NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #61 of 1,623
Nice. My amps are single ended so I'll just use converters for the balanced. Not sure if it will replace my preamp though. I have a supra trek Sauvignon preamp, made in Australia... Great pre. Amps are Manley Mahi mahis. Speakers are Merlin Vsm mx and a Velodyne sub. Can't wait!

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #64 of 1,623
 where you bought? I enquiry that said only Aug have stock.

Lenbrook Sg (the local distributor) told me that it was only coming about June but I managed to get a 2 week old unit from someone who was renovating his house and selling some stuff so that it wouldn't get damaged from the renovation.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #66 of 1,623
If anyone out there with an M51 could check on something for me I would appreciate it.

We have HDMI in, meant for DVD or BluRay (as no DSD decoding in the DAC, SACD would only give us normal redbook PCM), what I am wondering, is if it can accept the I2S format over HDMI? From something like a PS Audio PW Transport, or perhaps the W4S Music Server.

If anyone has an I2S device with HDMI can you give it a spin? I don't see any mention of it in the documentation, but I also don't see it as incompatible.

I've tried connecting the HDMI out of my Mac Mini to the NAD, results were underwhealming. Not because of the sound, it was fine, it just used Apple core audio, crashed any kind of bit perfect app, and also locked up the DAC. I couldn't change sources, or shut it off, I had to cold boot it each time I got the HDMI signal connected.

Again, there was no mention of computer audio over HDMI, but it also doesn't go into any detail, so I gave it a shot. Seems to not be meant for that, I'm wondering the same about I2S over HDMI.

Thanks in advance to anyone with answers.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #67 of 1,623

Quote:
I've tried connecting the HDMI out of my Mac Mini to the NAD, results were underwhealming. Not because of the sound, it was fine, it just used Apple core audio, crashed any kind of bit perfect app, and also locked up the DAC. I couldn't change sources, or shut it off, I had to cold boot it each time I got the HDMI signal connected.

Again, there was no mention of computer audio over HDMI, but it also doesn't go into any detail, so I gave it a shot. Seems to not be meant for that, I'm wondering the same about I2S over HDMI.

What do you mean by Apple core audio?

This is concerning to me because that is exactly how I was thinking about using it.  Glad I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.  Perhaps the HDMI is only for video associated audio but that would be disappointing.

Is the MacMini even capable of outputting 24/192 via HDMI?

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #68 of 1,623

Quote:

What do you mean by Apple core audio?

Apple's operating system level audio handler, easily defeated with Bit Perfect / Audrivana / et al.

This is concerning to me because that is exactly how I was thinking about using it.  Glad I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.  Perhaps the HDMI is only for video associated audio but that would be disappointing.

Is the MacMini even capable of outputting 24/192 via HDMI?

I have no problems with Toslink or USB. It just seems it wasn't designed with PC audio over HDMI in mind, that or something is up with my unit, or I am leaving something important out..
I'll write NAD and see what the deal is.

There is no reason that it can't put out 24/192 over HDMI, it's well within the specs of the HDMI standard, just a matter of compatibility with the device. Again, I'll write NAD. It just may not be a feature of the M51. I wouldn't let it deter you from buying one.

I did find out that it accepts I2S over HDMI, few devices output this, but it accepts it.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #69 of 1,623
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #70 of 1,623

Quote:

Apple's operating system level audio handler, easily defeated with Bit Perfect / Audrivana / et al.

I have no problems with Toslink or USB. It just seems it wasn't designed with PC audio over HDMI in mind, that or something is up with my unit, or I am leaving something important out..

There is no reason that it can't put out 24/192 over HDMI, it's well within the specs of the HDMI standard, just a matter of compatibility with the device. Again, I'll write NAD. It just may not be a feature of the M51. I wouldn't let it deter you from buying one.

I did find out that it accepts I2S over HDMI, few devices output this, but it accepts it.

Ok, thanks for the info, keep us posted about the compatibility with the MacMini over HDMI.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #71 of 1,623

Quote:

I've had a few lockups with the M51 using HDMI as well. In my case my signal chain is  DirectTV hd box -> wireless HDMI sender -> M51 ->TV.  I believe that my lockups have been when I've power cycled the wireless HDMI sender while the M51 is on and set to the HDMI input. It seems likely that something in the HDMI renegotiation handshake is causing it to lock up, but it doesn't occur 'normally' when the sender is already on and I power up the Direct TV box.  I haven't tried HDMI audio from a PC yet, but sending PCM over HDMI from an Oppo DVD player hasn't run into any problems.

BTW - I think you are most likely mistaken on the I2S over HDMI question. PS Audio simply used the HDMI connector to transmit I2S signals - there is no standard for this, and it's absolutely unrelated in any way to HDMI audio/video.   Where did you get the info that the M51 supports it?

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #72 of 1,623

Quote:
BTW - I think you are most likely mistaken on the I2S over HDMI question. PS Audio simply used the HDMI connector to transmit I2S signals - there is no standard for this, and it's absolutely unrelated in any way to HDMI audio/video.   Where did you get the info that the M51 supports it?

No there is no standard, but PS Audio and Wyred 4 Sound are both taking a similar (and from what I hear, coincidentally compatible) approach with I2S over HDMI. Which is why I am hoping someone out there has access to a PW Transport, or a W4S mini server to test if they are by chance compatible with the NAD. More so the W4S server, if compatible I would snap one up and use it as a dedicated source.

Here is the info I have found by searching around.

Next generation connectivity includes I2S inputs via HDMI and an Asynchronous USB input featuring audio codec 2.0 with 24bit/192 kHz support. There is also an HDMI video pass-through allowing the M51 Direct Digital DAC to strip the 2 channel PCM sound track from Blu-ray and DVD discs while passing unprocessed video to the video display, creating a 2.0 Home Theater experience. Finally, traditional S/PDIF inputs supporting AES/EBU, Coaxial and Optical connections with 24 bit 192 kHz resolution are also provided.

It comes from this brochure.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeterhoagland.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F08%2FNR-NAD-M51-Direct-Digital-DAC-1-09-2012.doc&ei=VHCVT5_7B4ay8ATxhcWVBA&usg=AFQjCNE1PciFql8KnwjvFpTw5Rh3wZ-Q7Q

And again here in the NAD official datasheet from their website.

http://nadelectronics.com/download.php?111221101428-NAD_M51_DataSheet.pdf|Data%20Sheet%20-%20M51%20Direct%20Digital%20DAC

> Next Generation Connectivity
While the M51 includes the industry standard SPDIF inputs,
including AES/EBU, Optical and Coaxial. The M51 also
includes the latest USB technology fully supporting 192kHz
sample rates, allowing direct connection of a PC or Mac. HDMI
provides an encrypted HD Audio connection in PCM’s native
I2S format up to 24 bit 192kHz.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #74 of 1,623
Look at the upside - you can always find a new partner, but good DACs are somewhat harder to come by. 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back