NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Apr 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #76 of 1,623
Received the N51 today! A tentative wow! Huge soundstage, very neutral sounding, actually pretty close to the Bryston. I'm going to let it cook on play for 4 or 5 days, it def needs break in. Hopefully I'll get in some good listening sessions soon.

Oh and it's a looker.

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #77 of 1,623

Quote:
Received the N51 today! A tentative wow! Huge soundstage, very neutral sounding, actually pretty close to the Bryston. I'm going to let it cook on play for 4 or 5 days, it def needs break in. Hopefully I'll get in some good listening sessions soon.
Oh and it's a looker.

Do me a favor and see how computer audio works for you over HDMI. Mine still locks up with the Mac. I've written NAD and they said they are looking into it, and that it is probably a software issue.

My Marantz universal player works beautifully over HDMI with it, CDs report 44.1k, and interestingly, SACDs report 88.2k, which is odd as the redbook layer should be read, but I won't complain if it's picking up a better sample rate, or even if it just thinks it is.

If you have a PC or Mac with HDMI could you give it a shot for me and tell me what it does ok?

Oh, and congrats!

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #78 of 1,623
I have an old Mac.. Quad G5. No hdmi. You don't mean USB do you? Do new computers have hdmi now? New macs should be out next month.. I hope. Doubt they wil have HDMI though.. But idk.

Really nice highs on the Nad... Like buttah. Pre is pretty darn good too..l but I'm only burning the Nad in in my second system, so I won't know how it stacks against the supratek.

M
Thanks! For the congrats

Hey I hope they will let us upgrade the Nad so I don't have to lug it in to a dealer every time!

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #79 of 1,623

Quote:
I have an old Mac.. Quad G5. No hdmi. You don't mean USB do you? Do new computers have hdmi now? New macs should be out next month.. I hope. Doubt they wil have HDMI though.. But idk.
Really nice highs on the Nad... Like buttah. Pre is pretty darn good too..l but I'm only burning the Nad in in my second system, so I won't know how it stacks against the supratek.
M
Thanks! For the congrats
Hey I hope they will let us upgrade the Nad so I don't have to lug it in to a dealer every time!

No, I mean HDMI, unless I write USB, then I mean USB 
smile.gif

Almost all current computers have HDMI. Macs included (mini and pro for sure... macbooks no). USB is fantastic with the NAD so is TOSLINK, I just want to explore other options, since they are there. On the HDMI side with the mac it's a bit of a bust. HDMI from my bluray/SACD player is however great. Sounds like maybe NAD just needs to release a driver (if computer audio over HDMI is something that they want to support)

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #80 of 1,623
Gotcha. I will be running bluray and the food tv through the dec. Probably the best way, then single out to tv? 
Also I have a desktop mac, I do web design, logo design etc. (See http://www.mentalpixel.com ) so I need the power. I run the Squeezebox server up stairs on that computer hopefully upgraded soon, to a SB Touch --> USB -->NADM51 --> Supratek Sauvignon pre --> Manley Mahi Mahi mono amps --> Merlin VSM MX

Right now the NAD is burning in in my 2nd system. What do you think for burn in, like 4 days?
Thanks!
M

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #81 of 1,623

Quote:
Right now the NAD is burning in in my 2nd system. What do you think for burn in, like 4 days?
Thanks!
M

I didn't really notice any burn in changes. I have on some headphones before, but it was perhaps placebo. This DAC has sounded fantastic from day 1, I recommend just listening to music with it, rather than waiting for something to happen that may or may not.
smile.gif

If you're a firm believer in burn in, then sure, give it a few days, but I would rather spend those days listening to it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #82 of 1,623
Ill run it and switch it into my main system on Friday. I do notice differences, speakers, power cables, etc..
I have a logitech Harmony remote too, so I have to set that up too, to run the NAD...
In my second system, I notice a big difference. Big top end airiness, nice decay, attack.
Detail is really good too.
This DAC won't improve your bad recordings. Instead of pulling all the recordings to a nice comfy middle place where most music will sound good, your music stays truer to the recording quality. Flat recordings sound flat. At least when using the DAc and pre functions.

M

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #83 of 1,623

Quote:
This DAC won't improve your bad recordings. 

No it sure won't. It's quite transparent. Good recordings sound phenomenal, bad ones have their worst parts exposed.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #88 of 1,623

Quote:
How do you bypass the preamp ?

I don't believe you actually can, so if you are using it, you are using it as a preamp, technically.
I leave mine at 0db and control my amps volume with it's dial, as it has a nice potentometer / volume pot.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #89 of 1,623
Well you can set the output to fixed and run everything out to another pre.  Just fix it at 100 or loudest.  or you could use 2 volume knobs. 2 is always better than 1!
M

Ill see Friday, maybe I will boot my pre too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back