Nakamichi SP-7
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 97
i succeded in removing the black face and noticed that then, the highs were lower and not as detailed. so I put the face back.

Try drilling a hole in the solid section in the center of the black face...

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #48 of 97
...it should (if my experience matches yours) bring back those highs you lost removing the face completely, and get rid of the need to keep them in a semi-closed cup. I forget the diameter drill bit I used, but it was slightly wider than the other holes already in the face.

Don't forget to carefully peel off the black mesh first as well. You can glue it back using a children's glue stick.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #49 of 97
ok thanks for yout explaination. I fear to make a hole in the rest od the driver... I am not sure of myself on this point, and as these naks are so rare, I Think I will not do it. or I will wait to have drunk enough good wine !!! but it rarely happens

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #50 of 97
ok thanks for yout explaination. I fear to make a hole in the rest od the driver... I am not sure of myself on this point, and as these naks are so rare, I Think I will not do it. or I will wait to have drunk enough good wine !!! but it rarely happens

LOL...I don't blame you! Was nervous too :). Enjoy them in their stock form! They're still great that way!

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #52 of 97
BTW, as we are on a stax-nakamichi page, I think I can say what I lately discovered : I tried to turn a stax sr-3 to pros ( 5 pins instead of 6 and pro votage. For a few minutes, the soudn was astounding and surpassing the srx III pro.. and then It turned bad and ill balanced. As I had three diifferent sr3, I dismenteled two of them, ( I will sell the last shortly on head fi with a good deal of other ones, coming from my collection). and I understood that for this one, the highr voltgae could not work, and destroyed the membranes. which never occured with the srx norm bias.
Also, I could notice that there were a least two types of crivers for the sr-3 ( not talking about the sr-3 new, that i don't own). the first type, that is probbaly the oldest, has an aluminium membrane for the sound. and the newer one has a mylar membrane. just like in the srx. the aluminium membrane is sounding a bit poorer than the mylar. I made differents tests, hanged the destroyed membrane, and finally made the sr3 work on the normal bias of my amp. the sound is very nice, but not as clear in the highs as the srx, and it is bassier than the srx. I don't know if anyone had tried this before on the sr3, to use it on pro bias, but it is not to be done.
with the aluminium membrane, it didin't kill them nor damage them in any way, but I had a very strong electronic and continuous noise if plugging it in the pro bias.

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #56 of 97
another point. in a previous page of this post, one can read this listing

STEREOPHILE'S RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS 1993

Headphones & Headphone Accessories

A Class

Grado HP 1 $$$
Koss ESP/950 $$$
Stax SR-Pro 3 *
Stax SR-Lambda Signature *

B Class

AKG K-1000
Stax SR-34 Professional $$$
Stax Gamma
Stax Gamma Professional
Stax ED-1 diffuse-field headphone equalizer *

C Class

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro *
JVC HA-990 Digital Reference $$$
Sennheiser HD540 II *
Sennheiser HD560 II

D Class
Nakamichi SP-7
--------------
apart form the fact that I am not fond at all of listings that are presented as universal, because, happily, we all have personnal tastes, I hadent' noticed something that is clearly an error : there is no such thing as a Stax SR-Pro 3. there is sr-3, which is normal bias and not pro, and I just wrote something yesterday about the test to turn it to pro, which is impossible. the sound of the sr3 is interesting, especially with the dedicated energiser. but will never be in the A, B or C classes. the stax srx-mkIII exists in normal bias mainly, and is really darn hard to find in pro version. But it can be turned to pro version. I never heard the grado HP1 so I cannot say for the first rank of the listing. But what I can say is that the srx-markIII pro is far better to my ears than the koss esp 950 and lambda whatever the model. and there is one model really missing in this list : the lambda pro spirit, which was delivered only in japan and which I have read somewhere else that it is a good start for who wants a basic lambda. but to my ears, is it better than the signature, more neutral, and fitting a monitoring use as well as a hifi listening use.
the akg k340 is really missing too in the first or second rank.
my personnal choice, about the nak sp-7, would be to put it in the first rank, just below the stax sr-x mkIII pro.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #58 of 97
weel, finally, I did it ! without drinking...
not so eady to do, but it works.
so, as i have two sp7, i made the before and after test
the center hole gives clearer and stronger highs and mids. very pleasant !!!
didn't compare yet with ths srs, but I will.
still waiting for the new pads...

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #59 of 97
Well, I just compared the nak-sp7 with the added hole and the stax srx mKIII turned to pro. The nak is better ! bass heavier and very comparable high and mids. I would say "crunchier" in the bass, too.
that's quite unbelievable. but the sound tells the verdict.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #60 of 97
I just received the pads, which ar grado-like. I prefer to keep thos I had before, because putting the new pads makes highs much brighter and removes a lot of bass. It much more well balanced with simple thin pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back