NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Apr 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #961 of 3,345
  The HP50's drive and sound very,very good off even a simple ClipZip ! Which is quite nice in this day of monster mobile rigs to get high quality sound...

Agreed and also are driven very well from my X3 as well as my ClipZip

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #962 of 3,345
Got the HP50 headphones yesterday and they are amazing. I was also looking at getting the Momentums, but the fit was too small. I'm happy to have moved past the Momentums and found these instead!

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #963 of 3,345
Got the HP50 headphones yesterday and they are amazing. I was also looking at getting the Momentums, but the fit was too small. I'm happy to have moved past the Momentums and found these instead!

Congrats... Enjoy them

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #964 of 3,345
I am deciding between the NAD VISO HP50 and the V Moda m100. They both look really promising. I listen to mostly hard rock, symphonic metal, new age orchestral, and electronic dance and trance. I have medium size ears, but a pretty large head (I have to put a pair of bose oe2 on the largest setting to fit my head). Has anyone tried both of these headphones and prefer one over the other, or does it really just come down to what type of music you listen to?

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #965 of 3,345
I tried the HP50. And the headband presses a bit on top of my head. Even demoing it in store felt unfcomfortable after 20 minutes.

When looking at the headphone the top of the headband looks pretty flat compared with other headphones. Is this normal?

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #966 of 3,345
  I tried the HP50. And the headband presses a bit on top of my head. Even demoing it in store felt unfcomfortable after 20 minutes.

When looking at the headphone the top of the headband looks pretty flat compared with other headphones. Is this normal?

Yes...I move the headband up a couple of clicks and have no issue

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #967 of 3,345
I picked up a a pair of the NAD's after reading all these awesome reviews on it. I took them home and was very surprised at the sound being produced from this $300 headphone.
I own a pair or Audezies and Beyerdynamics. It was very nice to find an above average sounding headphone for under $1000.00.
I was getting worried that anything decent in the headphone world was turning into a $2000 game. Thanks NAD for not gouging us.
That being said....I had to return my first pair because the volume on the headphone suddenly dropped to about 1/3 of what it was supposed to be. The store said they have never had this issue. They gave me a brand new pair and I have been listening to them of past 2 days.
I'm having a bit of a comfort issue with them. The head band tends to slip back and I feel like I'm constantly adjusting. After raising the headband/ear pad distance, they are a bit more comfy, but not fantastic.
The sound of these headphone certainly beat the fit for me.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #968 of 3,345
If you are looking for a very characteristic pair of headphones with lots of bass-boosting, then go for the M100s. If you want an all-rounder that stays on the bringe between color and neutrality, then get the NAD VISO HP 50. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #969 of 3,345

http://www.head-fi.org/t/706770/nad-hp50s-vs-momentums-a-short-review-comparison

As for DAC/amp - you dont really one.  They are easy to drive and will sound just fine off an iPod Touch.

I have been considering an amp as well to be paired with my iPod Classic 7th gen.  In terms of driving these headphones, I am completely satisfied with their quality and loudness directly out of the HO on the iPod. Nevertheless, I know that the amp plays a greater role than simply making the audio "louder" and am very interested in the prospect of using an amp like the C&C BH2 with a LOD.  It is a bit humorous, but these cans sound SO good directly out the iPod I almost can't imagine them sounding dramatically better with an amp upgrade.  What I do know is that the more neutral the source the better the HP50's sound.  I can't stand how an adjusted EQ sounds with these cans as it throws off the very carefully crafted frequency balance of "Room Feel" in an almost exclusively negative way.

For me, the question of amping regards quality of sound, not quantity of sound.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #970 of 3,345

I have been considering an amp as well to be paired with my iPod Classic 7th gen.  In terms of driving these headphones, I am completely satisfied with their quality and loudness directly out of the HO on the iPod. Nevertheless, I know that the amp plays a greater role than simply making the audio "louder" and am very interested in the prospect of using an amp like the C&C BH2 with a LOD.  It is a bit humorous, but these cans sound SO good directly out the iPod I almost can't imagine them sounding dramatically better with an amp upgrade.  What I do know is that the more neutral the source the better the HP50's sound.  I can't stand how an adjusted EQ sounds with these cans as it throws off the very carefully crafted frequency balance of "Room Feel" in an almost exclusively negative way.

I think these cans are 30mWatts max (!) so not sure how much benefit/volume control play you would get from a mobile amp in this case....My easy to drive other cans are around 200mWatts max input with a similar ohm rating.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #971 of 3,345
It makes you wonder how in the world these headphones sound as good and articulate as they do considering the fact that they are basically incapable of having a high damping factor when amped.  
blink.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #972 of 3,345
I run mine from my Xperia Z1 and I want not for more amping. Not only do they sound great right out of the phone, but they're efficient (more-so than my PX100ii) they can go loud enough for me. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #973 of 3,345
Perhaps NAD has utilized some technical advancements similar to the "Tesla" driver structure found in the flagship Beyerdynamic HP's to dramatically increase sensitivity.
confused_face_2.gif
  It's definitely a impressive set of drivers.  However, my question still goes unresolved as to whether or not I could have an increase in overall SQ (Better resolution, wider soundstage/more air, etc) by circumventing the default amp in my DAP and using higher quality electronics in an external amp.

Can someone who has a decent amp attest to any SQ differences between setups (with volume levels having been equalized)? 

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #975 of 3,345

Some amps do affect sound in a big way - eg, a single-ended-triode amplifier (yum!!).   Leaving aside such amps which are deliberately designed for euphonic characteristics, an amp's job really is to only make the audio louder.      

IMO, differences between suitable solid state amplifiers (ie, those with appropriate output impedancy and suitable current/voltage capabilities), especially those in the price range you are talking about - where you arent going to get a full Class-A, zero-feedback discrete design - are very, very minor indeed.     The iPod amps arent the most powerful but within their power range, they are very very good (again, IMO).    I can notice a difference in slam and a quieter noise floor ("black background") with my higher-end portable amps compared to my less expensive ones, but beyond that, I dont really hear any difference that i can swear to, to be honest.   YMMV, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back