Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #286 of 818
If you want to hear the typical Sabre glare on the DAC+ or Liberty try the optical in. For some reason both DACs are unlistenable for me on optical in but the USB input does not have the glare.

When I was using the Brooklyn+ at my workstation I had to use a Schiit Bifrost just for the Toslink connection to my TV on my multi-monitor stand. I complained to Mytek and sent the unit back to NY to be checked out and they said it was fine.

I have no clue why Mytek can't make a product whose varied audio inputs do not sound equal. If Schiit can do it Mytek should also.

Anyone contemplating spending $2000 - $3000 for a DAC should not forget to consider the Yggy A2. Unlike Mytek it is modular and can be upgraded so no planned obsolescence.

Schiit has already talked about their new proprietary USB implementation that is in beta testing now. I don't expect to see it offered as an upgrade until late in 2019 though ... they are still upgrading Yggys to Analog 2. Mike starts talking about their new USB 24 minutes into this video:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #288 of 818
Got the sbooster and it does not work.the company I got it from says they are going to mail me a new one. Basically it just puts the Brooklyn into an endless loop of stopping and restarting. I called mytek and they said that if it works with the internal power supply and not the S booster the problem is the S booster. I was not able to get it to start with the S booster and as soon as I removed it plug back in the power cord it works fine. So I guess I got a faulty unit and hopefully the person will be a man of his word and send me a new unit as he said he would.

Bad luck! At least it didn't damage your B+. Where did you get your sbooster from?

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #290 of 818
assuming the guy sends me a new unit and it works then no harm no foul. it did not damage
the B+. i have the internal power supply on and it's working fine. i got the unit from audio sensibility in toronto.

Just for due diligence, did you double check that you did in fact get the 120V version from the sticker on the body?

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #292 of 818
assuming the guy sends me a new unit and it works then no harm no foul. it did not damage
the B+. i have the internal power supply on and it's working fine. i got the unit from audio sensibility in toronto.

Steve has a good reputation in the audio world.

Get a volt meter and test the center pin for 12 volts. Outer part of jack is negative.

Did you get the mk1 version or mk2?

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #293 of 818
Steve said he is going to send me a new unit so i will
just be sending this one back when the new one arrives. Not sure how to tell
which version this is?

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #296 of 818
Well damn...I set the output voltage to 13.2V. It's even better! I immediately noticed a wider and deeper soundstage. Everything sounded more airy too.

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #297 of 818
got a call from steve at audio sensibility today, ( i don't celebrate holidays) and he mea culpa'd that
he sent me the 5v unit by accident. so he is sending
me a new 12v unit and will pay for the return shipping of the 5v unit. so that was
the issue that i was using the 5v unit and that's why it was not working.

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #298 of 818
So steve sent me the correct version but sent my friend in texas (who recommended steve to me) a 24 v sbooster which could have fried his brooklyn dac. fortunately due to my issues
he checked it as soon as it arrived and low and behold it was the wrong unit as well!!!

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #299 of 818
So steve sent me the correct version but sent my friend in texas (who recommended steve to me) a 24 v sbooster which could have fried his brooklyn dac. fortunately due to my issues
he checked it as soon as it arrived and low and behold it was the wrong unit as well!!!

I'd always verify with a voltmeter.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back