of foam under the pad, just at the place where the drivers are the closest to the ear. It is perfect, now. the grid was very easy to remove with a wire cutter, without needing to dismentle the cups.
I then could remove the rings I had added before.
the only difficult point is to place the pads back, as they are much smaller in size originally, and one needs patience. also, as these specific pads are made of 3 different levels of foam to get the best sound possible, and as I had to stretch them a lot for them to fit the cups, these levels are, from place to place, separating. I had to glue them back with "pattex extreme repair" glue ( the best I know for that), using a dentstick to fill the gaps and a clothes pin to reassemble them. The result is fonctionnal, but not as neat as if the headphones came from Sony. Lol.
I am using these heaphones all the time now, and nothing comes to compare to them. I made a second pair that I use in my second recording studio. nothing can be better for work and pleasure

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #95 of 97
also, I tried something else : removed the pistons, and the paper like pieces that cover the holes in the cups, in front of the ears, to see what it could change. With the papers, without them, ( they are easlily removable and repositionnable) with the piston or without, combining both ort not, the sound get wierd and I went back to my original configuration.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #96 of 97
That's what puzzles me, how can the "bass diffusing-back radiator" be separated and shoved back in without any loss?

My guess is that it just catches air passively (but haphazardly?) & isn't bonded to the diaphragm in any (sensical) way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back