NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Apr 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #121 of 1,623
Yeah, pretty much in agreement with you Mcullinan. It really digs down deep into those details bringing every last bit to the table. Excellent imaging and separation.
The bass is not enhanced in any way, so I find it's not as great of a match for brighter/thinner cans (ie HD800) but really brings the darker more laid back cans (ie LCD2) up to a whole new level.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #122 of 1,623

Quote:
So it's in my main system... A couple comparisons to the Bryston.. Bryston is warmer sounding and more laid back. I'd say the Bryston is still a pretty neutral sounding Dac though. The Nad is not forward sounding either. The Nad makes instruments sound far more real, especially piano. The Nad has less bass, more detail and control than the Bryston. I notice great separation between left and right. Mids are nice. I think you notice more because their is less bass bloom. It doesn't sound thin, but is very different in presentation. The Dac is very fast and captures a ridiculous amount of detail, it's still musical though.
This is just listening to it as a Dac, without the pre function.

These observations are in line with mine. Except that I think the bass is accurate and controlled, not lacking in any way. I have found that these attributes only improve when used as pre.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #124 of 1,623
Obzilla,

How is the comparo between the M51 and the DAC-2 coming? I'm thinking about those two so I"d like to hear your thoughts since you have them both.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #125 of 1,623

Quote:
Obzilla,
How is the comparo between the M51 and the DAC-2 coming? I'm thinking about those two so I"d like to hear your thoughts since you have them both.

I no longer have the W4S. I had 3 DACs for a short period, and while the DAC2 is a great DAC that plays out of it's price range... I wound up preferring the Calyx and NAD. 

If you can spring the extra cash for the M51, I think the difference is worth it. If $1,500 is the top of your budget, I think the W4S will not disappoint you.

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #126 of 1,623

Quote:
Obzilla,

I no longer have the W4S. I had 3 DACs for a short period, and while the DAC2 is a great DAC that plays out of it's price range... I wound up preferring the Calyx and NAD. 

If you can spring the extra cash for the M51, I think the difference is worth it. If $1,500 is the top of your budget, I think the W4S will not disappoint you.

Thanks for the reply. $500 is no deal breaker at all, I was just interested in the sonic qualities of the two. If the NAD is really superior it's a no brainier. If not I'll stick with the W4S. Thanks again and look forward to hearing more impressions of the M51!

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #128 of 1,623

Quote:
Any comparisons to the Eximus DP1?

-Daniel

No comparisons from me anyways, as I haven't heard it. It was on my short list though. I wound up excluding it because of it's price, and the fact that I wanted every penny to go to the DAC and not a combo box. I already have some nice amps so it didn't make sense for me to put money into something with an amp.

I would certainly be interested in hearing comparisons though (DAC vs DAC via a separate amp for both) if anyone has access to both. I've read lots of good things about it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #130 of 1,623
I'd like to hear some comparisons too.

Playing 192k files on Nad, screen says 96k. What do you think is it wrong? Going squeezebox touch out coax to Nad?
Thanks!
Mike
Sample rate in sb touch browser says 192/24.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #131 of 1,623
Btw the Dac is going back on Tuesday. There is something wrong with the remote function. All remote buttons work on startup. Then about a half hour later if you shut it off, the on from remote no longer works. Then about an hour in, all remote functions stop working. It was there last one so I will be waiting to get a new one whenever they come out again. Awesome Dac. Seems to do everything right, except remote. Lol.. Blows away the Bryston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back