N.O.S. AKG K340 unboxing - lots of PICTURES
Jun 17, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 95
Yeah I'm going to see if I can work something out about a claim.  I'll post more impressions soon, just been too busy to listen much.  But every time I do, they put a big smile on my face, and often I just start laughing.  They seem to manage that elusive combination of extention/detail and natural warmth.  Really impressive!  I'm trying to hold myself back though because I don't want to have to take back a whole bunch of gushing
wink_face.gif

I'm starting to think that dynamic headphones aren't capable of smooth treble extention.  Haven't heard the T1 though...

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #33 of 95
I think the k340 is one of the most under rated headphones. Congrats on snagging a nos pair, it looks fantastic!

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #36 of 95
I don't think I'll mod them I was thinking about doing the screen mod, but don't have the heart to even remove the grills yet cause they are so mint now.  I bought a modded pair to compare to them, and the the two sound very similar.  I haven't done enough direct comparison to say much more, and the differences in pads has a big enough effect that it's hard to tell.  But they sound similar enough for me to think that the immaculate condition of these K340 contributes a lot to the SQ. 

So far, they sound pretty close to how I always wanted the K340 to sound.  They sound like my Sextetts- that glorious midrange, except they improve on all the sextett's weaknesses.  These K340 have tighter, more detailed bass, and none of the grain and rolloff that is present on the Sextett's treble.  The K340 treble is extended, smooth and very detailed.  It also improves on the pinpoint imaging of the sextett, likely due to the increase in detail from the electrostatic drivers. 

They are warm when called for, but also very revealing and seem fairly transparent to me.  I get the feeling that I am hearing into the recording very well, and that the headphones are not getting in the way much.

I'm hoping to do some more comparisons between the sextetts, HD600 and modded K340  and Fostex orthodynamics soon and post some more detailed impressions. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #37 of 95
I'm kinda confused. The K340 in the current AKG catalog is an ear bud device.

How long has this electrostatic K340 been out of production?

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 95
Over 10 years at least. AKG are annoying the way they use their numbering system. I would love to find a list of AKGs and their years of production, but even their own site only lists more recent headphones.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 95
Dynamics just fall flat in terms of smoothness & the effortless way the music is portrayed... It's literaly flows like running water without a hitch.. Ortho/Electro are just much better in that area.. Really no contest. & I'm a dynamics man..

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to see if I can work something out about a claim.  I'll post more impressions soon, just been too busy to listen much.  But every time I do, they put a big smile on my face, and often I just start laughing.  They seem to manage that elusive combination of extention/detail and natural warmth.  Really impressive!  I'm trying to hold myself back though because I don't want to have to take back a whole bunch of gushing
wink_face.gif

I'm starting to think that dynamic headphones aren't capable of smooth treble extention.  Haven't heard the T1 though...

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #41 of 95
The only real fault I can really find with the K340 so far is that the mids seem to be slightly recessed or clouded.  Like there's a bit of a dip somewhere there.  I'm guessing that it is due to lack of power though.  Everything else just sounds right though.  Smooth, even, rich and also detailed.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #42 of 95
You can remove the whole screen plate and use the stock screws if you use some washers to make up the difference.
You may need a wee bit of padding to keep the earpads  off the inner baffle. But it will give you a feel of what
the headphone is grill-less but it reversible as well. 

Quote:
I don't think I'll mod them I was thinking about doing the screen mod, but don't have the heart to even remove the grills yet cause they are so mint now. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #43 of 95
I actually couldn't resist and swapped screens with my modded pair.  It did seem to open them up a bit.  And it's more comfortable too cause there's more room for my big ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back