Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #781 of 818
May 4, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #782 of 818
I just picked up a Brooklyn Bridge I and using it solely as a bedside wireless Roon streamer/headphone amp. Works wonderfully so far. I am a little confused with how much I need to turn the volume up though. To get to a comfortable listening level I'm at 50 on the dial. Listening through my Focal Stellias. Is this normal?

May 6, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #783 of 818
I just picked up a Brooklyn Bridge I and using it solely as a bedside wireless Roon streamer/headphone amp. Works wonderfully so far. I am a little confused with how much I need to turn the volume up though. To get to a comfortable listening level I'm at 50 on the dial. Listening through my Focal Stellias. Is this normal?

No, it does not sound normal. We would probably have to see all your settings to spot what's wrong.

I don't know how Roon works with this device, is there any other volume control involved aside from the Brooklyn's?

May 9, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #785 of 818
The volume seems to be controlled through roon and the BB simultaneously. Changing one affects the other
You should max out the volume on the Roon and control the volume at the Brooklyn.

Of course, the Brooklyn volume has to be turned all the way down before you do that, to avoid blowing your brains out :wink:

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #786 of 818
I have the Brooklyn Bridge and love it hooked up to the Brooklyn Power amp and playing back through speakers. However I'm not a fan of its inbuilt headphone amp so I'm going to buy a headphone amp. I'm assuming this will be workable and I'm getting a Beyerdynamic A2.
What would be the best way to hook up the Brooklyn Bridge to the Beyerdynamic headphone amp and bypassing the Bridges inbuilt headphone amp? I assumed it would just be RCA connection from the Brooklyn to the Beyerdynamic, but the doc from the Beyerdynamic seems to suggest that it can connect to a power amp???
So to cut to the chase should I connect the headphone amp to the Brooklyn Bridge or the Brooklyn Power amp?

Have attached screenshots of relevant doc from Beyerdynamic A2 Headphone amp manual.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.32.41.png
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 11.34.33.png

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #787 of 818
Does the Bridge not have XLR outs? If not, then run the RCA outs into your amp. When they show power amp on the diagram, I guess they mean *integrated* rather than a pure power amp with no volume control.

On my DAC+ there is an option to run 0 dB out the jacks and this is the way it should be set up. Volume at the source should be 0 dB and the listening volume should be controlled at the amp.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #788 of 818
Does the Bridge not have XLR outs? If not, then run the RCA outs into your amp. When they show power amp on the diagram, I guess they mean *integrated* rather than a pure power amp with no volume control.

On my DAC+ there is an option to run 0 dB out the jacks and this is the way it should be set up. Volume at the source should be 0 dB and the listening volume should be controlled at the amp.
Cheers @gimmeheadroom , the BB does have XLR but the Beyerdynamic doesn't. So guessing it's RCA outs from the BB to RCA input on the headphone amp? Would that be RCA input 2 on the diagram on the Beyerdynamic doc?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #789 of 818
@gryffe may I ask you what do you dislike in BB headphone amp? Have you tried Mytek XLR adapter for headphones? This could be potential solution instead of buying a separate amp... Ok, who am I kidding: you will want to buy a separate headphone amp eventually - I am right? :wink:

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #790 of 818
@gryffe may I ask you what do you dislike in BB headphone amp? Have you tried Mytek XLR adapter for headphones? This could be potential solution instead of buying a separate amp... Ok, who am I kidding: you will want to buy a separate headphone amp eventually - I am right? :wink:
It's not that I dislike it as such, just that I like the idea of a headphone amp, so yeah you are probably right lol. We're always looking for improvements arent we, no matter how small. And it is a gorgeous looking headphone amp.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #791 of 818
Cheers @gimmeheadroom , the BB does have XLR but the Beyerdynamic doesn't. So guessing it's RCA outs from the BB to RCA input on the headphone amp? Would that be RCA input 2 on the diagram on the Beyerdynamic doc?
I guess any RCA input would be fine

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #792 of 818
I guess any RCA input would be fine
Cheers, thanks for reply.

I've been asking the same question on other forums and while I'm still waiting for some replies a reply I got on a thread about the Beyerdynamic A2's seems to suggest this might not be quite as simple as I first thought lol. I thought headphone amps were always connected to the main amplifier in a hifi set up?

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #794 of 818
@gimmeheadroom - do you know if RCA ouputs on the Mytek are line level or pre out. The guy on other thread is suggesting it would be better if line level.
I believe they (RCA and XLR) have a menu option to run at fixed output or be volume-controlled. I don't remember what the default is.

Unfortunately, many people don't understand that outputs are line-level so often manufacturers make it default to be controlled by the volume knob and then have to give you an option to make it what it should have been, to avoid warranty and medical claims from the rocket surgeons who blow their brains out by misusing the gear.

On my DAC+, the menu option is Volume and I have it set to BYPASS. Please check your manual.

What the other guy you quoted said is what I said above- source should run fixed at 0 dB (line level) and volume should be controlled at the amp.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #795 of 818
Cheers, thanks for reply.

I've been asking the same question on other forums and while I'm still waiting for some replies a reply I got on a thread about the Beyerdynamic A2's seems to suggest this might not be quite as simple as I first thought lol. I thought headphone amps were always connected to the main amplifier in a hifi set up?
Not necessarily, no. They can (are intended) to be hooked up to any line level output. That could be a receiver, CD player, integrated amp, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back