NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Apr 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #946 of 3,345
Hi Everyone,
Well I pulled the trigger on these after having some folks look at both the momentum and these. The reviews about the sound convinced me finally I am a big midrange and soundstage fan. I hope the treble is not too roled off for my taste and that i will be able to find a shoulder bag that fits these.
Hopefully have these tomorrow to give them a spin!
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #947 of 3,345
Hello once more,
I need a dac/amp to pair with the hp50. I use my iphone when on the go and at home i have the audioengine a5+ speakers. So i need a small dac/amp to use with laptop and iphone. I was thinking about th emeridian explorer v2. That is portable and can work with ios albeit with apowered usb hub. The headphone output is however 5 ohm so that seems a bit high.
Are there any other recommendations htat work with laptop/ios that have a headphone output and lineout and have lower ohm headphone out?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #948 of 3,345
You might look at a FiiO product, not sure which one. Do you need a DAC? If it is portable use, how do you plan to override the DAC in your DAP? Not sure you can, but I could be wrong.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #950 of 3,345
Hi,
Well my nad hp50 arrived today, pretty quick from denmark warehouse.
The headphone is actually not as large as i feared it might be. Although the cups dont really want to stay folded and the cable is flimsier than i thought it would be and i dont like that you dont get a tactical click when you volume up or down.
The sound is quite nice albeit a bit thinner then i thought it would be, i thought treble might be too muted for me but it i snot. Bass is also quite good.
Soundstage is very nice for a closed can.
I think these are just more neutral then what i am used to.
These have ample volume with y iphone 4.
I am a bit afraid of how much these might leak sound though. I dont listen at that loud volumes but hwen i have these in my hands with music playing i still can hear it. I will have to ask someone to listen for it when i have these on my head.
I am still curious how i might like the momentums overears so i might have to get these to compare but i would have to send one of them back.
Perhaps the momentums sound would be a bit warmer/fuller more exciting?
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #951 of 3,345

I am a bit afraid of how much these might leak sound though. I dont listen at that loud volumes but hwen i have these in my hands with music playing i still can hear it. I will have to ask someone to listen for it when i have these on my head.

Do you mean you're just holding them in your hands? If you want to get an idea of leakage, cover the cups with your hands, that's how I usually do it. When I've done that with my HP50s I find the leakage to be quite low, no way would it disturb anybody unless you had it stupidly loud.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #952 of 3,345
Hi,
The headphone is actually not as large as i feared it might be. Although the cups dont really want to stay folded and the cable is flimsier than i thought it would be and i dont like that you dont get a tactical click when you volume up or down.
The sound is quite nice albeit a bit thinner then i thought it would be, i thought treble might be too muted for me but it i snot. Bass is also quite good.
I am still curious how i might like the momentums overears so i might have to get these to compare but i would have to send one of them back.
Greetings, Anouk,

I would say that they leak quite well. Because of their rectangular shape and a leakage hole behind earlobes
But it also depends on your volume settings lol

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #954 of 3,345
Had these for almost a week now and I easily find these as my favorite sounding closed headphones.

I prefer them to: Mad Dogs, Momentum, SRH1540, Z1000, HP100, K550, D2000, M50X... just to name a few.

Unfortunately, I don't like the headband or the clamping pressure, so I can't keep these awesome cans.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #955 of 3,345
  Need suggestions or tips on stretching headband to reduce clamping force on phones.

Thank you

Had these for almost a week now and I easily find these as my favorite sounding closed headphones.

I prefer them to: Mad Dogs, Momentum, SRH1540, Z1000, HP100, K550, D2000, M50X... just to name a few.

Unfortunately, I don't like the headband or the clamping pressure, so I can't keep these awesome cans.

I think one user suggested putting your thumbs at the top of the headband and moving them along the headband towards the cups, as you feel the headband metal go from thick to thinner, that is the point you slowly bend up the way to ease the clamping.... please search the thread though to get the exact instruction on bending them out the way so you don't break them.

LCD-2 users also place books between their Audeze cans to stretch out the headband, but not sure that would be any better than the above method on NAD's.
I don't get the clamp, but the annoying pressure on the crown of my head after 15 mins.
Anyway, after A|B'ing them with my own modded Fostex T50RP they have their own strengths....I like the overall darkness and smoothness of them which should add up to marathon listening sessions if it were not for the wonky headband.
I guess NAD will not act on user feedback on this headband unlike HiFiMAN which has amended almost every problematic detail on the new line of cans....though this is their first released can....the sound signature is great.

Yes, some find it OK, but a lot so far do not like the aesthetics/shape/clamping pressure of that headband......
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #956 of 3,345

I think one user suggested putting your thumbs at the top of the headband and moving them along the headband towards the cups, as you feel the headband metal go from thick to thinner, that is the point you slowly bend up the way to ease the clamping.... please search the thread though to get the exact instruction on bending them out the way so you don't break them.

LCD-2 users also place books between their Audeze cans to stretch out the headband, but not sure that would be any better than the above method on NAD's.
I don't get the clamp, but the annoying pressure on the crown of my head after 15 mins.
Anyway, after A|B'ing them with my own modded Fostex T50RP they have their own strengths....I like the overall darkness and smoothness of them which should add up to marathon listening sessions if it were not for the wonky headband.
I guess NAD will not act on user feedback on this headband unlike HiFiMAN which has amended almost every problematic detail on the new line of cans....though this is their first released can....the sound signature is great.

Yes, some find it OK, but a lot so far do not like the aesthetics/shape/clamping pressure of that headband......
frown.gif

I am really glad I don't have those issues and am sorry for you guys, because I can listen for hours. I used to feel the top of the head pressure but I lift the headband some notches and have no issue.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #957 of 3,345
Hi Anouk,

You should also consider getting a Centrance DACPort. I have one and it pairs really well with HP50. It has a 10 ohm output impedance but it has 0 problem driving the HP50.

Hello once more,
I need a dac/amp to pair with the hp50. I use my iphone when on the go and at home i have the audioengine a5+ speakers. So i need a small dac/amp to use with laptop and iphone. I was thinking about th emeridian explorer v2. That is portable and can work with ios albeit with apowered usb hub. The headphone output is however 5 ohm so that seems a bit high.
Are there any other recommendations htat work with laptop/ios that have a headphone output and lineout and have lower ohm headphone out?
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #958 of 3,345
Had mine for a week now and loving every minute I have them on. I must have a small head as they fit well with no major clamping, though the head band can be a bit annoying every now and then.

I actually prefer them to my Shure SE846's sound-wise as I can hear more detail in the songs, no matter what I play. Loving the warm sound too, I think Nad have nailed that room sound. Just waiting on my Sony NW-ZX1 to arrive now, I hope they make a good match.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #959 of 3,345
  Hi,
Greetings, Anouk,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/706770/nad-hp50s-vs-momentums-a-short-review-comparison

As for DAC/amp - you dont really one.  They are easy to drive and will sound just fine off an iPod Touch.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #960 of 3,345
The HP50's drive and sound very,very good off even a simple ClipZip ! Which is quite nice in this day of monster mobile rigs to get high quality sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back