NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Apr 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #976 of 3,345
So I just got the NAD HP50's and my thoughts so far as it pertains to what I have used so far (Harmon Kardon CL, HD25-1 II, Momentum On-Ears, Bose IE2, Etymotics HF5) in my continued search for comfortable portable noise isolating headphones:

1) The cables are really short.  Even from my close position to my work laptop to my headphones I am constantly accidentally yanking on the cables.  Fortunately I am getting an extension cable to solve this issue but compared to my HD25-1's generous cable length it is sort of annoying I have to resort to that for an extra foot or two.

2) The isolation is about the same or slightly worse then the HD25-1's which is a shame I was really hoping the Over-Ear form factor of these headphones would isolate better.  I feel like with slightly more head clamp this would be a lot better in my completely unscientific study of applying slight pressure to the ear cups while listening to music.  Which also boosted the bass's boominess I found.

3) I do find them comfortable.  It took me a bit to figure out the proper headband placement (Which is really a weird and awkward design choice) to not find it noticeably annoying.  But I my ears apparently fit quite comfortably and no pressure against the ear pad that I notice though it does touch it slightly but not enough to be annoying.  My HD25-1's start to get annoying after a few hours something I have not had happen with these yet.

4) Sound-wise I think it really comes down to what sort of music you listen to.  I really like my classical music and movie soundtracks.  On the HP50 I do feel classical sounds much more defined.  The brass and horns sound just right and in your face like its supposed to without the bass overwhelming the overall sound.  But when I get to movie soundtracks some songs really are much about the bass and I find those songs sound better on my HD25-1's.  For the few things I listen to with vocals I find it does sound a lot better on my HD50's then the HD25-1's.

Overall these are just my general opinions and are no way of that of the more skilled people on this forum who have much better hearing then me.  But I wanted to post what I found in case some people had the same questions.

I really like them.  And they are portable for me about or slightly more portable then my HD25-1's since this can fold in they fit in my tiny bag slightly better then the HD25-1's do.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #977 of 3,345
Like the sound of these but the fit....  It isn't the earcups, although they are a bit odd.  The band hits the crown of my head and caused headaches after only a short while.  If the band was more head shaped, instead of being nearly flat, they may have distributed the weight more evenly over the head. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #978 of 3,345
Ok, so I read the whole thread... I have mine on the way

So far, the consensus is they sound from great to amazing/best closed hp ever....

But the look of it when wearing them seem to be the biggest letdown and it affects comfort to some. Is this something that could be modded? can you buy like custom headbands so one could attach the drivers to that?  

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #979 of 3,345
Someone did post a headband mod though where it is I forget. And I am on my ipad ATM so a bit slower to navigate. But it's there. It's very hit or miss it seems I angle mine on my head that makes them pretty comfy.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #980 of 3,345
eliwankenobi said:

So far, the consensus is they sound from great to amazing/best closed hp ever....

Would not go that far,though you maybe said that last part in jest to the enthusiastic owners.
They are a good contrast to a well modded pair of T50RP's which outgun them on various things IMO as far as closed headphones go in that price range....

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #981 of 3,345
Yes the HP50s are good, but my opinion is that they are good not particularly by one or two attributes. When I purchased the HP 50s, I had them compared with AKG K550, Momentum, V-Moda M100, and I found each had one or two things (i.e. M100's bass) better than HP50s. However after several rounds of auditing the HP50s won me over by its overall imaging. Subconsciously I found them made music more coherent, and they do offer a better neutrality (better than Momentum IMO). They can handle all music in my library with little effort, and for portable use they sound very nice directly from my HTC One. Not like my other cans (for example ATH EW9), I do not need to built a dedicated playlist for them.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #983 of 3,345
However after several rounds of auditing the HP50s won me over by its overall imaging. Subconsciously I found them made music more coherent, and they do offer a better neutrality (better than Momentum IMO). They can handle all music in my library with little effort, and for portable use they sound very nice directly from my HTC One. Not like my other cans (for example ATH EW9), I do not need to built a dedicated playlist for them.

+yes.
Forgiving of mastering quality variation, smooth and dark but detailed IMO....That is a thing I found with planar cans they show up brilliant and flat/dull mastering so, so much.

May 1, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #984 of 3,345
After having the HP50's for 1 week I'm very happy with them. They sound amazing for their price.
Now I'm waiting for my LD I+ tube amp to arrive and a HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Hopefully they will all be a good match together.

May 1, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #985 of 3,345
  After having the HP50's for 1 week I'm very happy with them. They sound amazing for their price.
Now I'm waiting for my LD I+ tube amp to arrive and a HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Hopefully they will all be a good match together.

HP50 good out the Sabre alone, as it pairs well with cans that are not overly-bright.

May 1, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #986 of 3,345
HP50 good out the Sabre alone, as it pairs well with cans that are not overly-bright.

I didn't like hp50 on sabre DACs. Theses chips are too clear, too analytic, and with our great cans they make music enjoyment almost impossible. You hear too much details. Details, separate sounds, recording bugs. But not music itself.

May 1, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #987 of 3,345
I didn't like hp50 on sabre DACs. Theses chips are too clear, too analytic, and with our great cans they make music enjoyment almost impossible. You hear too much details. Details, separate sounds, recording bugs. But not music itself.

Yep, I found that with my planar cans + Sabre U2 but with 50's with the less detail...it was 'OK' as a mobile coffee shop DAC but I understand what you are saying about their clinical slant (ES9023 chips)

May 1, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #988 of 3,345
Oh oh, I have my HP50s on the way to pair with my GeekOut450.... Another Sabre Dac/amp... Es9018-2km. We'll see when it gets here

May 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #989 of 3,345
The flat cable seems cheesy for a headphone at this price. I can understand the one with the iPod controls being thin & short for portable use, but not the other for the home. Can anyone recommend a cable that's a little longer and nicer-looking? I don't want a high-end tweak cable, just something decent. And preferably with a right-angle on one end, like the stock cable. Monoprice doesn't seem to have anything appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back