NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
May 1, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #152 of 1,623
"mcullinan" - What source were you using for USB and what software? The NAD runs on USB 2 and needs a download from NAD unless your source also runs USB2 in which case it will run OK "out of the box"

May 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #153 of 1,623
hmm... The source is the Squeezebox Touch. Is that USB 2? It seemed to link to the NAD fine. On the NAD it said 192K USB, there was a setting for enhanced digital output (select NAD M51), the SB Touch restarts but no sound came out. My NAD went back (remote issues) and am waiting to get a new one, whenever the next round comes out, middle of May I hope.

This is really a spectacular unit, though I haven't heard any of the new top DACs. Sophisticated, transparent, detailed and musical. Very impressed.

May 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #154 of 1,623
Unfortuntately we don't have a Squeezebox here to try it out with - maybe an idea to check with tech support at Logitech. We've sold quite a few M51's and no issues with so far with USB....has worked with whatever has been thrown at it (after software download in some cases) . Is the Squeezebox connected directly to the M51? Are you UK based - if you are reasonably local we might be able to come round with a dem model to test your set-up

Regarding your comments about it being a "spectacular" unit - we sell a wide range of DACS some costing far more than the M51 and for the money it is quite exceptional....currently using one in my home set-up and it's going to be there a long time!

Actually just looked this up, might be helpful: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

May 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #155 of 1,623
Thanks! No I am in the US. I will do a fresh install in the future
And see if that does the trick. I will also read a little more on the Squeezebox forum, though I skimmed through most of it.

If anyone with a Squeezebox gets the nad to work please post your success!

May 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #156 of 1,623
Quote:
Unfortuntately we don't have a Squeezebox here to try it out with - maybe an idea to check with tech support at Logitech. We've sold quite a few M51's and no issues with so far with USB....has worked with whatever has been thrown at it (after software download in some cases) . Is the Squeezebox connected directly to the M51? Are you UK based - if you are reasonably local we might be able to come round with a dem model to test your set-up

Regarding your comments about it being a "spectacular" unit - we sell a wide range of DACS some costing far more than the M51 and for the money it is quite exceptional....currently using one in my home set-up and it's going to be there a long time!

Actually just looked this up, might be helpful: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

Have you guys attempted to use HDMI via either a Mac or a PC?
Any success?

May 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #158 of 1,623
Quote:
Not yet, our Mac Mini has DVI as opposed to HDMI....will see if we can borrow something to test it.

That would be great. Any computer audio over hdmi would be great to know the results.
Mine is hard to get connected and receiving a signal, and once it does the DAC continues playing, but is basically bricked unless I manually shut the power off on the back of the unit.

NAD tech support has been pathetic. The lady answering questions on their website clearly doesn't understand, and her only response is that she thinks "it's a software issue". On the DAC? On the mac? Where what how? None of that, and no responses to specifics.

Unfortunately I only have the mac mini at the moment to test with, so I would love to hear from others.

May 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #159 of 1,623
Not for nothing.. but I called them about my remote issues.. and they were unhelpful and unwilling to really troubleshoot and I had to go back to the dealer who was way more helpful, though the problem persisted.

Service is key! If you run a business. Its service! And cool tech, but... 

May 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #161 of 1,623
After going through tests between the Wadia 121 DAC and NAD M51 both direct and though preamp, I can quite easily affirm the digital volume control provided by the M51 as the better of two. The gap between the two products actually widened when going direct as the NAD seems to do no harm to high resolution files when attenuated. The Wadia does seem to eventually truncate at an earlier point and doesn't do as well as the volume goes down.

May 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #162 of 1,623
Regarding HDMI out of Mac/PC - have just tried connecting Acer laptop and the M51 locks-up. Works brilliantly with all other HDMI sources, no idea why it would not work with Mac/PC HDMI. I'll be checking it out with NAD tech-support and report back as soon as I hear. Guessing it's a software patch but just seems really odd - would have thought HDMI protocol would be the same for a Mac/PC as for any other source?

May 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #163 of 1,623
Quote:
Regarding HDMI out of Mac/PC - have just tried connecting Acer laptop and the M51 locks-up. Works brilliantly with all other HDMI sources, no idea why it would not work with Mac/PC HDMI. I'll be checking it out with NAD tech-support and report back as soon as I hear. Guessing it's a software patch but just seems really odd - would have thought HDMI protocol would be the same for a Mac/PC as for any other source?

OK then my unit is fine and either the M51 needs a software fix or they need to release a driver for win/mac. I had the same assumption as you about HDMI. I mean, my HT receiver certainly doesn't descriminate between computers, bluray players and other HDMI devices. And indeed the M51 is brilliant with the blurays and DVDA discs I have thrown at it via HDMI.

Good luck with their tech support, the online implementation at least. From what I can tell it's just a receptionist named Pam that clearly doesn't know the product, or doesn't read the help tickets thoroughly. She tosses canned overly brief responses that have little to do with the question at hand, response time has been about 48-72 hours as well.
I haven't had a chance to call them, but I am local to their Ontario support center, so perhaps there is someone there in the tech department that isn't just a misplaced HR employee.

I love the unit, sound and feature wise, even if computer HDMI is not part of it's design, no big deal, but I'll have a hard time recommending it if all of their customer support is as abysmal as their online.

May 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #164 of 1,623
I've never had a problem with NAD tech support - they've always been really responsive. I,m sure you'll agree that the M51 is a frighteningly good DAC/Preamp for the money and  and I'm confident there must be fix in the pipeline for Mac/PC - it's still pretty new product and these are just "teething" issues

May 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #165 of 1,623
Quote:
I've never had a problem with NAD tech support - they've always been really responsive. I,m sure you'll agree that the M51 is a frighteningly good DAC/Preamp for the money and  and I'm confident there must be fix in the pipeline for Mac/PC - it's still pretty new product and these are just "teething" issues

Undoubtedly. If you read my post you see I praise it. The sound is top notch as are the features. This one naggle aboue HDMI audio with macs/PCs is more of an inquiry.
But that's not the whole ownership experience... responsive informative support is a big factor for me.

If it were a simple, informative to the point answer, which ever way it went "can't do it" "can do it, send us your unit" "will be able to do it with a driver release for your mac PC, or software update to the unit", it would be fine, but I have received inattentive vague answers from the online support center, at glacial speed.
HDMI audio via PC/mac is not a maker or breaker for me. I would like it, but I don't need it. Them having the slightest idea what I am talking about as a customer wanting suppirt, certainly weighs heavier with me and my wallet.

Like I said, I will call the old fashion support line, and if I find a real person who knows what I'm talking about, then I will be happy, as I will have the ideal DAC for me, and the support that should go with a $2,000 piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back